Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Opening a new rx slice and changing bands changes the power output to 100 watts

David Decoons, wo2x
David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
opening a new rx slice and changing bands changes the power output. (Dangerous with an amp!). I set power out on 75 meters to 40 and then create new rx slice. I then band change the new rx slice to 10 meters and power out on the 75 meter tx slice jumps to 100 watts. The new rx slice should NOT change tx power on the tx slice. Confirmed on three different Flex 6500s running 1.0.24

Comments

• Ed baker
    Ed baker Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Absolutely happens with this addition of the second slice. Woops/.
  • Mike_N1MD
    Mike_N1MD Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Happened to me several times since 1.0.24 beta. I am fortunate I have not blown my KPA500 to kingdom come!
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020
    yes. This is 100% reproducible for me.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020
    Yes as a follow-up with more detail. Creating the second panadapter, then a new rx slice within that panadapter and changing it's band will change the power out on the original tx slice to whatever is stored in persistence for the band. For example, set your power out on 40 meters to 40 watts and 80 meters to 70 watts. Now have one panadapter and rx/tx slice in that panadapter on 40 meters. Power should be 40 watts Create a new panadapter and create a new rx slice in that panadapter. It will be on 40 meters and tx power is still 40 watts. Now change the band on the new rx slice to 80 meters. The original rx/tx slice which is still on 40 meters changes to 70 watts. This should be enough info to replicate the problem at will. Dave
  • Greg - K5GJ
    Greg - K5GJ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Dave and Group: I've spoken with the engineers and have confirmed this bug has been exorcised. The fix will appear in the next release of SmartSDR. Thanks for the reports! 73, Greg - K5GJ
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Some things should just be persistent, but not based on what band you are on. The power setting should be persistent absolutely, regardless of band. I could be set based on the selected profile so that if I choose a digital profile, the power will be set accordingly. Does anybody want the power setting to be persistent by band? If people do want this then it should be an optional feature.
  • Greg - K5GJ
    Greg - K5GJ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Robert - Experience with PowerSDR has shown us that having Power per Band is pretty important. For instance, on my Cro-Magnon LK-500 amplifier, the drive level difference between 20m and 40m is about 30 watts! So power per band is needed. 73, Greg
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Robert and Greg, Same here -- my amp also requires a different drive level per band. I suspect this is common. Prior to the 1.0.24 beta, I was using DDUtil to set the level per band but that stopped working with the beta. However the persistence per band in 1.0.24 took care of it, so not a problem. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • ai6re
    ai6re Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I don't think you can hurt the KPA500 as mine seems to protect itself from all of my mistakes. It is an excellent amp.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.