Optimizing the Noise, ANF, SR, and NB settings with a 5000a .....

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • (Edited)
Hi All --

Rather than re invent the wheel, I am wondering if anyone has played with all the noise blanking, noise  reduction, SR and ANF setting to find a optimal settings? I am running a 5000a and a I7 desktop.

I know that these settings are "season to your personal tastes" but I have no problems starting from someone's "happy place"

A lot of these default settings were set back in the day when finding the happy middle was a compromise between the radio and computer processing power.  With the advent of I7 machines and quad core I barely ever see my machine go over 20% ..... so I have some lots of head room to play with.

Any thoughts?
73, Brian

PS   That 20% is running as many as 6-10 different things at once like PwrSDR, IE11 (on the DX Cluster, QRZ, and other windows) my logger, voice keyer, FLDigi ..... etc. 
Photo of Brian Bedoe WD9HSY

Brian Bedoe WD9HSY

• 29 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3549 Reply Likes
The default settings were selected as a good compromise for moderate noise sources.  Select the correct noise mitigation feature for the type of noise you have and make small adjustments and allow for a little time so the DSP can do its thing.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3858 Posts
  • 934 Reply Likes
Tim, if you select default, does this change everything or just the function you want to set to default?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3549 Reply Likes
There isn't a default selection, per se.  When PowerSDR creates a new database, the DSP noise mitigation settings are set to the default values for the particular feature (NR, NB, NB2).  From there you can change them however you like.