Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Persistence on VFO B

Rick  WN2C
Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
VFO B persistence? When I have VFO A on 40 meters and open a second slice that I have had previously had opened on 75 meters, it does not go back to 75 it goes to 40 and down into the CW portion where I may have been at some other time. VFO B never opens where I was when I closed it. Is this normal?

Rick 

Answers

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I am having similar odd behavior. I just upgraded to a 6700 from a 6300. I wonder if smart sdr has any of the 6300 settings somehow memorized and that creates and issue. Might be resolved with a reset. I also do not get the band selector to do anything on some of the bands. I haven't messed enough with it to know what are the exact steps i take to produce the issue. I basically push the 40 button on the band and the tx slice disappears but the panadapter remains in the sane band I was without a tx slice, just empty.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Rick: I believe the observed behaviour is normal.  I tried this on a 6500, A on 40, opened B and set it to 80m via BAND.  Closing B and reopening it was then on 40m.  Note the WIDE was no longer highlighted, meaning the bandpass filters were active for 40m.  Perhaps it works this way to keep active  the BP filters when adding slices.  Saving the A and B into a global profile and opening said profile later DOES result in A=40m and B=80M.  For persistence to take effect one has to save the profiles.

When switching from a 6300 to a 6700 I would expect one to have to generate new profiles but will leave that one for Tim.

BTW I read the user manual for these questions and did not them addressed.

Regards All,

k3Tim

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I am pretty sure in my case is user failure with the new radio. I am even thinking that a brand new install of the software might be the way to go.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I so dislike reinstalling s/w to fix a problem. I did that once with an SDR complete erase and install only to find it didn't help.  Later real troubleshooting determined the cause.  This case maybe a bit different since it's two different radios.  One would think the proper global profile should be all that is required, although that's a pure guess on my part.

There are a lot of stations out here that have upgraded, hopefully they'll jump in and lend their expertise.  Suspect a lot of folks on this group are recovering from the weekend contest. :-)

Good Luck....

Tim

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    I just upgraded to a 6700 from a 6300. I wonder if SmartSDR has any of the 6300 settings somehow memorized and that creates and issue.

it does not unless you imported your FLEX-6300 profiles into the FLEX-6700
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Salvador - I can guarantee that re-installing SmartSDR has about zero chance of making a difference.  What I do suspect is a problem with the persistence database that is resolved by doing a factory reset.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Thanks Tim. I will proceed with the Factory reset before I start saving things like memories and profiles.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I performed the Factory Reset and works flawlessly now. Thanks again.
  • John Orjias
    John Orjias Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    so i'm going to send this back if that is really the only solution after 5 years i have already had the persistent database get messed up 2 times and its only 2 days old. 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    John things have changed a bit lately, here is how to reset the persistence

Go to import export profiles. Chose export. Un check preferences and then export profiles. Do a cold reset, power down, pull the power cord out for 30 seconds then re start the radio. Now import with preferences un checked. Restart the radio. You will now have a clean persistence data base.

• John Orjias
    John Orjias Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I did a factory reset, I did not even reload a profile/ i just did a factory reset and it worked and then today after a little bit of use it was messed up again. My point is. i should not have to reload a profile or do a factory reset every day just to keep the radio working. The factory reset removes everything including the profile so beings its a new radio and i have not really done anything special yet i did not have to reload a profile. in any-case it was 2 times in 2 days the database got corrupt.

i did find this about the fan so probably not an issue,  the radio rebooted while it was booting and thats why it ended up being restarted 2 times in less then 30 seconds

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036859212-Resolving-the-single-red-blink-Fan-Error-on-Start-Up

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.