Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

One Program to rule them all?

Roy Laufer
Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in New Ideas
"One Program to rule them all, One Program to bind them."
"One Program to bring them all, and in the Network bind them..."

It is a testament to the power and flexibility of the Flex 6000 Series, that a product that has been available for a few years is still capable of so many more features as its software evolves and develops.

We are very fortunate to have some great programmers coming up with third party applications that extend SSDR's functionality.

One of the problems, as I see it, is that the present software architecture doesn't seem to allow for multiple controlling third party applications (i.e. if you use DDUtil, you can't use FRStack, or Pegasys Plus, or... -  you get the idea).

Is FRS planning on opening up the third party control access, perhaps with some controls for conflicting command recognition, so that more than one third party utility can  be used with another? At least, until/unless SSDR merges their features into itself?

Perhaps some future version of SSDR should allow a "shell" function, where the proper arrangements of script files will allow similar additional features, while being routed within SSDR???

Just think (and dreaming) out loud.

Any thoughts?

Roy AC2GS

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015

It would seem that that the hardware within the Flex as it stands is pretty busy and it might degrade the core functions to add "bells and whistles." I have thought about this also, and it would seem a more logical path would be to add external (maybe internal) hardware to take over these other tasks and keep the radio, itself, concentrated on the radio functions.

Jim, K6QE

• IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    It seems it is not the actual development philosophy.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/your-opinion-for-plugin-approach-in-ssdr-gui

While FlexLibs are a great example of Object Oriented programming software as the ethernet protocols below, you can't say the same for SSDR.
    People is a bit frightened when have to deal with: SSDR, SDR-Cat, SSDR-DAX-Control, DDUtils, FLDigi, LP-Bridge and CW-Skimmer.
    I hope that starting from 2.0 realeases things will go better.

73' Enzo
    iw7dmh
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited May 2017
    There is no reason you cannot run multiple external clients to talk / access the radio.  We routinely see several at a time at customer locations.  Today this does not extend to what we call a "GUI client" that displays panadapters -- today there can only be one. 

As far as I know, FRSStack, DDUtil, etc. call all coexist unless each has made assumptions about what their role in the world is and it conflicts with others...  What doesn't work that should?
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    From a cursory look, when DDUtil is running Pegasys Plus doesn't control any slice, and when either are running the FRStack Memory Mini window comes up blank.

They just don't seem to "play well with others" and since each program adds different feature sets it isn't a case of just picking "the one that does the same thing best".

Oh well, that's what we get for being on the bleeding edge...

Roy AC2GS
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017

I am not sure what anyone is talking about. In order to compliment the functions of the Flex, it is necessary to set up a computer adjacent to the Flex to run these extra functions like rotor control. I think some hope that all of these functions will be accessible from the Flex directly. For example, wouldn't it be nice if the 6000's would send frequency data directly to a SteppIr so that DDUtil would not be needed.

• Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Personally, I am not as focused upon third party software that controls other devices. I am addressing features that are non-existent or immature at this time on SSDR. FRStack does scanning and squelching and all manner of slice swapping, DDUtil does pushbutton macro key commands, Pegasys Plus can use the TMate 2 controller and offers a different GUI experience.

I'm just saying that it is a shame that they can't all "lay nice together", for whatever reason.

Perhaps in the long run this will all be moot, but for now things could run smoother...
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I have no problem running DXLabs (via the API), N1MM (via CAT), and my SDRMemory6k memory management program (via FlexLib) all at the same time.  Note that CAT & DAX are also separate programs that connect to SmartSDR via the API.

73, Ray, K9DUR
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Jim, at one point it did exactly that.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    These are programs that are run on the remote client. What is your feeling about running a computer adjacent to the Flex in order to remote control functions like the linear, SteippiR, rotor control where direct electrical connections are needed from the host to equipment? Should the philosophy be that we will always need this extra smart controller, or should these functions be supplied by the Flex itself?
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    "One program to rule them all...."

It's called Tron.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

Do the hardware interfaces arise for the ashes of the Phoenix?

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Let's set fire to your Flex 6K and find out.  :-)

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    All one has to do is look at the effect that the flexability that MicroSoft allowed with Flight Simulator. The *enormous* industry of third party add-ons (aircraft, landscapes, airports etc) that grew out of the open architecture; which of course, made Flight Simulator more popular with propellor-heads. It was a total win-win situation.

That situation can be mirrored with SSDR and make it even more attractive to even those that would not consider an SDR for their shack.
  • Kevin Va3KGS
    Kevin Va3KGS Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017

I chuckle at these comments , especially Jims above, as this is exactly where I am at with my equipment setup today.  A few month ago I posted a problem, and only found time a few week ago to get my remote station to work over my Local WAN/LAN setup (700 meters apart).  Now I'm finding that I have to use DDUTIL, plus VAC's or Vcom's to get the SteppIR, Alpha-spid Rotor, and the LP-100A to all dance together.  I have come to the conclusion that a remote computer is need for all these bells and whistles.  I'm looking into using HRD to provide some help here.  So my learning curve is still straight up!!  Cheers  K.

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015

Simon Lewis really hit the nail on the head with his fanless small solid-state computer pointing that not only do we need third party software but, third party hardware. Perahps, like the Maestro, Flex will come out with a piece of enhancing hardware on the radio side.

Jim, K6QE

• W5JD
    W5JD Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Outputting band (frequency) data directly from the 6000 radios should be at the top of the to-do list.  This is a basic functionality that almost all other radios have, so common that anyone new to the 6000 radios would just assume to be there.  The existing USB ports appear to be the obvious output source.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    You could do that with hrd but then you'd need an RDP program on a second computer to access the hrd computer.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.