Pictures of Dayton 2017?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
Could someone post pictures of the Flex Booth especially V2 WAN Stations and any new pics of the sites and sounds

Hopefully not a repeat of prior years

Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3642 Posts
  • 1473 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Michael Aust

Michael Aust

• 135 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Lot's of folks got muddy shoes and wet socks !
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3642 Posts
  • 1473 Reply Likes
W6VNR, report from Dayton
Agree with most of what Howard wrote. New venue is better then Dayton’s bathrooms. Other then that-

Traffic is very bad, I left hotel in Dayton Crown Plaza at 9:15am arrived 11:30 am.
Hot, no shade, no AC.
The new place has shrunk some of the walkways were booths are located about 1⁄2 or more of the aisles that were in Hara. Making for very congested walking. It was like walking in Times Sq. on New Years Eve.
The maps of vendors were misleading to me.

Joe, W6VNR
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3642 Posts
  • 1473 Reply Likes

Hi, all you who are interested, join you fellow hams who are reporting issues in the new venue for Dayton Hamvention.  

THERE IS A HUGE, very huge CONVENTION center across the street from the Crowne Hotel in Downtown Dayton.. Plenty of parking.  

I suspect it is $$$  I know a lot of hams are cheap, but isn't it a good thing to bring in more visitors from other countries?  

Cheap,,,,,,,, but to have a nice place is got to be worth a few extra $$.  

PLEASE WRITE THE CONVENTION ADMINISTRATORS

if u need a list, I will send to anyone interested.

Joe, w6vnr  --- Joe Cayman t32ah@earthlink.net

Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3642 Posts
  • 1473 Reply Likes
One of the lame excuses for XENIA was to preserve the Flea Market.. But looking at the pictures of the MUDBATH and the lack of antendees it is pretty obvious that the Flea Market was an abject Failure...
Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

• 905 Posts
  • 233 Reply Likes
I run a local net and just got off the air with some of our guys who have been attending since the 1960s, and considered Hamvention the hilight of their year ham wise.

As one said, the flea market was a sea of mud, and cars had to be pulled out of it. The buildings were so hot that the vendors would be talking to you and reivers of sweat would be running off them. The rest room situation was simply unacceptable. He finished with saying that DARA has a lot of problems. 

Another called it the Xenia mud pits. 

Wonder how the multitudes of scooters made out there?

So this is the future of the biggest Hamfest in the world, a great start, and people are going to go there for that

As noted before, we'll see how things go next year, as people vote with their wallets. 
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1317 Posts
  • 668 Reply Likes
I drove into the main lot Friday and Saturday. Friday was slow parking, but Saturday went much better taking less than ten minutes to park

So many things are different, some better some worse, that I will do a write up later.

Steve
K9ZW
Photo of Ross - K9COX

Ross - K9COX

• 340 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1770 Posts
  • 541 Reply Likes
Maybe that is the future of the Hamvention... Flea market /extreme sport / some gear, all rolled into one event. :)
Photo of W9TVX

W9TVX

• 46 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Wonder it Flex will be upgrading the resolution of Maestro to 1900x1200 - would certainly make it more attractive to me
Photo of Ross - K9COX

Ross - K9COX

• 340 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes
I would ask Dell about that.