PGXL April 2019 Updates

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
Thread is to ask those that have ordered the PGXL and have Received the Amplifier a few questions.  All hoping that those that have received the Amp can give others some answers to many asked questions.

Upon your receipt of the "Greatest Amp In Ham Radio History".....
-  When did you order it?
-  What was your PO Number
-  When did you get it?
-  How was the Setting Up?
-  First Impressions?

Will stop asking these questions when the units start to ship on a regular bases...

Thanks
Photo of Richard

Richard

• 123 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Joseph

Joseph

• 21 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Well, maybe this explains everything.  I may be the only person that didn't know that Flex farmed out the design and mfg of the PGXL.  Were the Flex 6xxxx radios also designed/mfg by them?  Does anyone know the history of Flex and what their relationship with 4o3A/Sky Sat is?  Made in Montenegro?  Does Flex do full service in the states?  Does $o#3A also sell these radios in the states?  Inquiring minds want to know!
(Edited)
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3795 Posts
  • 915 Reply Likes
#1 Flex did not farm out the design and manafacturing of the PGXL. It is a joint buseness adventure between the two companies. Both companies worked on the design according to Flex tight specs.
403A has a grade A plant for the manafacturing. Flex does full testing at Flex before any amp is shipped.

#2 The Flex radios are designed by Flex, Many suppliers suplies parts as well as the cases. The radios are asembled in a plant close to Flex. All 6000 radios are tested and made ready for shipping at the Flex company

#3 Gerald with a freind started a fun project in Geralds home making the first SDR ham radio. They worked on the hardware and began writing software for it witch became known as PSDR. Other people began asking about Geralds project and asked him to make one for them. And it grew from there. Starting with the Flex 1000, 1500, 3000, 5000, now the 6000 radios. 6300, 6500, 6700, 2400, 6600, 

#3 Flex does full service at the Flex factory in the US.

#4  I beleive the amps are only sold through Flex.

(Edited)
Photo of Joseph

Joseph

• 21 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I had no idea of this background.  Thanks for the information.  I am sure an "adventure" it truly is! What was Flex doing before this?

Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3795 Posts
  • 915 Reply Likes
When Gerald was playing with SDR as a project, It was a few years before he started his company, Called Flex Radio. And he kept developing Power SDR.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3795 Posts
  • 915 Reply Likes
Here is an video of Gerald talking about his venture,,if your interested
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBlkinewdHM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSViMXsHrSk
(Edited)