Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

One-Way Comms with Version 2.0.17 Remote Control on SmartSDR for iOS on iPhone 7

Wheelin Rev
Wheelin Rev Member
edited February 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have Version 2.0.17 installed on my FLEX-6500 and have the SmartSDR iOS app installed on my iPhone 7 with iOS v10.3.3 installed. What I have is one-way connectivity from my iPhone to the radio. I can change the frequency, control all of the settings, change the power, activate ATU, etc. including transmit PTT with SSB modulation and 100 watts power output. But from the radio to the iPhone there is nothing. No received audio (yes REMOTE is active for the PC), no meter readings, no panadapter, no waterfall, etc.

I also tried access over the Verizon Cellular LTE Network and nothing worked. I've read that remote control over cellular may not be possible because carriers apparently do not allow port forwarding. I don't know...

The router is a Verizon Actiontec MI424WR.

Does anybody have any ideas as to where the problem might be causing the one-way communications? Dudley had asked, just prior to quitting time on Friday, whether or not the WAN address was in the router. I honestly don't know and don't know where to look...

So any takers with ideas? Thanks in advance! 73, Dave K4EET

Comments

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I had a similar problem this week, and it was 100% related to my router/firewall.  I changed routers and the problem went away.  That was the quick solution and I will go back and debug the firewall at some point.  

That might not be the exact problem, but very similar.

Mike va3mw
  • Wheelin Rev
    Wheelin Rev Member
    edited August 2017
    I shut down the firewall and I shut down the anti-virus. Still had the one-way comms. I guess my next step is to figure out what Dudley meant by having the WAN address in the router. 73, Dave K4EET
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    David,

You mention that Remote is active for the PC which suggests that SmartSDR for Windows is connected to your Flex radio. As I understand it at this time, only one client can be connected at a time and this may be the reason that your iPhone cannot see communication from your radio...just guessing. Try again with SmartSDR for Windows closed down.

Ed, K0KC
  • Wheelin Rev
    Wheelin Rev Member
    edited August 2017
    Ed,

Well that was 99% of the problem. I had SmartSDR for Windows open. I didn't realize that needed to be closed. Thanks! Now I still do not have any receive audio.

I do notice that the speaker icon has an "X" through it indicating muted audio. I cannot seem to get it to unmute. I am sooooooo close. I'll post a screenshot in a few minutes.

73, Dave K4EET
  • Wheelin Rev
    Wheelin Rev Member
    edited August 2017
    Here is the iPhone screenshot...

• Wheelin Rev
    Wheelin Rev Member
    edited August 2017
    UPDATE: I got it unmuted by hitting the +RX button. I'm good to go!!!  :) 

73, Dave K4EET
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Dave,

I am glad you are in business! I am not sure why hitting the +RX button worked, but the end result is what matters.

I am not that familiar with SmartSDR for iOS as I just downloaded it about a week ago and have not had much time to play with it. I do mostly digital modes and DAX is not sent over Smart Link so I am in no hurry to do a lot of remote work.

Enjoy!

Ed, K0KC
  • Wheelin Rev
    Wheelin Rev Member
    edited August 2017
    Thanks again for your assistance, Ed. Have a GREAT weekend! 73, Dave K4EET
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Awesome Reverend!!!
  • Wheelin Rev
    Wheelin Rev Member
    edited August 2017
    Thanks to all of you, I can now operate my FLEX-6500 when I am laid up in my hospital bed at home which I could not do before from my iPhone. The next test will be this evening when I am over at my inlaws and I try to get things set up over the cellular network. I know others have said that it will not work but we'll see. The final test will be in about a month when I go back to the hospital for a procedure. I'll test out the hospital's internet connectivity.

So Mark, when do you want to do a remote via iPhone QSO? Let me know...

73, Dave K4EET
  • Wheelin Rev
    Wheelin Rev Member
    edited August 2017
    FYI, SmartSDR iOS to the FLEX-6500 works just fine with SmartLink using the Verizon LTE network in Baltimore. I'm elated! 73, Dave K4EET
  • Wheelin Rev
    Wheelin Rev Member
    edited August 2017
    Out of curiosity, how do I mark this thread as "Solved"?
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited August 2017
    An admin has to do it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.