Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

On Mint 17.1 Cinnamon ...

Gary L. Robinson
Gary L. Robinson Member ✭✭
I wrote myself a little helper app in C# with FlexLib API a while back.  I have been very pleased with the ability of the FlexLib API's.  I recently decided to see if I could get it to work as a "API.Gui = true" app.  It took me a bit to get it where it is running without SSDR BUT I am listening to 40mtr SSB with it in Mint 17.1 Cinnamon via Wine as I type this post.

I am NOT handling the data for the Panadapter I requested in the code BUT I can manipulate the rig fairly well with the other controls in my app.

The app does NOT close down at all - I have to use Linux System Monitor to **** it right now - but I am fairly sure I can figure out how to fix it if I debug it enough hihi

It transmits and receives well on SSB but will not do digital of course since I don't have DAX or CAT installed.  That is probably something that is not going to ever work but I will try other things later to see what I can do.

But all my apps controls - SMeter, Power, SWR and others all work just like in Windows albeit uglier since Wine fonts are stock.

Anyhow, it is NOT exactly SmartSDR hihi but it is NICE to be able to use my rig in Linux on SSB!  I had tried numerous times with Virtual Machines of several flavors with virtual machines but the video performance in the VM's did not work well with the Panadapters.  

Perhaps I will call my little app DumbSDR hihi  But it's a lot of fun playing with this stuff.  Thanks again Flex for helping to keep me young and engaged - at least in my mind hihi

---Gary WB8ROL

Comments

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Yes it is (being off Windows. I am not sure I'll ever have a facsimile of DAX in a portable package XPSSDR is portable. I also don't currently have remote as it isn't high on my list at this time. What I do have is an incredibly portable facsimile, functionally compatible verion of Flexlib.

With a couple of pointers, Enzo has a real profession UI using the same technology I am. The next domino to fall is a portable logging program that times in directly to the radio to allow the log program be the primary UI. I also have a Linux based, although it runs on Windows too. Control Surface for the radio.

You've done well. Good job.
    XPSSDR is cross platform smartsdr.

I am likely not inclined, at this point, to open the source. I am considering a binary release of the library complete with what is referred to as JavaDoc which explains the public functions and gives some small applets on using it.

After incorporating a licensing API, ala Stu's and DogParks (IOS) I will likely offer it for sale. I'll run virtually anywhere, Linux, Windows, Mac, Android, Raspberry Pi. Perhaps even IOS.

I am glad folks like you are branching out Gary. Again, good job!

btw, This is all being developed on Ubuntu 14.04LTS and 16.04LTS when it is released in April.

Walt - kz1f
  • Gary L. Robinson
    edited February 2016
    Sounds like a real interesting product Walt!  Will be looking forward to an April release.  

I think my little "dumb" client (since it doesn't have panadapter) will run fine in a Windows VM in linux since it will not need all that video info to bog it down.  I have a Win 7 VM and tomorrow I will install the latest SSDR in it (to get the latest DAX + CAT drivers) and then I run that in linux if I need a panadapter or want to do digi modes for now.

But come April ..... things may start to get even more interesting.

Catcha later Walt!

---73 Gary WB8ROL
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    As much as I LOVE the SSDR panadapter on my 6500, and I have subscribed for a year of K6TU's excellent program, There are times I would also appreciate a simple interface like Walt describes...a simple radio control op that incorporates a simple interface to my rig.  There are times I don't need a panadapter, or waterfall.  I just need frequency and control readout, and audio to and from my headphones.  Then I could use a single program to work and log stations remotely, especially when the available bandwidth is not sufficient to drive the graphics.  
    I would love to see a version of this for both Ipad and PC...

Ken - NM9P
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I've never definitively determined which is less expensive, the spectrum display or the waterfall. I kick myself as it should be eminently solvable. The spectrum display gets n data points per frame (small data count) but the entire rectangle needs to be redrawn. Waterfall gets n data points per frame but only the latest line (y=0) needs to be drawn, the rest just needs to be scrolled.

Ken, would you elaborate on what you mean by simple interface I described?
  • chris hartley (G3VjV)
    edited January 2017
    Hi Gary, you may be interested to know I have very basic Flex Radio controller running native in Mint 17 64 bit, written in Lazarus, I'm just using TCP protocol at the moment so no meters or Spectrum Display.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    @Ken The program you describe already exists. It is called COMMCAT
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Sorry Walt, I need to adjust my bifocals.  I got your post confused with Gary's initial post describing his experimental work.

It's a pain in the neck, starting to age....

@Howard.  Describe to me how I would use COMCAT with the flex?  I downloaded it on my iPhone a long time ago but have never done anything with it except play with the logging function....

Ken - NM9P
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I passed bifocals a long time ago. Now I am envious of you young folk. ;-)
  • Gary L. Robinson
    edited February 2016
    Hi Chris - Nice to see some Linux stuff starting to show up! I have been looking at the SmartSDR Ethernet API the last week or so and it looks a little daunting. That's why I am excited about the native linux "flexlib" that Walt is working on. I can see light at the end of the tunnel and know the day I can say good by to Windows is getting closer :-) ---Gary WB8ROL
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Gary, XPSLib was completely done in May....Once I obfuscate the jar file I may release it as binary. It runs on Linux but also runs on Windows, Mac, Raspberry Pi, Android, etc. What I am debating is whether to release XPSSDR (the SSDR facsimile) which is equally portable. It uses XPSLib as will the XPSLog. First I have to close the bootleg vector.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    @Ken Currently sitting in Dentist chair working radio via Commcat on iPhone. It provides excellent frequency control and voip on my iPhone or iPad. No spectrum display so works well in slow 3G connectionsimage
  • chris hartley (G3VjV)
    edited December 2016
    This is all  good news, I hope I can make use of Walt's library in Pascal, I'm getting too old to learn C++, the curly brackets make me dizzy :)
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    XPSLib is a jar file (library). It runs in a jvm, similar to Microsoft's CLR, except on Android where under 6.x it is converted into directly executable code. There are many languages that can directly link to or load jvm classes and execute methods. C++ is not one of them.
  • Reg
    Reg Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Howard:

Did you configure Commcat as a TS-2000 radio?

Reg
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Yes. But the latest release is supposed to be 6000. Haven't tried it yet.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Just tried the new version of COMMCAT. The Flex 6000 version works ok now.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.