Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Oscilation on spectrum when 6700 is first turned on

N4AB
N4AB Member ✭✭
edited September 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
This is a problem I reported about 2 months ago but I did not receive an offical responce at that time. When I boot up the Radio ( 6700 GPSDO WIN 7 HP I7 laptop) I get the spectrum shown below. This usualy last for apx 4 to 30 minutes and graduallychanges to the spectrum shown in the second screen shot below. These "Humps" can last for minutes to hours before they disapate. Except for the first few minutes, in screen shot 1, the "Humps" don't seem to hurt anything operationally. But they are not right and they bother me ( I guess distract me would be a better description). Usually during the day my RF noise floor goes so high that the spectrum just completly turns into a straight line and I can't hear any thing anyway. By the time my noise floor is back down(8 to 10 pm) the humps are very small. I'm not concerned with the humps because they may be related to my antenna, A 7 band vertical (Cushcraft R7). But I really do want to find out about the oscilations. Al N4AB

Comments

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    What kind of power supply are you using? Is it a switching type? Is there anything else attached? Can you swap out supplies and see what you get?
  • K2CM
    K2CM Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I think that George is correct. It looks like noise from a power supply. If it is still there when you disconnect your antenna, its probably the p/s. You probably want to solve this as it could cause noise on your transmitted signal.
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    If you come up with any culprits please post. As you can see I have very similar interference. In my case it is definitely external .i.e nothing without antenna or dummy load. I havn't been able to track it down yet.
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    As Dave suggests, what do you see with a dummy load attached or using a different power supply or battery? I have never seen this behavior from my 6700 with GPSDO. Please let us know what you find. 73, Mack W4AX
  • W4EG
    W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    if you have touch controls to turn lights or other device in your home turn them off. It may not be you but your neighbors too. I had similar noise. However, I found the culprits with my F5K several years ago. Solution, disable them: you'll never see them again.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Some Wall-Wart transformers can cause this same indication also.. usually just on certain Bands but sometimes several Bands at a time.If you havent done so already, I would check any of these in the shack especially but also in the house. I had one HDMI cable from the Sat TV receiver that caused a similar pattern also. the RFI reflector has tons of good ideas on troubleshooting and even pictures of different types of noises. regards, Larry K1UO
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    As described, this looks like external noise and not a problem with the radio, per se.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.