Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Please Fix Iambic A Keying Mode

Jerry Gardner
Jerry Gardner Member
edited February 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Please fix Iambic A mode so that it works like it should. I discovered it's broken when my Winkeyer developed a problem and I had to switch to the Flex built-in keyer.

There are three iambic modes: basic, iambic A (Curtis), and iambic B (Accu-Keyer). The difference between them is how dot/dash memory is implemented. Basic iambic doesn't have dot or dash memory. Iambic A has dot, but not dash memory, and iambic B has both dot and dash memory. The SmartSDR implementation of Iambic A is really basic iambic with neither dot nor dash memory.

Here's how to tell the difference: set the internal keyer to its slowest speed (5 WPM). Send a "N" as fast as possible (quick tap of right paddle followed quickly by a tap of left paddle while still holding the right paddle, and then let go of the right paddle before the dah is finished). In true iambic A, this should result in the keyer generating an N. In the SmartSDR implementation it generates a T because it doesn't properly implement dot memory.

Now try sending an "A" quickly by quickly tapping the left paddle followed by quickly tapping the right paddle while still holding the left paddle, then quickly release both. In iambic A this will result in the keyer generating an E (because there's no dash memory). In Iambic B the keyer generates an "A".

Comments

• Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I have never heard your description of iambic A & B.

My understanding:
    Mode A (also known as original Curtis) has no memory, dot or dash.
    Mode B has memory for both.

It is further explained in this 3rd party document:
    http://www.palm-radio.de/pdf/IambicPaddleModeAorBfunction-1.pdf

K8RC
  • Jerry Gardner
    Jerry Gardner Member
    edited February 2018
    See the app note for the Curtis 8044--it distinctly mentions memory.

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~malcolm/radio/8044print.pdf

As it was written by John Curtis himself, the designer of the 8043 and 8044, and the one who coined the terms Iambic A and Iambic B, I'd consider it definitive over any other reference, including the one you posted,
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Have YOU read John Curtis' explanation? It agrees with the document I posted.

Read it again, sir.

• Jerry Gardner
    Jerry Gardner Member
    edited February 2018
    Yes, I've read it. He talks about dot/dash memory in this paragraph:

"Dot memory is absolutely essential in any serious electronic keyer. Dot memory allows a keyer to remember that you hit the dot key even though you hit the key early and did not wait for the dot to commence. Send a fast “N” on any keyer to test this feature. You cannot hit the dot and dash key fast enough to prevent both transmitting. If you do not have dot memory, the dot will be lost in most cases."

The Flex Iambic mode A does not implement either dot or dash memory, and hence loses the dot when sending an "N".

I have a keyer here based on the Curtis 8043 and I just tried it--it implements dot memory, but not dash memory.

The WinKeyer implements Iambic A with a slight variant on the Curtis method--it implements dot memory and partial dash memory.
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    The part you're quoting from that document are AFTER the introduction of Type B. The last sentence of the section you just quoted IS:

"For true iambic operation, both dot and dash memories are required for reliable dot or dash insertion."

WHICH IS TYPE B!!! 

So put it on type B if you need help with your dits. 

-sk-

• Jerry Gardner
    Jerry Gardner Member
    edited February 2018
    That's not the point. The point is that the definitive reference for correct type A behavior is the Curtis IC, and SmartSDR doesn't implement it correctly.
  • Pat
    Pat Member
    edited December 2018
    Jerry, 

Did you ever get movement on this with Flex.  I'm a new Flex user (6400) and new to CW.  I thought it was my cheap MFJ paddle, but you described the issue I'm having exactly.

Is there a solution w/Flex?  Or is an external keyer a solution?
  • Steve KD2OM
    Steve KD2OM Member ✭✭

This is still an issue. I saw the problem first with the key I made from a kit. I thought it was a poor dit contact since I haven’t used it for many years. I cleaned and realigned the contacts but still have the missing dit as described in the first post of this thread almost three years ago. Still thinking it was the key, I borrowed a Bencher and found the same problem. Using these same keys on my old K1, the problem doesn’t occur. I appears that in 3 years the keyer function has not been corrected.

73 Steve KD2OM

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭

My 6600M works the same way as every iambic keyer I’ve ever had: to send a “C” in mode A, release the paddles after the second dit. In mode B, after the second dah.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.