Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

One PC runs SDR and second PC runs HRD with a Flex 6500?

Tom K3TF
Tom K3TF Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I use a PC running Windows 10 with Smart SDR controlling my Flex 6500. I would like to run HRD, Ham Radio Deluxe, on a second PC running Windows 10. 

Is this possible?

How would I do it? Load a second copy of SDR on the second PC and just run CAT set up with HRD on that PC?

Or load UTITUL software to connect HRD to Flex 6500? Not sure if Utitil supports this. 

Would I get a lot of packet crashes with SDR trying to get graphics from the 6500 and HRD constantly polling for logging info, Freq, mode, etc? I am not a computer guy and do not know if there is a protocol to prevent packet crashes like over the WiFi. Everything is hardwired with no WIFI. 

Trying to come up with a clean solution that does not slow down the PC graphics. 

Answers

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Why not just get another monitor and run both on the same computer? Personally I run three large monitors on a single computer and have absolutely no performance issues.

Jon...kf2e
  • Tom K3TF
    Tom K3TF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Jon,

That might be the best way for me to go. I have a fast PC with a "gaming video card" which does support 2 screens, which I currently have. 

Two problems:

1. HRD constantly keeps polling the radio for front panel info, freq, mode, etc. at a high data rate.

2. I find Windows keeps slightly re positioning the 2 LCD screens and I am always re-adjusting the window sizes. I run SDR, HRD, and a couple or RBN's so there is a lot going on.

I will wait and see if I get any other ideas.

Thanks,
    Tom....

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Yes, it's doable. I do it all the time. I keep CAT running on my shack PC and DAX for WSJT-X for logging while the radio console is either on my work PC or iPad. 

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    If I understand what you want to do, yes, you can do it.  Run run Minideluxe on the 2nd computer and have it point to the IP Address of the Radio.  Or, you can run a copy of CAT on the 2nd computer and point it to the Radio IP address.  

You can even run SSDR on one computer and then use a 2nd computer to run all your digital items stuff just fine.

Cool, eh?

73, Mike va3mw

• Tom K3TF
    Tom K3TF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ria,

Thanks. To load CAT on my other computer is it best to download the whole SSDR program or is there a way to just down load CAT??

Tom....

• Tom K3TF
    Tom K3TF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Mike,

It looks like Minideluxe only supports PowerSDR? I am running SmartSDR with a Flex 6500??

Tom...

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'm running it with SSDR.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    As far as I know you need to run the entire installer. There is no option to just install CAT. 
  • W0JD
    W0JD Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tom,

Prior to jumping into creating a solution I would like to understand the problems more completely.

HRD Performs a CAT poll about 10 times a second in my environment, To see for yourself select the serial port HRD is connected to in SmartSDR CAT and click on the Log button. This polling presents no load to SmartSDR or the O/S, to verify observe the process CPU usage in taskmager with HRD connected and not connected.

You state HRD is constantly polling the radio at a high rate, what is the rate you are observing and do you suspect and issue is being caused by this?

On a 24inch monitor with SmartSDR maximized containing 4 pana adapters and the display rate and FPS at the max SmartSDR is consuming 15% CPU and video card is running along a 20% CPU utilization. The video card is driving 3 monitors so not all of this workload is SmartSDR driven.

On to the window repositioning issue screen shots of this with an explanation of the timeline, O/S version, etc would help us all understand better the circumstances and possible solutions.

Regards, Jay

• Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I'm running 3 monitors on an i-3/3.4Ghz/8GB desktop, with SSDR, HRD Log, HRD Rotator, CW Skimmer/SDR-Bridge, FRStacks, Flexmeter, and DDUtil used to link HRD, thus doing away with the overhead of HRD itself, all running concurrently 24/7.   With all of that, I'm only running about 35% CPU usage.  I keep my laptop free for web browsing for the most part.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Personally I have a hard time understanding why anyone would need to run HRD Desktop when SSDR does everything so much better without hogging resources. 

I run 3 monitors, Softether, SSDR, DDUTIL, HRD Log, DXLabs Log, FlexMeter, WSJTX, JT Alert (2-4 instances)  and a host of other programs all at the same time on a i-5 3.9GHz 32GB desktop... about 20% CPU at maximum

• Tom K3TF
    Tom K3TF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Thanks for all the inputs. I am a retired EE and know barely enough about the Windows 10 OS and its system architecture. Grew up on Digital mini-computers. My PC is running an AMD quad core processor at 3.7Ghz. AMD AID-7850K. 

Just running SSDR with no other App's:

Here is what my PC is doing:

One slice open: CPU usage 26% at 3.22Ghz., Ethernet send 1.7Mbit recv 1.5Mbit

Four slices open:  CPU usage 74% at 3.85Ghz., Ethernet send 1.6Mbit recv 7.3Mbit

Based on some of your inputs it looks like my CPU is probably not well implemented. PC has 8Gbit RAM. 

System currently runs great. No crashes, no stops or glitches on the spectrum or waterfall displays.

I am concerned about adding more "load" to the system and increasing the CPU usage percentages.

Since I have another PC I figure would be easier to just run HRD and my other App's there.

Again thanks for the inputs. I am going to run CAT on my second PC with the other supporting programs.

73 & 161,
    Tom
    K3TF......

• Tom K3TF
    Tom K3TF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Howard, 

HRD for logging only. I do not use DM780 or front panel features. 

Tom...

• Tom K3TF
    Tom K3TF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Rick,

Tnx for the inputs. I need to play around with DDUtil and HRD. Still learning here.

Tom
    K3TF....

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Then you definitely do not need HRD Desktop.. just DDUTIL and HRDLogbook
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Using 2 computers to do the job of one seems overly complicated. Personally, I owuld just run everything on one, and see if it bogs down your computer. I suspect it will work just fine. 

I've had the entire fldigi suite running along with a couple slices and the Browser on na old W10 dual core machine, and not a stutter, So if HRD logbook brings your computer to it's knees, it's bloatware. 

One thing is for certain, it won't take long to see if you have an issue by just trying it. 

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020

I suggest installing DDUtil and HRD on same PC as SmartSDR. In DDUtil Setup/Features make sure to check HRD server and select 6.2 if you are running version 6.2 or newer.

Now you only need to run HRD Logbook and/or DM780. You do not run the main HRD program. The CPU usage and polling will be a lot less.

In HRD Logbook make sure in the radio pane window that you DO NOT have a TX button. There is a known bug with latest HRD Logbook and if that button is present it will not track radio modes correctly.

Let me know if you need any more info on how to set this up.

Dave wo2x

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    MiniDeluxe supports SmartSDR. Just tick it. 
    You'll need version 2.1 from https://github.com/krisp/MiniDeluxe/releases
    The dicscussion about the HRD control programm seems to be endless and
    has been around for a long time. I think HRD is in use just because of it's
    looks and becaus it can support SmartSDR :-) 
    One computer and 2 monitors is my current setup and I use MiniDeluxe instead
    of DDUtil, as DDUtil has issues with WSJT-X.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I use DDUTIL AND WSJT-X No ISSUES WHATSOEVER
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That's the beauty of it. Using 2 or more computers is amazingly simple. You just install ssdr on each computer and start the parts you require.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.