Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Pictures of Dayton 2017?

124»

Answers

• David Orman
    David Orman Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Hi Ria, I searched and found your FB but didn't see any photos from the FRS booth. Could you link to them? Thank you and hope you're having a great time at Hamvention!
  • Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I used the indoor restrooms several times without any line.   However access to the site was a different story. I stopped at a gas station 1.7 miles from the Hamvention at 7:59 AM Friday and wasn't parked in the Hamvention lot until 9:41 AM.   Traffic in Xenia was horrible.   Exiting the sight wasn't much better taking me 40 minutes to get from where I was parked onto the street in front of the fairgrounds.   
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Maybe that is the future of the Hamvention... Flea market /extreme sport / some gear, all rolled into one event. :)
  • Jerry  WA9UKB
    Jerry WA9UKB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Did notice no XLR Mic Jacks on the new radios? Also in the radio comparison features on the new and old models they left out the 6500?
  • Howard
    Howard Member
    edited May 2017
    I did also cancel TG , I can't imagine being at that flea market , 1/2 the normal size with no room for expansion , I noticed a complete lack of large truck vendors in the videos by w5kub  , the large guys bring things like Collins 20v3 broadcast transmitters and lots of great gear each year , mud reminded me of Woodstock . I cancelled my trip 3 days ago , plane tickets , hotel . It usually rains at Dayton at least one day and this grass field can't workSad I missed it after being an ongoing Hamvention visitor for 37 consecutive years . This venue will shrink the hobby and the proof will be next years attendance , not this years. We desperately need a new venue in a new city . 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    The 7300 sold because it's CHEAP.  The 6400M is CHEAPER than the rumored list price for the IC7610. Jaws were dropping in Kirkland. They're either going to have to lower the price or make some major revisions. 

Several in my contest club were all gung ho on the 7610 until they saw it in person. The lack of a 2nd knob was a huge let down. I also could not get any real answer from Icom whether it would have I/Q output or not. Someone even told me it looked like they just jammed two 7300s into one box.  The remote software was awful, really doesn't look like it has been updated since introduced many years ago. 

The two things they had - knobs and price - are now features of the new Flex models. The only thing that may save them is the name recognition and the anti-Flex bias by some people. 

Icom got their clock cleaned this weekend.

Ria
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    It's a long way off from a final version. However since it doesn't need FCC approval it will be quicker to market.

Ria
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    You can also undock CWX and the other controls. It's cool!

Ria
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    To be honest I don't think people want change. Dayton is a central area, not on the coasts and cheap. There are high end conventions in ham radio. They have less attendance because by and large most hams are older and on a fixed income. When gas went up to $3 ($4 in California) attendance dropped like a rock. People told me it was too expensive to come there. Maybe $40 or $50 in gas more was a deal breaker to them. Now if you take their cheap, national hamfest in an expensive city like San Francisco, Vegas or NYC and charge $100 or even $60 a ticket it will be whittled down to pretty much nothing. I think it will drop to 1/3 the attendance.

Orlando does seem like it can overtake Hamvention though. But again, it's done at the central florida fairgrounds. Seems like the 2nd largest hamfest in the Americas doesn't realy have a problem with cow sheds. And you can't tell me that Florida isn't hot. 
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Thanks for the post Cliff, you answered one of my concerns about multi-client in the post,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqzh9L7MiJw&feature=youtu.be
    from 00.16 to 00.27
    Thank you very much I will be borrowing this if you don't mind.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Thanks for the post Cliff, you answered one of my concerns about multi-client in the post,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqzh9L7MiJw&feature=youtu.be
    from 00.16 to 00.27
    Thank you very much I will be borrowing this if you don't mind.
  • W9TVX
    W9TVX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Wonder it Flex will be upgrading the resolution of Maestro to 1900x1200 - would certainly make it more attractive to me
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Oh that "IS" cool.
    @Ria the other controls you mention that can be undocked,
    is antenna selection one of them?
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Not by itself, but with a panadapter. That could always change, however. 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Also I would take anything Pat says with a bottle of Himalayan pink salt. :)

Here's a yuge reason why they couldn't have Hamvention this weekend at the convention center:
    https://www.aworldafair.org/

They had 30k attendees last year.  Hamvention had fewer. You think that the convention center would bump the 2nd oldest and largest conference in Dayton (yes, bigger than the hamfest)? Not likely at all. 

They could try to move the weekend, but so many things are anchored around that weekend in May. 

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I run a local net and just got off the air with some of our guys who have been attending since the 1960s, and considered Hamvention the hilight of their year ham wise.

As one said, the flea market was a sea of mud, and cars had to be pulled out of it. The buildings were so hot that the vendors would be talking to you and reivers of sweat would be running off them. The rest room situation was simply unacceptable. He finished with saying that DARA has a lot of problems. 

Another called it the Xenia mud pits. 

Wonder how the multitudes of scooters made out there?

So this is the future of the biggest Hamfest in the world, a great start, and people are going to go there for that

As noted before, we'll see how things go next year, as people vote with their wallets. 

• Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Thank you.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    That's "Yuge" all right! 
    About the only way that could happen DARA would have to change their date.

• Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I would ask Dell about that.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.