Over modulation in SSB/F6300

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Has anyone else seen this?  Just got my 6300 back from Flex. They tell me that my problem is the way I set up the audio. Sorry, my 3000 does not have this problem.
Problem: Over modulation in SSB.
Following instructions from Flex, I set the modulation level to a point that no audio appears on the outside of the passband on the panadapter. Starting from about 10 watts on the RF Power slider, I increase the power to around 65. At this point, the panadapter and the waterfall show me some splatter on the outside of the bandpass. The RF output is about 5 watts. I raise the RF Output to max but no power output increase is observed. I now raise the Mic slider to 65 and get about 50 watts RF output. However, the splatter has increased to the point that I have output modulation from 28.480 to 28.495 with a desired 28.488 upper side band.
I have received reports from others that I truly am splattering and appear to be off frequency.

My question again: Has anyone else seen anything like this on SSB?

Roy - W5TKZ  
Photo of Roy - W5TKZ

Roy - W5TKZ

• 110 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Roy - W5TKZ

Roy - W5TKZ

• 110 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Official Response
Well I think we can put this thread to bed. On a local net last night, everyone thought I had good audio. No distortion. Still need some tweaks to equalizer but otherwise good reports.

Here are the final connections that cleared my distortion:

Instead of connecting my radio directly to my cable modem, I now connect my radio, computer and cable modem through a 10/100 Fast Ethernet Switch made by Dynex.  

I don't fully understand the why of this but distortion gone was the goal.

Many thanks to everyone.

73 - Roy - W5TKZ