Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Pictures of Dayton 2017?

KY6LA_Howard
KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
edited August 2020 in Amateur Radio Interests
Could someone post pictures of the Flex Booth especially V2 WAN Stations and any new pics of the sites and sounds Hopefully not a repeat of prior years image

Answers

• David Orman
    David Orman Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Definitely would enjoy some pictures of the FRS booth, specifically of the 6600Ms if they are on display, front/rear/sides. Video would be even cooler.
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Point of Order - It's now the Xenia Hamvention.

Over 15 miles from Downtown Dayton and over 20 mi from Hara.
    Not even in the same county as Dayton/Hara.
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Even the ARRL has changed:  (from their Facebook page)image
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Sorry Bob, they can move it but it will always be called Dayton Hamvention. The BBB might not like it but it will still be Dayton to the rest of the world. :)

• Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Actually, the world has had it wrong for some time. It was the Trotwood Hamvention.

Seriously, I hope it survives the change. The Greene County fairgrounds are not that impressive. 

• Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
     Vehicle traffic in Xenia was horrible...gridlock on main streets...had to park at the high school and was bused to edge of fairgrounds, then boarded golf carts and tractor-pulled trailers for last half mile to convention gate.  Thunderstorms yesterday, today, and forecast for Saturday and Sunday.
  • David Orman
    David Orman Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Manage to get any pictures from the FRS booth? Sounds like there needs to be a name/experience discussion thread.
  • Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Very humid and hot !
    No Air conditioning except for one building with talks !

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Getting ready to cool off ...storms coming.image
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Sounds like Xenia is living down to everyone's worst expectations.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Apparently the Flea Market is situation in a Water Catchment Basin so the rains will help float the junk away
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I came very close to going to Xenia when a seat and room opened up. But the wife suggested a long weekend in Cape May. Smart woman! Sounds like a better choice. Hotel with oceanfront room on the beach. did some hiking, had  a nice cooling swim and now enjoying a Summer Shandy on the balcony while reading my mail. This is good.

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Where else are you going to sit on a tractor pulled trailer to go to a tech convention though, Howard? Kinda romantic like a fall hayride with yer main squeeze. Hopefully there was a person on hand to lead a sing-a-long and we can sip on hot mulled cider. 8^)

• Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    An embarrassment to the US Ham Radio Community.  It seems we're turning into a 3rd world country.  This year I opted for a nice scuba diving vacation instead.  XYL is happy and so am I.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Howard, you're making me have dyslexia - or something.  :)
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

I keep on hoping that it will fail miserably so that they can move to a real convention center in a real city with convenient air connections.

Anyways heading back to France soon.

• Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I'm hearing increasingly strong rumors after year 2 at Xenia, Dayton 2019 is headed for the Seattle Convention Center. It's 100% air conditioned, ppl!  WhooHoo!!

Br,
    Larry
    WA7LZO

• SteveJ
    SteveJ Member
    edited May 2017
    Surprised you didn't go to the Hamvention this year Howard.  I thought you always went.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I think it is  a matter of going forward, or going backward. Amateur radio is moving forward. Hamvention is not. Going the fleamarket oriented route is just putting them in competition with other fleamarkets in other areas in other venues like Timonium. The question is will the big vendors and sellers continue to go if the attendees are looking for Collins Radios, and HeathKit HW-101's. That's the question. I even like old Collins radiosand old Heathkits. But I'm not travelling 8 hours and staying several days in a hotel for the Flea Market experience. 

It's unfortunate that the promoters don't understand that complaints are gifts, not something to consider as an attack.
  • SteveJ
    SteveJ Member
    edited May 2017

Don't believe the rumors.

• Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Word on the street is this is solid!
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I have gone the majority of years since 1961 However when they decided not to upgrade to a real convention center, I decided to avoid it as a protest against the 3rd world status
  • David Orman
    David Orman Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Was nobody able to actually get in, including FRS? "Pictures of Dayton 2017" would indicate pictures are appropriate, and aside from an upside down cd and a weather radar screenshot, I've yet to find a single post anywhere with photos/video of FRS's booth/radios. Did anybody manage to acquire any?
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    The thing that finally drove me over the edge was the human poop floating on the floor.
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Maybe it's classified, and Ham ppl don't want to wind up like the sailor on the sub who took a pic of the reactor!
  • Cliff Batson  N4CCB
    edited May 2017
  • Cliff Batson  N4CCB
    edited November 2019
  • David Orman
    David Orman Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Is the screen actually mounted incorrectly in the Hamvention 6600M? Hopefully that's just a camera angle issue, and not a lack of QC/concern for a just-announced new product at a large convention. I actually like the radio and have pre-ordered one, but that is a little disconcerting if it's being shown intentionally with a defect like that. Thank you for actually posting photos!
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I think it is just the perception you get when a photo is taken close up with a wide angle lens
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Is the screen permanently mounted or is it removable ?
    If not it would have been ideal to have a removable front panel that you could carry around the house or use it remote.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.