PC and FLEX-6000 lose network contact

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Solved
Hi Tim,
Flex 6500, Win 7, DDutil, MixW, Dual Core PC, two monitors, fed via USB DVI adapter. It is usually precipitated by a warning that the graphics driver has stopped but recovered. In losing audio, you also lose contact between Smart SDR and the computer, necessitating a complete reboot. If you simply restart Smart SDR, you do not regain communications with the Flex 6500. A hard reboot of both is necessary. It is not related to transmitting, but will happen when no activity or when using the USB mouse to change frequency or some other parameter.

Note: This topic was created from a reply on the Audio stopped working topic.
Photo of Brian Morgan VK7RR

Brian Morgan VK7RR

• 53 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9148 Posts
  • 3466 Reply Likes
Brian,

This sounds like a resource contention issue where the PC has momentarily stopped to process data and that is causing the Ethernet connection to stop streaming data.

The USB video is suspect. What is your CPU load on the dual core PC? If it is greater than 60-70%, you are over taxing your system.
Photo of Dudley - WA5QPZ

Dudley - WA5QPZ

• 212 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Brian,

You might want to make sure the mouse is on a separate USB Root Hub from the USB video. If you are feeding both monitors from the USB video, try feeding at least one from the internal video, to see if that helps, better off using a dedicated graphics card, but have to agree with Tim, sure sounds like a computer resource issue. Once the ethernet stops streaming, a radio reset maybe needed to recapture the radio control, and computer restart, as Windows will flag the ethernet controller as a defective device.
Photo of Brian Morgan VK7RR

Brian Morgan VK7RR

• 53 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Hi Dudley and Tim,
I have solved the problem but can't really tell you the cause! I removed all comports, plus virtual comports, and reinstalled DDUtil. Since then neither issue has re-appeared. I ran the Flex 6500 for over 12 hours, Saturday and Sunday, without a problem, plus worked nearly 30 JA's on 6, using SSB and CW. I had thought it was related to something to do with DDUtil as it only appeared when I had that program running. And yes, I did have RCP 1 loaded (the program is unstable unless it is selected).
I regard the problem as solved.
Thanks to you both for your thoughts.
And Dudley, I set up one monitor off of the CPU board, and one off the DVI adapter, when first installing them, so this was never an issue.
But as with all problems, every idea is appreciated.
73 Brian VK7RR/4

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.