Pictures of Dayton 2017?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
Could someone post pictures of the Flex Booth especially V2 WAN Stations and any new pics of the sites and sounds

Hopefully not a repeat of prior years

Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3522 Posts
  • 1378 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of David Orman

David Orman

• 58 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Definitely would enjoy some pictures of the FRS booth, specifically of the 6600Ms if they are on display, front/rear/sides. Video would be even cooler.
Photo of Steve W6SDM

Steve W6SDM

• 616 Posts
  • 280 Reply Likes
Howard, you're making me have dyslexia - or something.  :)
Photo of Jerry  WA9UKB

Jerry WA9UKB

• 31 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Did notice no XLR Mic Jacks on the new radios?
Also in the radio comparison features on the new and old models they left out the 6500?
Photo of Bob Craig, K8RC

Bob Craig, K8RC

• 204 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
Point of Order - It's now the Xenia Hamvention.

Over 15 miles from Downtown Dayton and over 20 mi from Hara.
Not even in the same county as Dayton/Hara.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3521 Posts
  • 1377 Reply Likes

Not surprising since that field is part of the Water Catchment Basin to prevent flooding of the race track

Sewage Volcano or Mud Bath....

Gotta Love the 3rd World that Dayton tries to live down to...

Still an embarrassment for the USA no matter how much it serves the "Ordinary Ham"

Photo of Peter K1PGV

Peter K1PGV, Elmer

• 541 Posts
  • 315 Reply Likes
I'm not much of a "convention goer"... I don't even much enjoy attending technical conferences at which I'm presenting.

But, having said that, I have to agree with Howard. From the pics I've seen Xenia looks hot, wet, and dreadful. Humankind has developed air conditioning and actual buildings (with, you know, actual walls) for good reasons.

If the Hamvention was at a big, modern, comfortable conference center I might at least consider attending. Fairgrounds... not so much. But that's just me.

K1PGV

(Oddly enough, I actually LIKE going to the fair. See the animals, watch the judging, eat fried dough. It's a good time.)
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2252 Posts
  • 874 Reply Likes
if that was what people wanted then Dayton would be dead and everyone would be going to Visalia, Ham Com or other hamfests held in convention centers.
Photo of Larry - WA7LZO

Larry - WA7LZO

• 155 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
I just don't understand why Hams aren't grateful for this temporary (1 more dreadful year in Ohio until Seattle 2019---WhooHoo!) change of venue. I mean, I heard there was not poop floating on the floors this year! Comon, ppl!
Photo of Cliff - G4PZK

Cliff - G4PZK

• 18 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
It was always my dream to go to Dayton (or wherever it's moved to now) but looking at this picture it looks a million years behind Friedrichshafen's very modern, well organised, mud free!, conference halls. Looks like I made the right choice again this year, Germany it is.
(Edited)
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1701 Posts
  • 579 Reply Likes
Getting ready to cool off ...storms coming.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3522 Posts
  • 1378 Reply Likes
Apparently the Flea Market is situation in a Water Catchment Basin so the rains will help float the junk away
Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

• 786 Posts
  • 183 Reply Likes
Where else are you going to sit on a tractor pulled trailer to go to a tech convention though, Howard? Kinda romantic like a fall hayride with yer main squeeze. Hopefully there was a person on hand to lead a sing-a-long and we can sip on hot mulled cider. 8^)
Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 745 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
An embarrassment to the US Ham Radio Community.  It seems we're turning into a 3rd world country.  This year I opted for a nice scuba diving vacation instead.  XYL is happy and so am I.
Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

• 786 Posts
  • 183 Reply Likes
I think it is  a matter of going forward, or going backward. Amateur radio is moving forward. Hamvention is not. Going the fleamarket oriented route is just putting them in competition with other fleamarkets in other areas in other venues like Timonium. The question is will the big vendors and sellers continue to go if the attendees are looking for Collins Radios, and HeathKit HW-101's. That's the question. I even like old Collins radiosand old Heathkits. But I'm not travelling 8 hours and staying several days in a hotel for the Flea Market experience. 

It's unfortunate that the promoters don't understand that complaints are gifts, not something to consider as an attack.
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2252 Posts
  • 874 Reply Likes
Nearly everyone I met had a good time. Yes, there are some growing pains but it is a positive this year vs last. Vendors sold out of a lot of stuff! I couldn't find a TYT DMR radio for love or money. Everyone was sold out. Those of us who actually went there know the real story. You can't judge by hearsay. The mud was problematic but for a brand new venue it went remarkably smooth.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3522 Posts
  • 1378 Reply Likes

I keep on hoping that it will fail miserably so that they can move to a real convention center in a real city with convenient air connections.

Anyways heading back to France soon.

Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

• 786 Posts
  • 183 Reply Likes
The important question of course, is not what people will say after this Hamvention, 

What is critical is next year and the year after. It will be declared a great success - of that there is no doubt. But will the people return? I have not seen anything that entices me.
Photo of SteveJ

SteveJ

• 83 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Surprised you didn't go to the Hamvention this year Howard.  I thought you always went.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3408 Posts
  • 1294 Reply Likes
I have gone the majority of years since 1961 However when they decided not to upgrade to a real convention center, I decided to avoid it as a protest against the 3rd world status
Photo of Larry - WA7LZO

Larry - WA7LZO

• 154 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
The thing that finally drove me over the edge was the human poop floating on the floor.
Photo of Howard

Howard

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I did also cancel TG , I can't imagine being at that flea market , 1/2 the normal size with no room for expansion , I noticed a complete lack of large truck vendors in the videos by w5kub  , the large guys bring things like Collins 20v3 broadcast transmitters and lots of great gear each year , mud reminded me of Woodstock . I cancelled my trip 3 days ago , plane tickets , hotel . It usually rains at Dayton at least one day and this grass field can't workSad I missed it after being an ongoing Hamvention visitor for 37 consecutive years . This venue will shrink the hobby and the proof will be next years attendance , not this years. We desperately need a new venue in a new city . 
Photo of David Orman

David Orman

• 58 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Was nobody able to actually get in, including FRS? "Pictures of Dayton 2017" would indicate pictures are appropriate, and aside from an upside down cd and a weather radar screenshot, I've yet to find a single post anywhere with photos/video of FRS's booth/radios. Did anybody manage to acquire any?
Photo of Larry - WA7LZO

Larry - WA7LZO

• 155 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Maybe it's classified, and Ham ppl don't want to wind up like the sailor on the sub who took a pic of the reactor!
Photo of Cliff Batson

Cliff Batson

• 16 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Photo of Cliff Batson

Cliff Batson

• 16 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Photo of Michael Aust

Michael Aust

• 135 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Looks like direct competition with SDR Sun EXPERT MB1 Rig and ICOM 7610 Rig's

Guess FlexRadio wants to known as a real Radio Company rather than just a High End PC SDR Box company

Great move on FlexRadio part and it's image in the new SDR Transceiver marketplace !

Think it was a smart move by them !
(Edited)
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3506 Posts
  • 1364 Reply Likes
The M6400. Is the IC-7610 killer with better specs, 2 VFO Knobs, better software and infinitely less klunky remote
Photo of James Watts

James Watts

• 37 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Howard, lets revisit your statement next year. I think it's a bit premature to exclaim the M6400 is an IC-7610 killer. If market conditions of the IC-7300 are any indication (fastest selling transceiver to reach 10,000 units in history), I believe Icom and the IC-7610 will sell many rigs. Now, depending on what or how you measure "Killer" status, published specs might be better on the FLEX 6400M, but I believe the IC-7610 will sell many many more units than the 6400M at the same price point.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3506 Posts
  • 1364 Reply Likes

Agreed - it is far too early to tell.. but based on Specs and Features the M6400 with 2 VFO knobs, likely better performance, Definitely Better Remote Software, and a lower price should be ultra competitive with the IC-7610

OTOH.. as Wal-Mart (and likely Icom) continue to prove, no one ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of their consumers. 

Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2252 Posts
  • 874 Reply Likes
The 7300 sold because it's CHEAP.  The 6400M is CHEAPER than the rumored list price for the IC7610. Jaws were dropping in Kirkland. They're either going to have to lower the price or make some major revisions. 

Several in my contest club were all gung ho on the 7610 until they saw it in person. The lack of a 2nd knob was a huge let down. I also could not get any real answer from Icom whether it would have I/Q output or not. Someone even told me it looked like they just jammed two 7300s into one box.  The remote software was awful, really doesn't look like it has been updated since introduced many years ago. 

The two things they had - knobs and price - are now features of the new Flex models. The only thing that may save them is the name recognition and the anti-Flex bias by some people. 

Icom got their clock cleaned this weekend.

Ria
Photo of Lee - N2LEE

Lee - N2LEE

• 268 Posts
  • 138 Reply Likes
Is the screen permanently mounted or is it removable ?
If not it would have been ideal to have a removable front panel that you could carry around the house or use it remote.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3428 Posts
  • 1305 Reply Likes
If you want a removable screen then get a non M version radio + Maestro
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2199 Posts
  • 849 Reply Likes
Permanently installed. You can also use a maestro with it.
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2252 Posts
  • 874 Reply Likes
Photo of Paul Christensen, W9AC

Paul Christensen, W9AC, Elmer

• 313 Posts
  • 132 Reply Likes
I lasted all of four hours yesterday. The combination of heat/humidity did me in -- although it felt much hotter than it really was.

Inbound traffic was a complete nightmare. Local law enforcement was on top of it and controlling it to the best of their ability but there's a bottleneck from the north and south. I don't think there's a means for controlling it any better other than to build additional lanes.

Had a chance to see the new 6400/6600 and discuss it with a few of the FRS folks. All staff were knowledgeable about the product . Fit and finish is of the usual high FRS quality.

I can understand the need to integrate the panel with the transceiver - there are so many ops who just cannot wrap their heads around a multi-piece transceiver. That's a shame because they would likely be happier with a Maestro as a detached panel. In the case of the 6600, there's little difference between the price of the 6600M and a 6600/Maestro combination. Why anyone just has to have the panel permantely attached is beyond me.

A bit disappointed though with the large cabinet size of the non-M versions and lack of a dedicated Rx loop. The TrsV port may suffice but that creates a tactical problem when using a transverter and the need for external loop filtering/processing. So, the 6700 may still be more agile in this area. Also, most ops will probably prefer to have mic, headphone, and CW key jacks on the front panel. I routinely change these devices and rear panel access can be a hassle. Of course, one could always use a set of "Y" adapters and bring one end out on a pigtail sufficiently long enough to reach the front.

The 7th order preselector is a welcome addition in the 6600/6600M and hopefully FRS has an upgrade path planned for existing 6700 owners.

Lots of new equipment offerings from other vendors, especially RF amplifiers. Exciting times!

Paul, W9AC
Photo of W5XZ - dan

W5XZ - dan

• 564 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
great job, paul. thanks
Photo of Cliff Batson

Cliff Batson

• 16 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
A couple of video clips from the Elecraft Booth @ 10:00am on 5/20/2017

https://youtu.be/dwj6ChxsK8g

https://youtu.be/Dqzh9L7MiJw

Enjoy. - Cliff (N4CCB)
Photo of Craig Williams

Craig Williams

• 59 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
would you believe Flex booth?
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2174 Posts
  • 835 Reply Likes
I have pics on my Facebook. I'm going to post product photos from multiple vendors tonight.
Photo of David Orman

David Orman

• 58 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Hi Ria, I searched and found your FB but didn't see any photos from the FRS booth. Could you link to them? Thank you and hope you're having a great time at Hamvention!
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 460 Posts
  • 105 Reply Likes
Thanks for the post Cliff, you answered one of my concerns about multi-client in the post,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqzh9L7MiJw&feature=youtu.be
from 00.16 to 00.27
Thank you very much I will be borrowing this if you don't mind.
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 460 Posts
  • 105 Reply Likes
Thanks for the post Cliff, you answered one of my concerns about multi-client in the post,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqzh9L7MiJw&feature=youtu.be
from 00.16 to 00.27
Thank you very much I will be borrowing this if you don't mind.
Photo of Terry K8EET

Terry K8EET

• 92 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Do any of these units come with video output?
Photo of David Orman

David Orman

• 58 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Yes. You can see there is HDMI out on the specifications page/back panel of the device. I believe it's resolution restricted. Please see the product page for specifics.
Photo of Mike - VE3CKO

Mike - VE3CKO, Elmer

• 334 Posts
  • 127 Reply Likes
Both the 6400M and 6600M have HDMI output as shown on the Flex website and as demonstrated on the LED TV above each radio in the video of the Flex booth.
http://www.flexradio.com/amateur-products/flex-6000-signature-series/flex-6600/
http://www.flexradio.com/amateur-products/flex-6000-signature-series/flex-6400/
Photo of Larry - WA7LZO

Larry - WA7LZO

• 155 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Thanks for posting the brochures, Mike!
Photo of Wim

Wim

• 90 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
This fella has a good twitter feed on Dayton activity
https://twitter.com/ke9v
Photo of Rick - N4RZ

Rick - N4RZ

• 48 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
The resolution of the external display is the same as for the display on the M models, 1920X1200. From what I was told, the non-M models do not have the option of displaying to an external device  because they require a computer/Maestro/IOS device for the display processing.
Photo of Larry - WA7LZO

Larry - WA7LZO

• 155 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Does anyone know what those 3 tall knobs and shafts are??
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 805 Posts
  • 149 Reply Likes
On the Tuner Genius...  I was wonderin' the same thing
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2191 Posts
  • 844 Reply Likes
They're for manual tuning.
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 805 Posts
  • 149 Reply Likes
Interesting one could use these to tune the Short Wave broadcast bands.

Thanks for the reply.
Tim
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1701 Posts
  • 579 Reply Likes
Switch to select local or remote adjustment. In local, the other two are to adjust L and C.

Regards, Al NN4ZZ
Photo of Larry - WA7LZO

Larry - WA7LZO

• 155 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Cliff, Thanks for the excellent videos. Every bit as good as actually being there! Outstanding job on showing everyone that could not make it there what the new Flex radios actually look like.
Photo of Larry - WA7LZO

Larry - WA7LZO

• 155 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
But why are they so tall and sticking straight up, and wuzzup with their physical locations and orientation? Something to do with a lab test sample?
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1701 Posts
  • 579 Reply Likes
Think it is not the final version.

...Al NN4ZZ
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2252 Posts
  • 874 Reply Likes
It's a long way off from a final version. However since it doesn't need FCC approval it will be quicker to market.

Ria
Photo of John - K3MA

John - K3MA

• 254 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes
Undocked SmartSDR panadapters.

Photo of Bob Craig, K8RC

Bob Craig, K8RC

• 204 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
Look at the picture, Larry. Two slices and the settings panel have been separated into Three "undocked" windows.
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2252 Posts
  • 874 Reply Likes
You can also undock CWX and the other controls. It's cool!

Ria
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 512 Posts
  • 119 Reply Likes
Oh that "IS" cool.
@Ria the other controls you mention that can be undocked,
is antenna selection one of them?
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2252 Posts
  • 874 Reply Likes
Not by itself, but with a panadapter. That could always change, however. 
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 512 Posts
  • 119 Reply Likes
Thank you.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3522 Posts
  • 1378 Reply Likes

I must admit to being a Hamfest Junkie.  I have been going to Dayton most years since 1961.  In my youth (1960's 1970's) I attended a Hamfest somewhere in the world nearly every weekend if a project took me close except when I had a project that made travel impossible..../

For the last couple of Decades I have also attended Friedrichshafen, Visalia, Tokyo to name a few. 

I go to eyeball friends around the world, see the latest innovations, buys NEW stuff at discounted convention prices and share a lot of Adult Beverages. 

OTOH I rarely if ever buy anything in the Flea Market because the stuff I have throw in the garbage is usually newer and better quality that the stuff for sale.

However.. in the last few years, most of the Hamfest's have now moved into Modern Convention Centers with real walls, Air Conditioning, Real Food and Adult Beverages... sort of the norm for the 21st Century...Most are convenient to Airports.  Yes the Flea Markets have become a pale shadow of yesteryear everywhere.. but you only had to look at the Mudbath to see that is now true at XENIA as well..

Bottom Line: For the Hamfest that bills itself as the Premier USA Ham Event, the choice of 19th Century Cow Sheds (albeit better than the Sewage Volcano)  rather than a Modern 21st Century Convention Center is a real disappointment.  I have Ham Friends around the world who after attending Dayton comment how 3rd World Dayton is and how much the USA has deteriorated over the years. 

So far, with the exception of Ria.. who sees the bright side of everything....I have been getting consistent negative reports from most of my friends who attended,

Quoted from Pat WA6MHZ- an avid Flea Marketer

" I get an "I TOLD YOU SO!!!!" on the Flea Market!! You cannot have a tailgate on Grass. wait till Sunday when they need to have a ZILLION Tow Trucks to pull the vendors out of the mud!!!  The Infield is going to be completely trashed with all the vehicle activity.  They need to have the Flea Market on PAVEMENT!!!"

Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3522 Posts
  • 1378 Reply Likes

Ria.. Of course, the Ladies Restrooms were not an issue as the distaff side of Ham Radio is a significantly smaller percentage of attendees...

OTOH.. the men were stuck with porta-potties.. albeit better than Hara Sewage Volcanos...

It is unrealistic to expect that an alternative site will gain traction.. The Ham market is small and vendors only have a limited amount of funds to expend on Conventions..

OTOH.. if enough people complain loudly enough change will happen

Photo of Rick - N4RZ

Rick - N4RZ

• 48 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
I used the indoor restrooms several times without any line.   However access to the site was a different story. I stopped at a gas station 1.7 miles from the Hamvention at 7:59 AM Friday and wasn't parked in the Hamvention lot until 9:41 AM.   Traffic in Xenia was horrible.   Exiting the sight wasn't much better taking me 40 minutes to get from where I was parked onto the street in front of the fairgrounds.   
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2252 Posts
  • 874 Reply Likes
To be honest I don't think people want change. Dayton is a central area, not on the coasts and cheap. There are high end conventions in ham radio. They have less attendance because by and large most hams are older and on a fixed income. When gas went up to $3 ($4 in California) attendance dropped like a rock. People told me it was too expensive to come there. Maybe $40 or $50 in gas more was a deal breaker to them. Now if you take their cheap, national hamfest in an expensive city like San Francisco, Vegas or NYC and charge $100 or even $60 a ticket it will be whittled down to pretty much nothing. I think it will drop to 1/3 the attendance.

Orlando does seem like it can overtake Hamvention though. But again, it's done at the central florida fairgrounds. Seems like the 2nd largest hamfest in the Americas doesn't realy have a problem with cow sheds. And you can't tell me that Florida isn't hot. 
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2252 Posts
  • 874 Reply Likes
Also I would take anything Pat says with a bottle of Himalayan pink salt. :)

Here's a yuge reason why they couldn't have Hamvention this weekend at the convention center:
https://www.aworldafair.org/

They had 30k attendees last year.  Hamvention had fewer. You think that the convention center would bump the 2nd oldest and largest conference in Dayton (yes, bigger than the hamfest)? Not likely at all. 

They could try to move the weekend, but so many things are anchored around that weekend in May. 
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 512 Posts
  • 119 Reply Likes
That's "Yuge" all right! 
About the only way that could happen DARA would have to change their date.
Photo of Jeff - G4IUA

Jeff - G4IUA

• 108 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
...or have the fleamarket all indoors as in Friedrichshafen!
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3522 Posts
  • 1378 Reply Likes
Remoting From Xenia

My station located in La Jolla California is one of many stations connected through SmartLink and being demonstrated at the flex booth. It looks like the booth was pretty busy as I see more than a couple of dozen logins or connections to my station from Xenia

The only annoying thing is that I had sound muted here and remoted to Xenia. But occasionally someone would ounmute the sound and routed to my station in La Jolla which wakes up the dogs and causes them to Bark
(Edited)