Pan adaptor display at startup

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
Since installing 1.4.3 I am experiencing an intermittent condition where no pan adapter is displayed at boot up. 1.4.3 boots, receiving what appears to be the last band that was used from the previous operating session. There is no means to change or close this "phantom slice". The solution is to shut down 1.4.3 and reboot the software.

Radio is 6500 running Windows 7 (64 bit).

FRS suggested to do a factory reset, and reimport the profiles. It's also been suggested to be sure the PC has its latest video drivers installed. All this was done, without any improvement.

I am reporting this in case it is not already known by FRS. If it's a known issue, no response is required.
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 500 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
Have you tried to create a slice instead of reloading? That works here.
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 500 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
Yes and than u have 2. No way to access the 1st slice
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Doing a factory reset on the radio is akin to rebooting Windows. It's an incredibly bad answer yet, in the early unstable days of Windows it was the ONLY answer. Consequently to say the solution is to do a factory reset on the radio is acknowledging it is unstable. That may not be what the vendor intends but that is the net-net of it.

Guy, when you eventually do a pan, the A slice is gone. This, btw, has been reported and Eric entered the issue into there system. I merely have restarted SSDR. I believe that has resolved it if not, a restart of the radio. I have never done a factory reset.
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 500 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
The factory reset and reimport was FRS's suggestion. At first I thought it worked as it took about a week for it to reoccur. As I stated, if it was previously reported, no need for any response. It's not a big deal.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
I mentioned that only by way of reminiscing about those Windows bigots that had to keep rebooting their machine and were thrilled when it actually ran over 24 hrs while OS/2 kept on chugging away, yet the windows folks thought Windows was the best thing since sleeping in late. Just goes to show the power of faith.   Well, I am hoping Eric figures out what's going on.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9198 Posts
  • 3558 Reply Likes
Try globally turning off TNF and see if that makes a difference.  We have this issue in our bug tracker, but I'd like to know this change makes a difference.
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 500 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
Really have not used TNF. Where do I globally disable it?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9198 Posts
  • 3558 Reply Likes
The TNF icon in the lower left hand corner of the SSDR screen.
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 500 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
Tim
Not sure if this is of any help, biut gere's how it looks when it boots w/o the pan adapter. You can see that other info is not populated on the right panels. When this happens, it's definitely receiving the last used band / freq.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Rob, you know I filed this over a month ago, right?
Eric is aware of it.
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 500 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
Walt I'm responding to a suggestion Tim made. I'm aware FRS is aware of it.
Photo of Ross - K9COX

Ross - K9COX

• 352 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
Mine does this frequently however only when operating remotely over wireless. I restart SmartSDR and it works fine every time.
Photo of Reggie-k6xr

Reggie-k6xr

• 413 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
I have this same anomaly often on boot up of ssdr
Photo of William Hemmingsen

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
In my experiments with the API, I have seen this countless times, often caused by one of the following.

Loss of network connectivity
computer sleeping
not properly closing out of smartsdr (as in resetting the computer)

In my situation its always cause by a hung panadapter stream.  Caused by any of the above situations.  A manual remove of the panadapter stream via telnet to the radio fixes it.  Its clunky but its better than hard resetting the radio.

Maybe SmartSDR on startup should check and remove any active streams.  Because this blank screen is a failure to create the panadapter.  Caused by the fact its already created.

At least this has been the case in my experience.

William
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 979 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes
William, can you explain how to do a "manual removal of the panadapter stream"?
Photo of William Hemmingsen

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Close SmartSDR

Telnet to radio IP on port 4992

Then issue this command:

C25|display pan remove 0x40000000

Restart SmartSDR

This of course assumes that the default panadapter stream 0x40000000 is the problem.  It can't hurt to try before hard resetting

William
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Isn't this thread about reporting a problem, not how to program the radio?
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
William, this is occurring at initial startup so there's no previous data, there is no confusion as to what the radio is trying to do its turned on initially
(Edited)
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 498 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
William
You know, you may have introduced something that I need to try. When I boot the PC, the Flex 6500 is usually the first thing I start up. "If" there were other services or applications that were still booting up, I'm wondering if that's what might be causing this to happen. I'm going to allow the PC to boot up and wait at least 1 minute before starting the 6500. Let's see if it happens after we introduce this boot waiting time.
Photo of Don

Don

• 109 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

When I open fsdr and no panadapter, I found that going ton setting and opening radio and then going to receiver I click start and the panadapter starts....

Don...w2xb

Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 500 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
For all - here is something to try. After you boot up your PC, allow it to sit for about 1 minute, or as long as it takes for the hard drive activity light to settle down - before you attempt to bring up the Flex software. Last night I was able to cause the no pan adapter issue to occur three times in a row by starting up the Flex software as soon as my desktop came up. Allowing the PC to fully boot resulted in proper operation every time. Maybe there is some service that is required to be running before the Flex software can properly display the pan adapter?
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Rob, in my cases ssdr is never started when the machine finishes booting. It's generally a length of time after, minutes. William, what I have seen, as a result of this condition if when a manual add pan does take, it is absent Slice A. Slice A does not ever exist. One of the reasons a display pan add fails is it can't find a receiver. (this is an advantage of using the source code of flexlib. I maintain, the reason this fails is the radio can't allocate a receiver (Slice A).

Rob, the code for creating the pan is pretty straight forward, it is a text request to the radio and receives a text response. In that response is the error code of why it didn't work. There is no peripheral software involved. In all cases I've found shutting down and restarting the radio solved the issue...as I recall, that thread was largely ignored about a month ago. Eric is now aware of it.

Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
In my case, I get a panadaptor and waterfall, but no receive slice.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
In my thread on this very subject I had 4 outcomes. What you just said Guy was, indeed, one of them I saw as well.