Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Output pwr foldback with 1.7 to 1 SWR, Flex 6500 and SmartSDR 1.11.12

Bill Speedie
Bill Speedie Member
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
The power output of my 6500 seems to fold back, as shown by reduced current draw on my power supply.  I'm using a 6500 with PSDR 1.11.12.  I disconnected the coax and used an SWR meter that shows a 1.7 to 1, not great but not so bad that I would expect the radio to object.  Am planning on taking down my dipole in the morning to see if I can detect any physical problem with it but wonder if someone has an idea why this is happening now where it didn't previously.  

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    PSDR?
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I think you probably mean SmartSDR 1.11.12.

What SWR does the SmartSDR meter show?

Also, this sort of problem can be caused by a high resistance in the power supply circuit that causes a low voltage condition at the radio's power terminals.  The output power will be correspondingly lower.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    RF on the shield of the coax, or RF in the shack, can cause not only erroneous SWR readings but erroneous operation of the transmitter. Be sure you are properly grounded and that your antenna has a BALUN at the feed point if the antenna is balanced. Make sure all your connectors are properly soldered.
  • Bill Speedie
    Bill Speedie Member
    edited January 2018
    Thanks, I'll check those things today. I do have a balun on the dipole, and yes, I was both sleepy and sloppy when I referred to PSDR, it's SSDR.  73, Bill -- KA6T
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    You should try one of the 2 programs (ddutil or frstack)  i know of that can read the dc voltage that the radio sees. I have had poor power pole connections at the back of the radio that caused low power output. In my experience with a 6500 and 6300 1.7 swr is not enough to roll back power. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.