Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

One step forward, two steps back..................

2»

Answers

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Lee the points of his post are valid and I doubt many will disagree. However, 1 step forward and two steps back no matter how you look at it means you are going backwards. 

The title of the post set the tone. Probably wasn't his intention as if it really was I would hope he would have it for sale by now :)
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Agree the title was probably used to show frustration. :)
  • SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited December 2015

Most see this thread as helping not one iota. Eric's list was compiled from previous threads and those threads are the ones that actually help, not this one. Go to one of those threads to see if you can find so-called "nonsense cheerleading".

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I see it more like Ten steps forward and one step back... and a couple sideways!  
  • Reggie-k6xr
    Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I'm sure not having anything but enjoyment! I just operate and it performs fabulously! Like they say at micky d's. I'm lovin it!
  • Peter
    Peter Member
    edited May 2015
    BINGO!!

Peter

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    While it is good to report something we think is wrong, it seems a little strange to recommend changes to testing. There testing was very good as there were over 2000 customer facing issues and only a hand full of bugs?
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ken, knowing what I know about product development and reading between the lines, I suspect there was a huge number of fundamental Code Base changes that were needed to add the additional features. These are things that are behind the scenes and will help in future releases. Down the road is where we will see the 10 steps forward in my opinion.

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Absolutely.  The separation of the different audio processing routines, the new Audio CODEC, the separation of Panadapter source input from the Waterfall source input so each information stream can be processed separately, further refinement of the API's, major overhaul in algorithms netting vast improvements in data throughput and client workload, these are all MAJOR programming accomplishments, many are so "under the hood" that most of us will never appreciate the effort or the actual effect they will have.  

Once I began to understand a part of the depth of programming effort, I was not surprised at how long it took.  I do, however think it might be helpful for them to recruit a few more testers, if they can be properly vetted so that they add value to the effort and don't become a support problem.  But only Gerald can make that final determination.  (I would be available, however!  <grin>)
  • N3HQB
    N3HQB Member
    edited April 2019
    Is there a roadmap for v2050.4?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    By then, we won't need roads....
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    In another life.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    From what I read most are simply astonished with the release Gerald, I notice there are some and it is the same ones being critical and not helping. If I look at the release over all it seems great.
    I was just talking to Dave W20X on 40M and we were having trouble setting the audio on remote as he likes it as it was before the release. He plans to explain this soon with his posting.

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Well said Lee. There is *always* room for improvement; and those who deny it will never do so.
  • NM1W
    NM1W Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'm liking 1.4 and being in sw I know releases are never perfect,  but my nits are:
    1) daxiq doesnt remember the channel it was on
    2) in dax control panel the daxiq stream always seems to revert to 48k
    3) the slices are better at remembering their dax channel # but still seem to forget; I've not found a pattern with it yet that I can report..
    4) I find I have to jiggle the audio level slider at times to get audio to come out; I've never had to do that in 1.38
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I am guilty of it myself, many more times than I will admit here, but when one resorts to trawling the internet for published definitions of things one is worried that one is losing the argument.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    People who do not really follow this forum could get the distinct impression that you are quoting me. I am 99.9% sure that none of those quotes were from my postings - but feel free to correct me if I an wrong.

I was commenting on my posts and not those of others, maybe I should have made that more clear.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Many do not search for better wording, they search for definitions to bolster an argument, usually when losing. I used the word 'trawl' as the best definition that fits the purpose is invariably used.

It is as true as Godwin's rule and I claim first dibs on the name for this one.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    The way I see it there is no one more than Flex that wants to improve the product. Although they did not invent SDR they definitely mass pioneered it. Its here now and its the #1 receiver on the Sherwood chart.

Because Flex has made it work the competition is starting to surface. Either Flex makes the radio everyone wants or someone else will. I am positive they understand this concept.

I am looking forward to new releases as much as everyone else and cant wait to spend my $200 for a major upgrade.  I bought a flex because I have a good knob radio and figured it would be fun to play with. Oddly enough the Flex gets 90% of the air time and the Ic-7800 sits idle.

I wish there was a better wait to submit constructive criticism  as I would like to do it without turning it into a **** session on for forum.

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I agree with you 110%. I cannot wait to see how FRS will tempt my $200 out of me.
    One person's constructive criticism is another's insult or slight.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Good comments, Rich. It is a fine line between complaining and simply stating a finding to aid Flex in improving . I find there are some who state a problem then go on to say they are not doing a good job because they found a problem.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    It should read, it is a fine line between complaining and simply stating a problem to aid Flex in improving.
  • N3HQB
    N3HQB Member
    edited March 2015
    The journey is the reward.
  • Tom--W4FAS
    Tom--W4FAS Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Guy, I will try and clarify without making things even more confusing. You are 100% correct those statements were NOT made by you, but by Eric in his now famous one step forward, two steps back post . In my post, directed to Eric , I essencially said I thought FRS was doing outstanding work and should be congratulated not ridiculed. In your post to me you stated there was no redicule just constructive criticisms. I thought you were referring to Eric's post , since I had made no comments on your post. So, in my post back to you I included quotes from Eric' post because I thought that was what we were debating. Apologies to all for any confusion I may have created. 73, Tom
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Tom,

No worries mate, easily done.

Take care

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.