PC Bridge Connection vs. 6600 Ethernet to Router

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I eagerly anticipate delivery of my 6600, ordered at the Hamvention.  To enable the remote feature of SSDR 2.0, I understand that I can either (1) run an ethernet cable from my home's router to the 6600 and have the PC wirelessly on my LAN; or (2) run an ethernet cable from the 6600 to the PC, establish a "bridge" in Windows 10 per Tim's instructions, and use the PC wirelessly on the LAN.  Is there any disadvantage to the latter method?  I would prefer to use it to avoid having an ethernet cable permanently run from one room (with the router) to another (with the 6600 and the PC).

Thanks for any help.
Photo of Neil D Friedman N3DF

Neil D Friedman N3DF

• 119 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1601 Posts
  • 567 Reply Likes
Something that works quite well for me is having a second wireless router configured as a wi-fi range extender only, in the shack. Connect both th PC and Flex to the extender using CAT cable. You will have internet access for the PC, the speed and reliability of a wired connection between the PC and Flex, and can take advantage of Smartlink and wifi connection in your house using other devices.

Of course, the range extender router must be able to “work” your main wi-fi unit. Mine are on two different floors and work very well. The extender unit must NOT be set up as a second router, with DHCP, etc.

Good luck.

Neil D Friedman N3DF

• 119 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Thank you.  That's very useful information.  
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1218 Posts
  • 252 Reply Likes
Neil,

Why don't you just run a cable from the router to an Ethernet switch in the shack, then plug both the radio and PC into the switch? That will give you the best network performance.

Ethernet switches are fairly inexpensive.

Dave wo2x
(Edited)

Neil D Friedman N3DF

• 119 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
David, I may well do that.  However, I am not thrilled at the prospect of running a permanent cable from one room in the house (router location) to another (radio and PC.
Photo of Greg - N8GD

Greg - N8GD

• 220 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
But a wired connection (from the router) will give you the most reliable and unimpeded (read: not having to share a Wi-Fi channel with anyone else) network/internet connection possible and eliminate a possible source of trouble when using wireless links.

Neil D Friedman N3DF

• 119 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Well, then I guess I am going to have to learn to live with a cable between rooms.
Photo of John - WA7UAR

John - WA7UAR

• 113 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Another idea could be to pull Ethernet cable through the floors and mount a connection faceplate nearest your radio. Not as simple as laying cable across the floor and up the stairs but would give a cleaner look for your visitors. Lots of connection options are possible as imagined in the attached image.
(Edited)
Photo of Greg - N8GD

Greg - N8GD

• 220 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
Fifteen years ago, before I finished my basement with new walls and drop ceilings, I installed CAT5 to each room in the house (except the bathrooms, kitchen, or living room - mama says no electronics in the kitchen or living room!).  I also ran CAT5 for phones.  I have a baseboard mounted jack wherever the CAT5 is terminated and they all go back to a 16-port ethernet switch.  One of these days I'll upgrade to gigabit (by the time I do, faster stuff will be cheaper).
Photo of Greg - N8GD

Greg - N8GD

• 220 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
John: Looks like 120 VAC is the least of your desires!
Photo of John - WA7UAR

John - WA7UAR

• 113 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9153 Posts
  • 3492 Reply Likes
You didn't get a complete answer to your question.  Using a PC to bridge the radio to the Internet requires that (a) the PC be powered on all the time and is another single point of failure in the communication path between the radio and the Internet.  Ideally, you would prefer not to have the PC running just for providing network connectivity.  Also, you are using a wifi link to your router which has limited bandwidth (it's 1/2 duplex), shares bandwidth with all other connected devices and more susceptible to packet loss.

A wired connection is always preferred over one where a wireless link is involved getting to the Internet router. 
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am eagerly awaiting delivery of my 6600 and Maestro next week. However my operating position is on the other side of the 25' room from my router, with no acceptably cosmetic way (per xyl) of running an ethernet cable between them.  I have 135+ mb/sec wireless connectivity to the router from the operating position. Above, KF2T suggests a router "range extender" which is probably possible for my Ubiquity UniFi router. Anybody have a similar setup or suggestions?

Other questions for the community:
1) no 6600 internal wi-fi in the works, right?
2) without internet: a) no 6600 software updates, b) no remote client connectivity - i.e. I could lay an ugly cable across the room and furniture when I needed to do these things? What other functions is the Internet needed/used for?
3) without internet I can still directly connect to the 6600 with an ethernet cable: a) Maestro, b) PC w SSDR, or c) Mac w Dogpark SDR, right?

Thanks in advance for everyone's insights,
Ken, WC6Y
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1601 Posts
  • 567 Reply Likes
1) Right. No wifi in the 6600. Maestro does have wifi.
2) Software updates come via your connected Windows computer (or virtual machine), so software updates are okay. I use Parallels on my Mac for SSDR updates and CWSkimmer. Not much else. The Flex does not need internet connectivity to work, but does for SmartLink remote access.
3) Yes, absolutely.
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for your quick response!
Ken