Part 2: Raspberry Pi SoftEther Bridge Setup for Maestro Remote Access to your Flex 6000 Radio

• Praise
  • Updated 2 years ago
In Part 2, I am completing the configuration of a second Raspberry Pi for Maestro remote access.  I do make a few mistakes and have to correct them, but hey, we're all human!

I am pasting my notes here for easier duplication.

Setup vpnbridge account on home Pi Server

sudo raspi-config

Expand File System
Boot options B1 Console only

Finish reboot

Setup static IP for backup reconfiguration

sudo pico /etc/network/interfaces

auto eth0:1
iface eth0:1 inet static
address 10.10.10.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
save exit

sudo reboot

Reboot & login verify eth0:1 is up

ifconfig 

Install SoftEther Server

wget http://www.softether-download.com/files/softether/v4.21-9613-beta-2016.04.24-tree/Linux/SoftEther_VP...
tar zxpvf v4.21-9613-beta-2016.04.24-tree/Linux/SoftEther_VPN_Server/32bit_-_ARM_EABI/softether-vpnserver-v4.21-9613-beta-2016.04.24-linux-arm_eabi-32bit.tar.gz
cd ~/vpnserver
./.install.sh
cd

sudo mv ~/vpnserver /usr/local

sudo chown root:staff -R /usr/local/vpnserver

sudo pico /etc/init.d/vpnserver

#!/bin/sh
# chkconfig: 2345 99 01
# description: SoftEther VPN Server
DAEMON=/usr/local/vpnserver/vpnserver
LOCK=/var/lock/vpnserver
test -x $DAEMON || exit 0
. /lib/lsb/init-functions
case "$1" in
start)
$DAEMON start
touch $LOCK
;;
stop)
$DAEMON stop
rm $LOCK
;;
restart)
$DAEMON stop
sleep 3
$DAEMON start
;;
*)
echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart}"
exit 1
esac
exit 0
chmod +x /etc/init.d/vpnserver
update-rc.d vpnserver defaults
service vpnserver start

Run wizard and setup bridge (See Video)

Setup wpa_supplicant.conf with a list of AP's to join.  Replace network ssid & password below with your hotspot info.

sudo pico /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

network={
    ssid="iPhone"
    psk="flexradio"
}

sudo ifdown wlan0
sudo ifup wlan0

ifconfig wlan0  
verify you have acquired an IP from your hotspot.

sudo poweroff

Tether to Maestro, open iPhone Hotspot page

Boot Pi, wait for connection to Phone, spot check Pi server for connection

Turn on Maestro

Once working, backup SD card in case of corruption from pulling power on the Pi inappropriately
Photo of K6OZY

K6OZY, Elmer

• 540 Posts
  • 210 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2278 Posts
  • 919 Reply Likes
I just did a configuration for a friend, and I'm actually doing the wifi in a different way, whereby you're not tied to hacking config files to select your wifi. 

The wifi setup is similar to the chromecast. Basically the pi will look for a known SSID, then if it doesn't find one it will set up its own access point. Connect to it with your smartphone, select a wifi from the captive portal screen, then it will connect the wifi from there.

So far, so good. Works really well. One other thing I've added is a shutdown button to safely shut down the pi rather than roll the dice with just pulling power. Basically a pull up resistor and SPST switch on one of the GPIO pins and that triggers a python script. This will (hopefully) prevent corruption of the SD card. 

I'll get a script up sometime soon. 

But if you're interested in hacking this yourself, you can look for the radiodan wifi setup package and that is going to be the wifi setup component. The only thing is that it doesn't really do captive portal yet (eg hotel wifi) but I might have a workaround for that too. However I have found that most of them block VPNs anyway so this may be an exercise in futility. 
(Edited)
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1237 Posts
  • 264 Reply Likes

Yep. we tested this last night with my Maestro and it worked well. Ria did an excellent job on the script. Very cool being able to set the Pi WiFi info from the iPhone.

As she stated, the info is available on RadioDan  

Dave wo2x

Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2278 Posts
  • 919 Reply Likes
This is it:
https://planb.nicecupoftea.org/2016/03/20/wifi-connect-quick-wifi-access-point-to-tell-a-raspberry-p...

They have instructions, just ignore the part about provisioning the SD card and skip straight to checking out the radiodan code. This will pull the code from github and build it, pretty much turn key from there, although it did fail a few times when I tried.