Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Operating Remotely form unexpected places

VK7WH Winston
VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
Last week I was told I needed to go immediately to Hospital and would most likely need to be there for at least a week. Nothing to serious, but time passes very slowly in an uncomfortable hospital bed! Then thanks to my 6700, SSDR for iOS and my trusty old iPad I realised that I had plenty to keep me occupied during the stay. Most of the stations I worked found it hard to understand how this could be done so easily from such a simple setup at the remote end. Thank you FlexRadio for making this and so many other remote operation scenarios possible. Winston VK7WH/P Hobart Private Hospital.

Comments

• N2TU
    N2TU Company Adviser ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Get well soon!

Lou N2TU
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Thanks Lou, I expect to go home on Friday.
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Get well soon and being in the hospital they probably charge like $100 day for WiFi usage!! Like those $50 aspirins!! Glad they have WiFi’s installed!!
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    A speedy recovery and good DX...
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Thanks Tim and Robert. I was expecting to have to use 4G LTE but the in house WiFi hasn't missed a beat and is free! It only shows 1.5 MB/s up and down but is pretty constant with no downward dips. The 6700 just cruises at that speed. As for the cost of my visit, I took at private health insurance back in 1963 and it is now PAYBACK TIME, and doesn't cost me a cent! Winston
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Get well soon Winston! I had knee revision surgery back in November and was at an in-patient facility for a week. I had my wife bring my Maestro and headset. Definitely made time between physical therapy sessions go quicker. Dave wo2x
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Sure does Dave. The only problem I had was when the infusion pump set off a very loud alarm, almost blanketing my voice. Surely it wouldn't be too hard for Flex to programme a self tuning sharp notch for such intrusive occasions
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited September 2018
    Don’t you hate when the empty medication bag interrupts you qso? ;-) Dave wo2x
  • Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Get well soon Winston
    Wayne VK4ACN

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    All the best, Winston!  I hope to work you from your /HBR (Hospital Bed Remote)....

Ken - NM9P
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Thanks Ken, I'm coming along fine. The good news is the Doctors are letting me out for a few hours tomorrow afternoon. The sad news is that it is to attend the funeral of a VK friend of mine I have known since the early 1960s I very much do look forward to working you one day but, with conditions being what they are at the moment, it may have to wait until the 2K-FA is installed at the remote site sometime early next year, once I have installed additional battery capacity. Thanks for all your very helpful posts and videos Best 73 Winston

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.