Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Panadapter/dax/WSJT-X

Larry , W8LO
Larry , W8LO Member ✭✭
Maybe a problem, maybe not. Running 6500, ver 1.10.16,  WSJT-X  v1.7.0, JTAlert 2.9.7. .When set up normally, slice A reads 14.076, and the IQ streams show identical readings.  But, if I move the panadapter to the left or right, Slice A remains at 14.076, as it should be.  But the DAX IQ stream reads something totaly different.  When this happens, WSJT-X water fall goes blank.  I can click on the WSJT frequency change button, then back to the original settings, and the DAX is at 14.076 again.  I like to move Slice A to the left of the screen, so as to keep an eye on it while WSJT is up and running.  I can't do this in it's present config.  This happens whether WSJT-X is running or not.
I have checked the DAX settings, all on channel one, sample rate at 4800.  I have a friend whose 6300 does the same thing.  I suspect it is in the JT65 related software, but can't find any settings I may have inadvertently turned on.  Other than that, DAX works as advertised.  Any ideas?
P S -  This condition persists on all bands.

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    First I'm aware that WSJT-X uses DAX I/Q. I always use audio DAX with it.

And yes, moving the panadapter will move the DAX I/Q center frequency. It's this way with CW skimmer as well.

Ria

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Yes, you “can” use I/Q in WSJT-X, but the result is as you describe. It’s not recommended. The I/Q signal goes with the panadapter, if I recall, not the slice.
  • Lawrence Gray
    Lawrence Gray Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Yes, just turn off DAX IQ for WSJT-X and it works the way you want it to work.  Just use DAX audio for the slice(s) of interest.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The frequency reported on the DAX I/Q stream is for the center of of the stream, not the slice frequency.  It will shift as you drag the panadapter side to side.

The two will also show different frequencies if you tune the slice up or down the band.  (the slice frequency changes, but the I/Q stays the same, until you approach the edges of the panadapter and the panadapter begins to scroll with the tuning.

However, if you zoom in or out, the panadapter automatically centers itself and the two will show the same frequency again.

The same when you select a new frequency from the WSJT-X pull-down menu.

Depending upon where WSJT-X or JTAlert are looking to get frequency information, you may get differing results.  I believe that WSJT-X gets its frequency information from the designated slice via CAT or TCP (whichever you have it set WSJT-X's Settings menu)

I don't know where JTAlert looks for the information.....

Ken - NM9P

EDIT:  After reading a couple of other posts, I had forgotten that you CAN use DAX I/Q for WSJT-X.  But I never have done it that way, because of the same frequency coordination issues...
  • Larry , W8LO
    Larry , W8LO Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    So, if no I/Q, what settings do I use?  Without I/Q on, I just get lines on the waterfall.

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    In WSJT-X Settings>Audio>Input, select DAX Audio RX #, where # is the DAX Channel that you select in the slice window.  Make sure that you have the same DAX channel turned ON in the DAX Control Panel.  Also check that the DAX TX Audio is selected and turned ON, and that the DAX Button is ON in the SSDR TX Panel.
  • Larry , W8LO
    Larry , W8LO Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    OK that worked....  Tnx for all help.  Moving panadapter problem solved.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.