Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Own radio Flex 1500. How can I unlock a range of 60 meters to not only work on fixed frequencies. In

Krasimir - LZ2CH
Krasimir - LZ2CH Member
edited December 2018 in FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios

Answers

• John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    send a copy of your licence and flex transceiver serial number to flex radio europe ( germany ) and they will send you a file to extend the frequency range on 60m. On 60m you will only be allowed to operate on your country's frequency allocation and the same with hf or any other band. Tx operation outside allocated amateur bands is not allowed on flex transceivers
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    There would be little point in sending in a UK licence in a similar case. It is a plain black on white document that a) can be *easily* forged and b) there is a blank template available online if somebody does not have an 'original'.

One does not need to show a licence in the UK to purchase any ham gear so it would be very silly for Flex to ask to see it for a frequency mod.

Why are not TURF files made available online for different countries? I wonder why they seem to be locked to an individual rig - I asked for a TURF file to keep to hand to be safe and the serial number of my rig forms part of the filename. I wonder if that TURF could be used on another UK rig?

It is not my intention to reopen the recent thread about Flex ensuring we do not operate out of band rather than leaving it to the ham with an unlocked rig. I am just interested in the way the TURF system works as it does.
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Flex radio are probably protecting their data from the wolves out there and or they struck a deal with US authorities / law makers.
    Re the licence, yes its a bit of a flip flop . I must say that I have never had the urge to operate out of band since becoming licenced, so it does not matter to me
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Why are not TURF files made available online for different countries? I wonder why they seem to be locked to an individual rig - I asked for a TURF file to keep to hand to be safe and the serial number of my rig forms part of the filename. I wonder if that TURF could be used on another UK rig?

TURF files are keyed to a specific radio by serial number and have to be generated individually. 
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Tim, I understand that. I was just wondering why things were designed that way, rather than having a single TURF for each regulatory region. Just say the UK went nuts and gave a 200KHz band on 60m, it would be simpler to have one file to update all the rigs rather than every Flex owner having to get a 'personalised' one made. I had to jump through a few hoops just to get 'my' TURF to have as a JIC backup. Why were things designed the way they were?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Because people cheat and Flex does not want to be held liable for someone bringing a foreign TURF file into the USA which enables transmissions in areas not authorized in the USA.
  • Jim
    Jim Member
    edited February 2016
    I wander that my self. My 6300 can't be moded to use mars mod , But my Anan 100 all you have to go setup and tick outside USA and it done  with one click.
    Jim
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    But people can sell their transceivers to someone in the US anyway, so it defeats the objective a little. It could be used as a way to track previous owners if an illegal transceiver" made it into the US and was used. Perhaps Flex are trying to set a standard, in which illegal users can be tracked down
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    There is a big difference between emailing a TURF file and sending a transmitter physically. Hence by tying the TURF file to a serial number eliminates the emailed file issue.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    This world-wide fallout because of US domestic regs is also happening in the router world. Off the shelf, I cannot configure my wireless router for legal UK use (wrt channels available and power) as users have been locked out of changing their locale due to FCC regs. There are many long and heated threads on this issue in Asus forums. Naturally, people have made work-arounds, but the main modder of Asus firmware (Merlin) will not go down this route for fear of the FCC clamping down further.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    This is a complex, multi-faceted, international compliance issue.  It has to do with FCC regulations as they pertain to SDRs because we are a SDR radio manufacturer in the US and have to comply to stay in business.  There is a harmonized CE set of regulations for the EU that also must be adhered to also. Not all countries have a TURF file because their regulatory compliance mandates are not required for selling products within their boundaries.  We received council from many agencies on how best to proceed to de-risk our business and the current TURF process is a result of that.  What other companies choose to do is their own business decision.

Our EU distributors are responsible for maintaining transmit regulatory compliance for the countries they are selling to.  Occasionally they fail to TURF a radio before the sale and when that happens, it is a simple and straightforward process to get one via a HelpDesk request.  Occasionally supporting documentation is required, but usually not.

In addition, the 60m "issue" complicates things greatly, as there is no harmonization at the IARU level, although progress is being made for reaching consensus on a new 15 kHz-wide global secondary 60 meter Amateur Radio allocation at 5351.5-5366.5 kHz.  However Russia and 10 other of it's neighboring countries opposed the secondary allocation.  Hopefully a compromise will be reached and the fragmented nature of 60m will be a long forgotten memory.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Tim,

*Many* thanks for taking the time to provide a comprehensive and most satisfactory explanation. It is most appreciated.

73++ de Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
  • Извинявам се, че занимавам аудиторията пак с моето радио и на български, а не на английски език. Сега моето радио има намалена мощност на всички обхвати, като се движи между 2W на 160 и 1W на 6 м. Работните точки и на двата транзистор в крайното стъпало са в норма. Сега моля да ми кажете дали мога в домашни условия да го поправя или да търся сервиз и къде да го изпратя.
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Translation:

I apologize for engaging the audience again with my radio and in Bulgarian, not in English. Now my radio has reduced power on all bands, ranging between 2W on 160 and 1W on 6m. The operating points of both transistors in the final stage are normal. Now please tell me if I can repair it at home or look for a service and where to send it.

• Thanks Len! It's a good thing that there's Google Translate!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.