Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PC versus Mac

Options
Bill Carnett
Bill Carnett Member ✭✭
I've been using a Mac with Parallels for past few months with Flexradio.  Works fine, I think.  Sometimes there is a little lag on the waterfall when I'm tuning but suspect that could happen regardless.  The Mac has Intel quad core i7 processor, etc, two monitors, works fine.  Here's my question:  I just saw these Intel Nuc minicomputers....small foot print.  Using a dedicated PC might work well.  I don't like using windows on the Mac for other reasons.  Any real advantage in switching to the dedicated PC?  Performance change expected?  Anybody done Mac versus PC comparison with Flexradio?

Thanks
73, Bill

Answers

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Many of us use our radios inside and outside of OS X via emulation.  Performance widely depends on the hardware being used.

Bare metal performance outside of emulation will always buy you a better experience, but the mac likely has a much better processor and integrated GPU than the NUC.   If you can tell me the exact model of your mac and the NUC you are considering, I can help give you better feedback.

The NUC's use the 15W  UltraBook processors.   Some of the iMac's use the larger 45W desktop class processors, which will perform much better sometimes even with emulation.   You can always install Windows via BootCamp and run it on the bare metal hardware and that would perform better too.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Concur with K6OZY. Apples to apples (sorry!) a good VM is very, very close to a dedicated machine. I do run SSDR and my digital apps in the VM, and they do fine. They are all that's under Windows - have pared down extraneous apps and services for a smooth, clean desktop. I do have plenty of RAM and a solid video card. Both help a lot.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I also use Parallels with my 6300.  The best way to do a direct comparison is to run windows on bootcamp.  That way, you are not running windows as a VM, you are running your laptop natively on windows.  When I want to troubleshoot a problem that might appear is a problem of running in a VM environment, I switch to bootcamp.
    With all that said, I much prefer running my Mac Laptop or iMac with Windows 10 as a VM on Parallels and OS X.  I can then run my favorite logging software "MacLogger DX" with my Flex.

• Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Whole heartly concur with the above statements.
  • Mike - ZL1MRC
    Mike - ZL1MRC Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I hope one day soon a MAC version of SDR software come available!!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.