Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

On V2 & Improved Dynamic Range for FLEX-6300

Varistor
Varistor Member ✭✭
edited February 2018 in New Ideas
While FRS is keeping the details of how the dynamic range was increased, we can certainly take some clues from an oldie but goodie paper published quite a while:

http://www.analog.com/en/analog-dialogue/articles/oversampled-adc-pga-dynamic-range.html

Since it is unlikely that the 6000 series sampling frequency can be overclocked, we are only left with the option of actively managing the gain of the ADC and feeding that gain into the FPGA for further number crunching.

If the method of achieving higher dynamic range is truly unique and represents FRS IP, you'd expect FRS to patent it; a patent search on FRS will provide the answer. My bet is on the ADC gain.

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    Why patent when trade secrets offer better protection ;-)
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Simple- to prevent others from using it or at least to monetize the IP.

ADC gain seems to be the most likely solution as it has been around for quite a while. Probably not worth implementing on the rest of the 6000 series as they already have a BPF ahead of the ADC.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Looking at other signals on air with the upgrade, and from what people now tell me what they see in mine,,I would think it is Flex form of pure signal, seeing an Anan and a Flex on the same Freq with this V.2 I can't tell the diff
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    What is being discussed here is RX, not TX. Further, you can't implement predistortion without some sort of output sampling device. What you are seeing is likely the result of better filtering of the input audio.
  • Dave KD5FX
    Dave KD5FX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    What will Improved Dynamic Range do for me? How will it affect my use of the radio?
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Unless you are a contester with good antennas and in a low band noise environment there will be no difference. This is more about specs and bragging rights.

Watch Rob Sherwood's presentations on receiver performance:

https://youtu.be/dnQyQomUaRc?list=PLR...

https://youtu.be/owaaT6u4XkY
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

Patents make little sense unless you have incredibly deep pockets to defend them..

Even then sometimes deeper pockets show up to steal your IP (Qualcomm vs Apple)

Been there, Done That....

Trade secrets work better albeit it one takes one disgruntled employee to **** the cover.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Varistor, On the Flex 6700 and 6500 no out board connections are needed. The taps are in the radio and it is a software change to accomplish it. Unless using an amp with the sampling connections on it.
    Newbie Member
    edited July 2017
    I seriously doubt it that FRS had the capacity to deliver pre-distortion considering WAN remote access is half-baked. They would have made a huge PR deal out of it.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    That's really funny,,wow are you ever behind the times...lol
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    No DAX over WAN is not funny to me at all. In fact, if you were to search these very forums, you will quickly find that people have been hoping and asking for predisttortion for years. It hasn't happened yet.
  • Dave KD5FX
    Dave KD5FX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I read that, I watched those but it didn't answer my question. Will IDR help me pull out stations deeper in the noise that I can now? OR does it let me hear that S5 station right next to a S9+25 signal?

• Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    No, it won't improve your radio's noise figure, which is what you need to copy the very weak signal. Further, the 6300 can already handle the S9+25 do signal without a problem.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.