Packet Fragmentation

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Acknowledged
I continue to have problems with SmarLink in 2.0.19 sucessfully connecting my Maestro and 6300. This is a problem that occurs in some remote networks & not others.

Tim & Steve Hicks addressed this three months ago in a Community thread that is now closed for comment. Thus the reason for opening a new thread.

Steve said the problem is rare but since then, I alone have worked with three other Maestro owners who all appear to suffer from the packet fragmentation problem indicating that it is more common than Steve's comments suggest.

Rather than describing what's going on, here's a link to the closed thread.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexr...

We four who are suffering from this are asking what progress has been made so that we can realize the benefit of our investment in SmartLink, and full value in our 6xxx radios and our Maestros.

Thank you!
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 321 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
  • Disappoined, unhappy!

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3541 Reply Likes
Official Response
It is in our bug tracker.  We are fully aware of the issue and it is a high priority issue to resolve.
Photo of William McCaa, K0RZ

William McCaa, K0RZ

• 2 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Same issue here. I've given up on trying to use the Maestro via WAN to reach my 6500 or KC9VF's 6700. Generally I've been disappointed with the versions 2.0.19 so far.

There is also the issue of the receiver failing to mute when in the transmit mode. The CW mute issue first appeared in version 1.10.16 and has been carried forward into the latest release.

K0RZ
Photo of David H Hickman

David H Hickman

• 48 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I have never gotten Smartlink to work in 2.x.  From conversations I have had with others affected by this, it is a critical bug in the protocol that is used and to date there is no fix and there seems to be little info about it other than it affects users with non-typical use cases.  The issue reminds of the the Jitter issues in the preSip days when the UDP Fragments could not be reassembled in some situations.

I just got a new to me Maestro recently and it also sees the issue but works fine on the same remote network with another ham's 6300 that I know.

My solution is to keep running the SoftEther VPN setup that I have been running for years. Everything works fine that way. Currently I hook the Maestro to my pc's Ethernet port and use microsoft's internet sharing of the softether vpn since the Toughbook has a cell modem in it.  I also get to use digital modes remote and have full third party CAT control since it is not ready yet.

good luck
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 321 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
David, Thanks for the information. It will help several of us who are trying to come up with a work around while waiting on Flex to come through with a fix.

I use VPN on my tablet with SmartSDR with great success. It seems as though it would be so easy for Flex to enable/include the Windows VPN client in the Maestro. It is a Windows device after all.

Including this in the Maestro until SmartLink is fixed would be a very high good will move by Flex & we could all relax not having to go to the added expense and trouble required to follow your solution or set up a Rasberry Pi, Etc.
(Edited)