Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

parallel access no audio Windows 10

Has anyone been able to get parallel access Windows 10 and smartsdr audio to work together. I see a lot of post with no success.

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016

In playback devices be sure Parallel access is your default speaker.

• Dennis Daniel KM6DF
    Dennis Daniel KM6DF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It keeps saying it's not connected
  • Dennis Daniel KM6DF
    edited December 2016
    Sorry it states parallel audio device not connected
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    You can always upgrade to W7 or W8 to avoid the W10 caused issues. I have definitely had no issues whatsoever using W7 or W8 with Parallels Access. Not planning to test W!0 until MS stop support on W7.
  • Dennis Daniel KM6DF
    edited December 2016
    Howard you are correct I went back to 7 all working fine now
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I just tested mine out on the LAN before going to bed and it is working fine. Running a 6500 with Win 10 and an iPad Air. If I remember right, the connection problems I had to overcome centered around clearing all of the "phantom" audio ports from the setup and making sure that there were correctly set default audio devices before opening SSDR via Parallels Access. I seem to remember someone (Tim?) saying that when Win 10 updates and reboots it seems to lose track of what to do with certain virtual audio devices unless there are default Mike and speaker plugged in. Since I have always had speakers connected to the computer and a USB mic device, I haven't had this issue lately through several updates. I DID have some problems when running pre-release Win 10 alpha testing versions and previous editions of Parallels Access. I haven't checked much lately since buying K6TU Remote for the iPad. This has been my usual remoting program lately.
  • Dennis Daniel KM6DF
    edited June 2020
    Ken that is amazing I have been trying to figure out what the problem was. it sounds like you need to have all the audio devices plunged in before it will setup the virtual ports properly. Both SSDR and Parallels tell you to remove and reinstall audio files and in doing so windows should reconfigure the drivers however it doesn't work for most of us. This shows Windows 10 has a problem with driver management and not just for audio but also for porting and IOs. I have 2 machines i will test your process, see if it works and thanks for the heads up. I have however reinstalled window 7 on my main computer for now and all working properly.
    73's Dennis KM6DF

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    One thing I now remember doing, in addition to uninstalling/re-installing SSDR, was uninstalling/re-installing Parallels Access and updating to their latest stable version before trying to connect remotely.  

Then I connected from another computer on the same LAN to make sure it worked.
    While connected via Parallels, you need to go into the Record and Playback Audio Properties tabs in the Windows sound application (the little speaker icon in the corner) and make sure that you have set Parallels Access sound devices as the default sound drivers for Record and Playback.  I understand that this must be done while connected via Parallels.  After that, it should remember those devices the next time you connect with Parallels.

Then finally, after it was working on the LAN, I tried it from a remote computer/iPad via WAN.

I can't remember all the machinations because it was several months ago when I finally got it working.  (It had given me fits for a while, then after trying several different things, it started working!)  I can't be all that hot a computer geek if I don't even know exactly what I did!  But it is working now.  I have even remoted from my car, using the iPhone and the Bluetooth-enabled hands-free that is part of my stereo system in the 2013 Chevy Equinox.  It is pretty cool hearing the 6500 over the nice sound system in my car!

Ken - NM9P
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

You would think with all my Bluetooth remoting .. I have yet to remote it into the car

Heading outside to the Tesla now to try it....

Thanks for the idea...

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Were you able to get it running with the Tesla Bluetooth?  How did it work?

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Yes it worked. But then Tesla downloaded a software update. Which shut down the car for 30 minutes while the car firmware update Ironic. Same Business Model as Flex.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I thought it was pretty neat using the iPhone and the Bluetooth on the stereo.  The receive audio was excellent.  But the throughput on my iPhone 6 was marginal from the location I had, so I needed to turn down all of the Display FPS and close the Waterfall to keep it from dumping the connection on me.

I presume that they have an update lockout that keeps it from "crashing" the car for an update while you drive!  ha!
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

Yes - Tesla has to be in park to do the update... Unlike MS. they ask your permission before you update the car.. but like Flex you do not get the release notes until you update...  

My ipad was the "hotspot" running Parallels Access with a Bluetooth to the Car Stereo... I have a couple of other APPs (K6TU and CommCAT being 2 of about 4) that can also run on the iPad remote.. but some of them don't support Bluetooth yet. 

Being parked in my driveway, the iPad grabbed a 5GHz WIFI channel so no dropouts, etc.. but I am sure if I drove around 4G would work well too...

Flex and Tesla seem to have very similar business models... Sell preorders to determine demand, Take Deposits and then figure out how to deliver.  Start at the High End and work Down.  Everything is the Software ****.  Do software updates over the air.   Sell the absolutely most Bleeding Edge Technology on the market.  Be so far ahead of your competitors that you can't see them in your rear view mirror.   (no Porsche or Ferrari can catch my Tesla... nor can any Icom or K3) Produce the absolutely top of the line most astounding performance vehicle in the market.   Build incredible customer service and astounding brand loyalty.  The most common phrase I hear from other Tesla Owners is "Best Car I have EVER Owned)... similar to the "Best Radio I have EVER Owned"

• Dennis Daniel KM6DF
    edited January 2017
    I thought I would try again to use SmartSDR and Parallel Access on windows 10 again no luck.. if you are using Parallel Access with windows 10 can you please share your setup.
    thanks
    Dennis KM6DF
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Easy... go back to W7 and no problems anymore
  • Dennis Daniel KM6DF
    edited December 2016

Howard thanks and i have a windows 7 machine that i currently use. However windows 10 has become a chalange and I would like to know why it dosent work. I have seen others that say it works fine for them I would like to know why and how is it working for them. Under general operations I have no problem with windows 10 but to remote in with Parallel Access the audio does not work. I have tryed removing all vutual sound devices and all of the dax drivers and it still will not work.

73s Dennis KM6DF 

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

@Dennis

I very much understand your desire to get things working correctly under W10... For me, life is far to short and I still have far too many things to do to spend my time debugging W10. 

• Dave W5UN
    Dave W5UN Member, Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Howard, in your experience how bad is latency when running Parallels. I know it’s pretty bad (typically 500 ms) when I tied SSDR over a softether azure vpn.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.