Paying extra for updates to multiple Flex radios.

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I plan on owning two 6300's and either a 6500 or 6700, so a total of three units.  Will I have to pay $200 per radio or will there be some kind of method that I pay once for all three?

Greg - KØGDI
Photo of Greg - KØGDI

Greg - KØGDI

• 78 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of SteveM

SteveM

• 273 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
I'm not the guy for sound answers. That being said, I think with the way things stand now, SSDR v2.0+ will register with the radio S/N before upgrading firmware. If not, you could run some kind of black market scam - upgrading other people's radios for a smaller fee. In short, I think one pays the fee per radio.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
That never occurred to me but it isn't a bad idea at all. To Greg's concern, I suspect they know where each serial number was sent so it would seem to me fair to expect an upgrade per serial number but where one owns multiple a volume discount likely could be arranged.

I believe I know (how's that for an oxymoron!) there will be security certificates involved with 2.x. If FRS is the CA (certificate authority) then that could be the vehicle used.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1269 Posts
  • 485 Reply Likes
Does Microsoft allow you to use a program free on additional computers? If I have twins shouldn't I only pay once for a doctor's visit?
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
Perhaps not for free, but I have seen discounts at times for multiple user licenses with various vendors. But those are very high volume operations. I wouldn't expect Flex to offer free upgrades to multiple units. I doubt that their sales volume and profit margin would allow It. Perhaps a token "customer loyalty" discount for volume?
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 4015 Posts
  • 975 Reply Likes
Burt, I used to help my church, they had a computer lab with about 20 computers. We bought a license from Microsoft that covered them all.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1269 Posts
  • 485 Reply Likes
But it was more than one license? But you have a point.
Photo of Greg - KØGDI

Greg - KØGDI

• 78 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
That would be very costly to the people that legitimately have multiple Flex radios.
Photo of K6OZY

K6OZY, Elmer

• 542 Posts
  • 212 Reply Likes
In my astrophotography hobby,  I have two telescopes on two different mounts in my observatory.   The software that runs the telemetry (ACP) is subscription based and costs $400 a year to renew each.   I have two pay it twice because I have two telescopes.  The software that drives the telescope camera (MaximDL) costs $150 a year too.  This is how many markets operate.

I'm confused at how two v2.0 upgrade fees would not be expected since you own two radios?   This seems exactly as it should be.
(Edited)
Photo of Greg - KØGDI

Greg - KØGDI

• 78 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Paying $600 a year for updates on three radios is a bit costly to me.  If you pay separately for something and you are fine with it, that is ok.  But I'm hoping that something can be worked out.
Photo of K6OZY

K6OZY, Elmer

• 542 Posts
  • 212 Reply Likes
It's not per year, it's per version.   v1 nearly will be three years old before it's finished, likely.
Photo of Pat - WH6HI

Pat - WH6HI

• 446 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Which means you pay your 200 and down load the SW and load it into the computer or multiple computers, since you paid for the software.  That is my guess.  So it may be on a per user basis. 
Photo of K6OZY

K6OZY, Elmer

• 542 Posts
  • 212 Reply Likes
The v2 firmware update will likely apply to a specific serial number and only update that single radio.   I would expect custom flash binaries for each radio to prevent rampant copyright infringement.   

The v2 SmartSDR suite installer will likely be generic and not look at anything but radio version.  It would expect to see a v2 radio on the network to run at all.

That's how I'd do it!
Photo of Tim - G7GFW / F4VQP

Tim - G7GFW / F4VQP

• 170 Posts
  • 73 Reply Likes
Paying $600 a year for updates on three radios is a bit costly to me.

I don't understand your problem!

You had the money to buy three radios. Included in the price of each radio is a software licence for the life of the version of software that came with that radio.

It is your choice to buy the next version of the software. Your are not being forced to do it. Your radios will still work exactly the same as they did before the new version of the software.

If you can afford 3 radios then you can obviously afford all the ancillary bits and pieces that are needed to run them - PSUs, antennas, mics, etc. etc. 

So, to complain that you to buy three licences is a 'bit costly' sounds that sour grapes to me.

I wonder if you expect your local garage to give you a discount because you fill your car up every time in runs out of fuel?

Or perhaps the electricity company to reduce their price because you buy all your electricity from them?

Stop whining, you bought three radios, two more than I've got.

I'll decide if I want the software when it comes and if I do, I'll pay the price - the man that wrote it also needs to pay for his petrol and electricity.

Photo of Mike Whatley

Mike Whatley

• 32 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
It should be costly. You bought the radios. If you want additional features you should have to pay for them. This is just the latest Backdoor attempt to get free upgrades.
(Edited)
Photo of Greg - KØGDI

Greg - KØGDI

• 78 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Rolling my eyes....
Photo of Stephen Linton

Stephen Linton

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
sounds like someone cant afford 3 radios
Photo of Bob G   W1GLV

Bob G W1GLV

• 827 Posts
  • 148 Reply Likes
If one can afford three Flex radios, I don't see a problem with $600.00 per major revision.
Photo of Walt

Walt

• 236 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
You bring up a standard question, and you should consider the cost-of-ownership before you decide to buy any number of radios.  I am sure you will have to pay for individual licenses.  Only you will be able to decide if the software upgrade is worth the value you receive.

But without an accurate, up-to-date roadmap of feature sets, you cannot determine what will be included in the basic radio under version one, and what features will be added for version two.

So you can wait for the product to mature, or jump into the pool and wait to see what actually appears as the versions are released.

Life is wonderful !
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Maybe the way potential purchasers of Flex radios should look at it, if money is an object; The radio is what the radio is, buy the radio that is offered. If new features are added, consider that a new (far less expensive) radio and judge whether you want to purchase it for $200. This is very close to what Walt just said  I don't think it is reasonable, at this point, for FRS to release roadmaps, except in the very vaguest of terms, like "these are the things we are looking at...PERIOD". As I've said before, in an Agile software development environment you don't know what will ship when until just before it ships. Some features will not make a given release. And given the shit-storms on this board over late releases or missing features, FRS is not inscented to telegraph intent because the subtle difference between intent and reality is lost on people on this board.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 4015 Posts
  • 975 Reply Likes
Walt, you are on the mark. There seems to be misunderstandings about updates. If I understand this, up coming updates for fixing problems will always be free. But updates for adding new features will be charged for. If you like the feature package then buy it, if not, don't.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
Yes, As far as what I have read, there is a difference between updates and upgrades. An upgrade, a major software and feature enhancement such as going from 1.0 to 2.0 or 3.0 is a paid upgrade. Intermediate updates, bug fix releases, and lesser feature enhancements, also known as "point releases" will be free within the major release.

The major updates are to be a single fee per release, not an annual software maintenance fee. (This was the original plan two or three years ago, which FRS wisely changed.)

And, yes, a person can skip 2.0 and go directly to 3.0 for the same one-time fee.

If it adds significant feature that are competitive and advances the SDR advantage, I do t think $199 is too much for a Magor upgrade once in a while. In fact I already paid for the first one in advance when I bought my 6500. Heck, many hams feel the need to trade in their two year old rig and add another thousand bucks for a "major upgrade" every couple of years.
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1585 Posts
  • 777 Reply Likes

Flex addressed this in reflector discussions prior to the community's launch.

At that time the stance was minor upgrades were included, major upgrades paid, no annual fees, and that a courtesy paid package (cost TBD) major upgrade would be available to bonafide multiple Flex-6x00 owners.

Like you Greg I will end up with a couple units - most likely I'll retain the 6300 for portable use by replacing it with a 6500 or another 6700 for the weekend shack, and I have a 6700 at home.

Since the fee is only for Major Upgrades I am personally not worrying about paying it, any different than if I had to send the units in to have benchwork done to install a physical update.  The level and quality of the minor updates (which are far more than "minor" in my book) is a good indicator that I will be getting another fantastic value with a Major Upgrade Version even if assessed separate fees for each radio.

Like you I am very receptive of a "Frequent Flyer" sort of discount for a Major Upgrading of several radios at once, who wouldn't like a package deal?  But is far from a purchase inhibitor if list price is list price is list price. 

All best and 73

Steve

K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com

Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 980 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes
2x6300+1x6500=8slices ~ 12000 $
1x6700=8slices ~ 7000$
You could save a lot of money and buy a tower and a really
good beam (why not Tennadyne T-8+TH7DX) for your
savings...
The antenna is the most important part of your equipment!

(I'm also into photography a lot and find people tend to forget
that the camera is only a black box with a shutter.
It's the lens that makes your photos great!)
(Edited)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
Yes, but...
WIth three rigs you can have a three operator multi-op station, or take one portable.  With a 6700, you can only transmit on one of the 8 slices at a time, and only one op can use it....so far....who knows what the future holds?

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 980 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes
Yeah, you're right there, Ken :-)
I'm just not thinking contest...
(Edited)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
Or DXpedition.  However, both of these extreme examples are outside my budget or realm of experience!  
Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

• 947 Posts
  • 259 Reply Likes
It isn't the end - its the operator. I get this comparison all the time with people who salivate over say the K3, and wanting full legal limit,  when in fact the operator is the single most important part of the station.

I've sat at radios when in  context a person has told me that "this thing doesn't work!" and rattled off a hudred quick QSO's.

I've also created wall hanging art with a Diana camera,
Photo of Pat - WH6HI

Pat - WH6HI

• 446 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
OK, if they charge on a per radio basis, how will they secure it. 

1) can be done via a server, turn radio on and it reports to server.  Only works if WAN is available.

2) Embedded SW that remembers a registration code and S/N and user name.  Most SW uses variation on this. Each radio would be charged license fee.

3) Register only in computer running SmartSDR, so that only one computer is allowed to run registered radio.  Any number of radios could be used for one time fee since only one radio could be used at a time, but would allow flexibility for the op and a one time fee for upgrade.

4) Point of purchase were you pay for the upgrade and then it can be downloaded and it would be serialized to the owner.  This would allow max usage with one time cost.

If anyone can think of other system, methods go ahead and add it in.  So what ever Flex decides as a method of control for the major upgrade has probably been decided on.  Because it would most likely involve SW within the radio/SmartSDR and at Flex to sell, register and control distribution.  Not a trivial matter in order to secure their SW product as well as computer/radio and server information security. 

Pat
(Edited)
Photo of Dan -- KC4GO

Dan -- KC4GO

• 340 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
Here is a question. Can you run all those radios from the same computer at the same time? Then is it only one software load on 1 computer. If not the $200 software is quite small compared to the cost of all the additional computers and network hardware  that will be needed to operate them all. If it's a contest or DX station the there are amplifiers and other associated costs. So for a say $30,000 station is $600 a concern?
            Say's the guy who saved almost a year for the 6500, runs wire antennas with 100 Watts. I'll just never know what it's like to have all the gear.... But I LOVE what I've got...
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Tim has actually answered that question, you can not start two instances of SSDR at the same time on the same computer.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 4015 Posts
  • 975 Reply Likes
$200.00 per person for upgrades? and not all will. I bet that does not even cover the cost to Flex for developing it.
Photo of Steve - N5AC

Steve - N5AC, VP Engineering / CTO

• 1057 Posts
  • 1098 Reply Likes
Official Response
Our current thinking is that the license is per radio as many here have surmised.  We have not spent any time thinking about this recently, however.
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
That is fair especially as 1) nobody will be forced to upgrade, 2) $200 per radio is cheap for what I know we will get and 3) if people have more than 1 Flex, they can afford to upgrade them all. Just like somebody who has several cars - do they expect a discount for having them all service at the same garage pleading poverty?

Tim - G7GFW / F4VQP

• 170 Posts
  • 73 Reply Likes
It is a real shame that we have such vociferous arguments about the rights and wrongs of paying for software but until we can educate the masses that software is a tangible entity then I see no end to the discussion.

Unfortunately I think that it is a problem that will never be resolved to everyone's satisfaction. If Flex (or Microsoft or any other software supplier) did things differently, for instance put a dongle on the radio that must be present for it to work with the software, then Flex could give the software away and sell the dongle.

Until people accept that it probably costs FRS more to design, write and produce the software than it does to design and manufacture the hardware, then this discussion will not go away.
Photo of Dan -- KC4GO

Dan -- KC4GO

• 340 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
I have an RF Design package that has such a dongle... It's only about 7,800 a year. Good thing the company I consult for pays the tab. For FRS I have no problem supporting the $200 for major upgrades and if I had 3 or 4 radios then I should be able to support the software. I guess Howard will need to with the FREE 6300 he won :) 
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1269 Posts
  • 485 Reply Likes
Someone needs to explain to me how Flex can ever turn a profit selling to hams plus all the customer service.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 4015 Posts
  • 975 Reply Likes
They have it worked out, I don't know how either. Software is very expensive to produce. I think they walk a fine line Burt.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
This is one reason I've been talking about the 7000 series. If you do the math, even if every current owner antied up another $200....
I don't think it is appropriate for customers of a company to be publicly prognosticating over that company's business model, nor is it appropriate for the customers to expect that discussion,  but this board is, for the most part (I hope) populated by reasonably intelligent people. Certain undeniable conclusions can be drawn with very little effort.

$200 on a $5000 or $8000 product is chicken feed, it's a very small percentage. I am awed we're having this discussion at all.
(Edited)

Tim - G7GFW / F4VQP

• 170 Posts
  • 73 Reply Likes
Sorry Walt, but I think you are completely wrong when you say it is not right for customers to be 'publicly prognosticating' over FSR's business model. 

It seems to me that one of the things that FRS has very deliberately set out to do is encourage it's customers to feel part of the 'Flex Family'. To that end, we are discussing this in the Flexradio Community.

How can Flex or indeed any company or association ever know what it's customers feel about their products if the said customers don't tell them?

I find it somewhat ironic that you are telling us that we are wrong to discuss something when we are talking about a product that is designed specifically to allow us to discuss things!

Tim
(Edited)
Photo of Ken ve7kwa

Ken ve7kwa

• 103 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
I have absolurely no problem with the $200 software fee. I expected this would eventually be the case back during PSDR development. On what may be an even more trivial issue, I don't understand the warranty transfer fee when purchasing a used radio. Yes... I know it's not a bunch of money. I just fail to see the reasoning behind the charge. We charged similar fees when I was in the car industry. We called them "gravy"
(flame shield deployed) ;)
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
I shall not express my opinion of the warranty transfer fee as I do not wish to be banned from this friendly community.

I also have no problem what so ever with the $200 fee. I am not interested at all in remote working at the moment, so they had better have something else to tempt me :-). Don't tell them, but I like running the latest versions of software generally so will purchase to support FRS anyway.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9199 Posts
  • 3559 Reply Likes
Ken - the warranty transfer fee is less than 1hr of service bench time, so if you have to send it in for service once, it saves you a little money on the bench time and the return shipping.  Use it twice, and you save even more.
(Edited)
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
@Tim "How can Flex or indeed any company or association ever know what it's customers feel about their products if the said customers don't tell them?"

Most companies don't require that level of affirmation. A company knows how it's product is doing in the market place by 1) click throughs, 2) net new sales, 3) surveys, not how many 'likes' on Facebook they've gotten this month.

A company's business model is not the same thing as 'like me on Facebook", it is whether they are solvent in 10 yrs. Those venture capitalists want to know how likely that is before millions of dollars change hands. They actually do get a vote and a seat on the board.

As someone earlier said, this whole topic sounds like a veiled "upgrades should be free for life".
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1269 Posts
  • 485 Reply Likes
@Tim Flex is unique in that it relishes feedback, thus a family atmosphere is promoted. Where else does a President of a company talk to the end user DIRECTLY?
Photo of K6OZY

K6OZY, Elmer

• 542 Posts
  • 212 Reply Likes
So very true.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3789 Posts
  • 1638 Reply Likes
Having run businesses that offered warranties, the last time I looked it cost me money to have someone record and keep track of warranties.  

Warranty Transfers may seem simple but unfortunately someone on my staff has to look up the existing warranty, confirm that it is still in good standing and then confirm that the new owner is actually a legitimate owner and is eligible to own the new warranty. 

You would be quite amazed to find the number of stolen items returned for warranty or misrepresented by third party sellers as being eligible for warranty transfer or having had third party sellers collect and pocket warranty transfer fees..

$75 Warranty Transfer Fee likely does not cover its true costs to the company that is generous enough to offer warranty transfers. 
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
Why cannot the warranty simply go with the radio using the serial number and the original receipt? The warranty just has to be deemed transferable and FRS does not have to do anything. I have several items, where if sold, the warranty passes onto the new owner without the manufacturer getting involved at all. Simples!
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3789 Posts
  • 1638 Reply Likes
Guy

I wish life were so simple... In real life things get

1. stolen.. just ask Apple about the number of stolen iPhones showing up for service
2.  Misrepresented by third party vendors...just look at the number of "New" or "Under warranty" items sold on E-Bay that are not...
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1269 Posts
  • 485 Reply Likes
I was on the side of dumping the transfer fee until I read why.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3789 Posts
  • 1638 Reply Likes
You would not believe the number of illegitimate fraudulent and expired warranty transfers we had to eat in the name of customer relations..

Ultimately we got smart and killed any form of warranty transfer...even then people showed up with doctored and re-dated invoices demanding warranty service.
Photo of Steve - N5AC

Steve - N5AC, VP Engineering / CTO

• 1057 Posts
  • 1098 Reply Likes
It's been a long time since we instituted the warranty transfer fee, but my recollection is that as radios were sold, the new owner would promptly call up support and spend a couple of hours trying to understand the radio, how to hook it up, etc.  The transfer fee was largely defensive to help defray the cost of this phone support.  
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1269 Posts
  • 485 Reply Likes
I got out of the transfer fee, I bought my radio from the ARRL and then read the manual.
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
@ Steve N5AC

Do new owners spend a couple of hours on the phone to support too. To me support does not cover a two hour tutorial on how the kit works instead of RTFM.
Photo of N7AIG

N7AIG

• 147 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Don't volume discounts normally kick in at 10+ units?
Photo of Ken ve7kwa

Ken ve7kwa

• 103 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Interesting input from everyone on the warranty transfer fee ! I might have guessed it had come up before. Im no stranger to commerce so I understand where a lot of you that have been in business are coming from. I'll try not to belabor it but I have a few thoughts on comments made.
Steve: your comment makes sense. I can see the potential extra work servicing the second Newbie purchaser.
Tim: This is my 3rd Flex radio and your service has been sevond to none. As Burt stated... I don't know how you guys supply the kind of service you do and still stay afloat. I'm not questioning the warranty service or the value. I just question charging a fee to transfer the warranty on a radio that is 3 months old and has literally under 10 hours on it. Will it affect my 6000 ownership ? Absolutely not. This is the most fun I have ever had in amateur radio ! So a final question. I'm currently on the road and won't be home for awhile... is there a time frame in which I must register the warranty ? I don't want to have any issues later.
Ken
ve7kwa
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9199 Posts
  • 3559 Reply Likes
Think of the Warranty Transfer as nothing more than a insurance policy to defer the cost of repair if needed.  It is nothing more than a risk / reward decision.  And there is no time frame on when you have to register.
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
That infers a radio that transfers ownership is more likely to break. I would imagine that any breakage during carriage would not be covered anyway.

The cost of the warranty covering the risk of repair for the full warranty period has been paid in full by the first owner so charging a second owner to transfer the warranty for the reasons you have given are not valid; you are being paid twice for the same thing.
(Edited)
Photo of G4YDO

G4YDO

• 66 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
how come icom, kenwood, yaesu are all free updates.
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 686 Posts
  • 230 Reply Likes
There is really no comparison between updates for a legacy radio and an SDR. With an SDR software is the radio and as a result you can achieve completely new functionality with a software update. FreeDV is an example as is WAN remote.

Jon...kf2e
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1269 Posts
  • 485 Reply Likes
G4YDO go buy an icom, kenwood, yaesu
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 4015 Posts
  • 975 Reply Likes
Because they are not SDR radios, they have a very simple software and firmware compared to SSDR. That was easy!! And what update have you had to pay for so far?
(Edited)

Tim - G7GFW / F4VQP

• 170 Posts
  • 73 Reply Likes
G4YDO - You are missing the point.

Please get it into your mind that Flex Radios are actually RF computers and like all other computers they need an operating system.

Flex updates can, and often do, change the way the radio works and performs. For instance the early versions of SmartSDR did not have memories for the Auto ATU, now it does. Effectively Flex are able to change the way the hardware works with the software. It is very similar to a computer in that SmartSDR is an operating system just like Windows or Linux.

What Flex are doing is just like Microsoft, they are giving their users the enhancements to the current version of the software.

What Flex are saying is that when they offer a NEW version of the software, you will have the opportunity to buy it if you would like the features it offers. 

If you choose not to buy the new software, your radio will still work EXACTLY as it did.

What Kenwood, Icom and Yaesu are doing is giving you enhancements to the software embedded in the radio. For example Icom have just released new software for the IC7600, one of the enhancements is that you can now use a mouse to navigate the on screen menus. 

The Icom updated sofware is FREE.....and so is Flex's updated software!

Please get it into your mind that Flex Radios are actually RF computers and like all other computers they need an operating system.
(Edited)
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
@ G4YDO

The other companies updates are very infrequent, they do not enhance the radio too much at all, they are mainly bug fixes. Bug fixes for the 6x00 1.x line will still be free. The paucity of software updates whas one of the reasons why I chose Flex.

Flex has a team continually working on the software. I wonder how much priority the others give to software development?

I am happy to pay, if I see fit, for the v2 upgrade. Nobody is forcing me
Photo of Bob G   W1GLV

Bob G W1GLV

• 827 Posts
  • 148 Reply Likes
You can't compare an Icom, Yaesu or Kenwood to a Flex radio. That's like comparing a Cadillac to a Lamborghini. Come on lets get serious.
Photo of Dave Dave

Dave Dave

• 135 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes

I agree, I loved my 1500, love my 6000 even more even with its lacking...

But you miss the point, So your saying if you bought a Ford Pinto and it didn't have Windshield Wipers you would be ok.

Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 680 Posts
  • 287 Reply Likes
I think partially at issue is the time frame on the update.  It is often quoted as $200 PER YEAR by people worrying about this.  I've owned my Flex well over a year and haven't spent a cent.  IT IS NOT PER YEAR

RE: Icom Kenwood Yaesu those radios are hardware legacy radios.  If you want better filters you have to spend $1000 to upgrade.  Same with Elecraft those jokers charge $30 for a friggin handbook on their radios, or $20 for a friggin cable with a stereo 2.5 to 3.5mm plugs on it.  You can go through 5 complete upgrade cycles for $1000.  For the legacy radio by the time 5 upgrade cycles occur the thing is residing in the dump

73  W9OY
(Edited)
Photo of Neil

Neil

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Paying for a major update to the radio is not unreasonable, However I have a question, will the cost of a 6000 series radio with v2  cost 200 dollars more than a radio with v1, the reason I ask this is an early adopter may pay for 3 or 4 major releases (600 t0 800 dollars extra) whereas a late adopter may not have to pay for any

Photo of K6OZY

K6OZY, Elmer

• 542 Posts
  • 212 Reply Likes
No.  Working as intended.  The earlier adopter got to enjoy the radio much longer, so they got what they paid for.   Does Microsoft charge more for a new computer that ships with windows 10 when it comes out?  No, you just get the newer version with the computer because it is the default option of the current version.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9199 Posts
  • 3558 Reply Likes
Actually, your FLEX-6000 each came with SmartSDR v1.x of which $199 of the price included SmartSDR.  When we are shipping SmartSDR v2, the same $199 will be a component of the total price of the radio hardware, so the cost of the radios will not increase as a consequence of 2.x being released.

And one way to look at it is a late adopter has missed out on the years of enjoyment not using a FLEX-6000.  I am not sure you can put a price on that.
Photo of Neil

Neil

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

That was quick!!, thanks for the reply, one of the reasons for asking was that a "major" manufacturer a few months ago did an update to their mid range radio, tacked a couple of extra letters after the model no. and increased the recommended price by 200 or so dollars.

Neil

Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1674 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
That sort of behavior is one of the "major" reasons that i was able to eliminate a lot of the "major" brands from my list, when I began purchasing Flexradio models. But, there is nothing "minor" about Flexradios. Unless a "minor" amount of "minor" software bugs, that get fixed when they are discovered, isn't a "major" factor. Which is the "major" reason I've purchased several Flexradio models.
73, Jay - NO5J
Photo of Dave Dave

Dave Dave

• 135 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes

I will have a problem with the Fee if its charged BFEORE SSDR has Squelch, decent memory functions and a few other things that SHOULD already be there, there not upgrades, im still blown away no squelch ....... and the memory, I don't claim to be a programmer but I could put 10 memory buttons at the top of the windows in less then 2 hours even though ive not programmed in a few years, oh and the time display being locked into what someone person thinks is best is crazy .... options are to easy to add.

After we have the functions it should have started with and a update bakes the radio better in real good ways ill pay ..... Ive never liked so much and disliked so much a radio!

Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 830 Posts
  • 1515 Reply Likes
Dave, SmartSDR has both squelch and memories.  Those came out in v1.4 months ago.  I would not commit that we will ever put 10 memory buttons on the front panel.  That is a design preference issue.  There is also a third part application called FRStack that adds a bunch of user features.  That is why we have an open API for developers to program to their heart's content.  Maybe you could brush off your programming skills and make whatever you want.  You can even write your own complete GUI on whatever language/OS you like.  Put whatever buttons you want on the front panel.  Others are doing that and having fun.  
Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 680 Posts
  • 287 Reply Likes
As long as you add the "make coffee" button
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 4015 Posts
  • 975 Reply Likes
Can we add toast to that?
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 940 Posts
  • 197 Reply Likes
The latest release of frstack  addresses the request including a squelch for all modes.  That is one handy little program.

I really like the approach of keeping S-SDR straightforward  and uncluttered UI and a the same time allowing developers to add.  Hence users can pick N choose what to add w/o impacting S-SDR UI. 

I'm at a bit of a loss to understand some having resistance to using 3rd party apps.  I run 4 slices with 2 fldidig's, one for Wefax the other 14.070 Mc. Pactor, one for SWL and the other for 6M or MW.  Also Spectrum Lab, SDR Smeter,  etc are all playing nice-nice.

_..--
Photo of Dave Dave

Dave Dave

• 135 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes

Sorry but having squelch in FM only isn't having squelch.

With Power SDR I changed the way several things worked, I enjoyed doing so and did so with little problems but nothing I overcome.

Memory ... the Memory button should be 1 click and visible on screen at all times, once a memory is selected the memory window should go away or make that an option at least.  Were talking less then an hours work.

Reason I have a problem is because these are such easily changed things .... Ill assume a update is coming very soon for that reason.

Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 830 Posts
  • 1515 Reply Likes
Dave, the problem is that one man's hot button is another man's don't care.  There are many hundreds off items in the backlog and things are always getting added.  We have to prioritize those based on a business plan, finite resources, and broadest applicability.  You should go try FRStack to see if it meets your needs.
Photo of Dave Dave

Dave Dave

• 135 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes

I been self employed since I was 17, I totally understand that and im not asking for anything to be done my way, IF you tell me Squelch is very soon on that list im happy.

Was perfectely happy with memory in Power SDR, could it be better, yes but it didn't take me back to the stone age.

FRStack is fine im sure but SSDR is sooo close to being ok also.

Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 4015 Posts
  • 975 Reply Likes
At this time you are not paying anything. The software features will be all done by V2.0. There are likely a few more releases till then. After V2.0 there will be no reason to purchase any upgrade unless you feel you need the added features it has. There is much more to programming the Flex than you know, It is very complicated. Everything they add or change effects a multitude of other things, then further testing is done on every change. So yes you may be able to add 10 memory buttons in only 2 hours as you claim, but what about all the things you break doing it? then what?
Photo of Dave Dave

Dave Dave

• 135 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes

Sorry but memory is already setup, changing the way is displays is just to simple.

I have to ask how you know how much I know or dont know??????

Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 680 Posts
  • 287 Reply Likes
I think separate programs like FRStack for this kind of functionality is the way to go.  I've been playing around with very low power computers.  I'm using a $120 1.3ghz 2 watt fanless quad core Atom with 2 gb ram and 32 gb eMMC hard drive running win8.1 that plugs into a HDTV monitor, actually the version I'm running will drive 2 monitors. 

It runs 2 panadapters and 3 slices of SSDR on the 6500 or 2 panadapters and slices on the 6300 remote perfectly with less than 50% typical utilization, 0 dropped packets and max latency of 3 ms, but if you start adding all kinds of "features" pretty soon I'll be out of resources.  I can add or subtract "features" (aka resources) at will according to my system and operating needs.  I keep FRStack under the SSDR window with just one edge exposed so if I click that edge it's virtually no different than clicking SSDR.  I'll pay the $200 just to keep the simple high performance un-junked-up interface we presently enjoy
(Edited)