Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PG XL Power On Question

Reg
Reg Member ✭✭
edited August 2020 in Power Genius XL Amplifier
I received a PG XL amplifier a little over two weeks ago.  Aside from the fact that it arrived from FLEX loaded with a developmental build of the PG XL firmware which didn't work.  A simple downgrade to the stable version fixed that.  However, I can't seem to find a way in the documentation and PG XL app to turn the amplifier on and off without going behind the radios and manually turning on/off the switch on the rear of the PG XL.  Is there a method that I am overlooking?

I have 4 transceivers and 4 amplifiers in the radio room at 4 operating positions.  For all 4 transceivers and 3 amplifiers I can turn them on/off from the front panel.  For those of us using racks or custom cabinets this is a pain.  Help me, I hope the rear switch isn't the only way to turn the PG XL on/off.

Thanks.

Reg

Answers

• HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    For the time being I leave the switch on and just plug/unplug the cord from the wall outlet.  In my case it's a lesser pain.  In the near future I'll add an inline power switch at my operating position.  However, during lightning season I'll continue to unplug the amp when not in use.  Others may leave the amp on full time in standby - in that mode it draws very little power. 

Some more ideas using relays:

https://groups.io/g/FlexRadioSmartSDR/topic/pgxl_remote_operation/23755462?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,23755462

Howard
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Have thesame issue with a couple KPA-1500 amp Power supplies I think that present day style dictates that  power switches be placed in an area that is inconvenient. 8^) For me, Access to the switch involves laying on the floor and crawling under the counter. 

Just as Howard does, I just plug and unplug the power supply directly. 
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019

Nothing like having a $7000 amp that you have to use the line cord as the power switch :)
    Its always the simple things that get missed.

• [Deleted User]
    edited March 2019
    The KPA-1500 has a separate power supply which can be placed out of the way. Mine sits on a lower shelf. I never have to turn it off with the rear switch. Just shut the amp itself off. Only time I shut off the supply is when we have a power outage or t storms then I unplug it.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I did as Howard did, I used a 110V relay coil 3 pole Relay and switch the Amp OFF and ON with my Web based Power Switch not because the Power switch is on the back BUT some times the AMP needs to have a power reboot if you have a firmware update, or if your network goes down and the AMP looses it's IP or the Amp application and Radio just stops talking to the Radio. 
    I run my station remotely and for me this is the Ideal way of running my station all remote. 

73's
    WX7Y

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Interesting.  I had assumed the STANDBY/OPERATE button on the front panel also powered up the PG-XL.  I'm guessing the PG-XL's rear mounted power switch was chosen as a cost savings measure?  Reaching around the rear of the amplifier or having to rig up a remote switch arrangement certainly doesn't sound convenient.  Does anyone know if this is the final power switch design?

I like the way Alpha did this on my 87A, two heavy duty switches on the front panel, one for on and the other for off.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I seriously doubt the design of a front power switch on the PG-XL was simply "missed."
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019

Below is Ranko/4O3A’s explanation of the rationale.

Howard

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/power-genius-xl-remote-operation-questions-with-flex6700-ssdr?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all

PG XL main power supply is OFF when in STBY mode. 24V AUX power supply remains ON and LAN/display is powered. STBY/OPERATE will be controllable from SmartSDR directly, and it's a way to switch PG XL ON/OFF.

I hope it helps.
    Ranko

• Reg
    Reg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Ranko:

Thank you.  I didn't see this in the documentation.  When I go to Standby and the entire front panel is still "ON" I assumed the amplifier was "ON".

Reg
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    image DPST 30A relay with a 110v coil. Tripped by my 110v wifi switch. The relay I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...
  • Reg
    Reg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Ranko:

Any chance of adding an optional screen saver to the front panel display.  There have been a lot of display panel issues in the industry in recent years.  Some of the early ICOM IC-7610 had defective displays that went bad with use.  The design wherein the rest of the amplifier is powered down while in Standby mode is interesting but I am bothered by the fact that the screen stays on.  It is a touch screen so a touch could turn it back on.

Thanks for considering my suggestion.

Reg
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Reminiscent of the Max headroom show where TV sets weren't allowed (by law) to have an off switch. 

_..--
    k3tim / 7
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019

I'm sure they put the Mains power switch on the back to give the amp a more clean, less cluttered look.
    Unfortunately that makes a simple thing like turning off the mains power a bit more of a pain in the ****.

Because the PGXL is network/IP capable it needs some power for the network part of the amp to be on all the time for remote access. 

• Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Can't say it's a surprise, not to me at least. Having the ACOM 1000 and SPE Expert 1K-Fa, both with their main AC switch on the back of the amp. Nothing new with the PG XL having it in the same place. I don't like it either ...but seems to be the way the manufacturer places the switch today.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Is there any difference between using the PG-XL's rear mounted on/off switch, compared leaving the switch on and switch the power on to the amplifier with a 240vac Contactor? 

My concern is the possible voltage spikes that a 240v Contactor might generate into the Amplifier.  Is this a concern, and if so, what can be done about it? 
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The chassis switch is just a DPST switch in the AC Line, the same as a External Power relay. 
    Spikes come from when the Power Switch doesn't make a HARD quick connection and to me a external contactor (Relay) is MUCH cleaner then a manual operated switch, afterall how many times have you heard a sizzle when you turn on a high current AC Power switch.
    If your talking about the surge like a DC relay produces on the coil this just doesn't come into play on the AC side of the Realy.

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Actually I haven't heard a sizzle in an on/off switch since my Collins days.  In modern equipment it wouldn't surprise me if internal components are used to absorb the surge components, prior to voltage spikes reach delicate computer components and such.  In my case I added a 240v Surge Protector in parallel with the 3-pole Contactor and found my PG-XL transitions to its 'on' state much more smoothly than without it.
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Connect Wemo switch to the 120v power wires - red connectors on image above and you can turn PGXL ON/OFF from Wemo application on your phone. I use it for my Espresso mashine
    https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Enabled-Google-Assistant-HomeKit/dp/B01NBI0A6R/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=SUwHqgguqE0NrqOS6Xo3WA&hsa_cr_id=7511173810701&ref_=sb_s_sparkle_slot

Actually like this idea with relay above.
    If i hide my PGXL behind my desk to reduce the noise I may build it.
    Sergey, KN7K
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited January 2020
    My PGXL is remote, so I have a remote 240AC relay on the AC line that is controlled by 12V relay.  I usually leave it on 7x24 unless there is a Lightning issue.  

When this switch is on and the amp is Soft off, there is a 24V power supply that remains powered in order to allow it to respond to software commands as Ranko said.

There is really no difference in the mechanics of the DC controlled remote relay or the mechanical switch on the back.   Both have moving leaves/contacts to make contact.

If you are concerned about voltage spikes, they will come from external sources well beyond your AC switch or DC Contactor.  

Mike

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.