Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PC asigning ports asigned by SSDR-CAT?

k0eoo
k0eoo Member ✭✭
edited March 2017 in SmartSDR CAT
6500, V0.15.3 SSDR-CAT, I have noticed behavior I didn't notice with V0.13.10. When I plug in a new serial adapter into the PC's USB port the PC (W7pro) assigns one of the virtual ports assigned by SSDR-CAT to the new adapter just plugged in. And, consequently there is an error with the new port... When I first brought my new PC with the V0.15.3 I noticed that behavior so I uninstalled SSDR-CAT and added all my serial adapters and then installed SSDR-CAT. That procedure resolved the problem of dual naming of ports. But, moving forward this is not good behavior. So, did I do something wrong or is this a problem.

Comments

• BobT
    BobT Company Adviser
    edited September 2013
    No, you did everything right, you were the victim of a rude piece of software :>). Some USB->Serial converters default to high number ports, others go for the low numbers. The ones that go for the high numbers (like FlexControl) don't usually cause any problems. CAT is designed to start at COM4 just to try to avoid conflicting with motherboard ports and devices that favor the low numbers. We can't really extend that beyond COM4 or we will loose valuable low number ports needed by some legacy third-party programs, some of which only allow ports to COM8. I'm not sure there is a reasonable way to avoid this on the CAT side. It may just be a matter of reassigning the port of the serial converter when it happens. Installing the serial device and then letting CAT do its thing is one way of avoiding the conflict but may deprive you of a needed low number port depending on your logging/contesting/digital programs. BobT
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Thanks BobT, appreciate the explanation...
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    If you go into the advanced driver settings, for the serial port you just added, you can change the port from what the PC OS assigned, to one that's not being used. Restart your PC and all is well with the world.... So, this seems to be an easy way to get around the port assigning conflict problem you described....

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.