Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

OM3500A with Flex 6300 - Please Advice on Automation

Dear Friends, I am running a Flex 6300 & OM3500A and I was in search of the way to make my PA running automatic with the band changes in the Flex! The software DDUtil was not successful to establish connection to the in-between the rigs and which has been confirmed by the Author even though OMpower website shows as the successful method to connect the PA with RIG through PC! I guess the only way left is to connect the PA with Radio through Serial cable, ca any one suggest the wiring diagram to make the serial cable to do so? Best 73s de A71AD Rashid

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016

I can't see how it would be possible to talk to your amplifier unless you ran an RS232 cable between your computer and your amplifier. There has been discussion of using mini computers dedicated to work with the Flex radios to provide the necessary interfacing and direct control to peripheral equipment. I am using such a computer to control my beam headings and my StepIR control box. In both cases I am using USB to RS232 cables which requires a driver set up in the controlling computer. DDutil provides the communication between the computer and the Flex radio.

Jim, K6QE

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Like Jim, I too am using USB to rs232 cables with ddutil, when on Windows, and straight through frm PC to amp when on Linux. I have yet to plumb in the dcu-1 rotor control.
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hi Rashid,

I had the same problem with my OM2500A and tried everything I could to get the OM2500A to follow the Flex.

The solution was very simple.  There is a Icom CI-V port on my OM2500A, just as there is on your OM3500A.  This is what is needed:

1.  A USB to Serial adapter
    2.  DDUTIL
    3.  An Icom CT-17 level converter
    4.  A 9 pin to 25 pin serial cable (because the input on the CT-17 is a 25 pin connector....a 9 pin to 25 pin converter would also work)
    5.  A two conductor cable with male 1/8" connectors on each end connects the CT-17 to the CI-V input on the OM3500A

Basically DDUTIL will interface to the Flex and send out frequency information in ICOM FORMAT through the virtual COM port that the USB to Serial Adapter will create when it is plugged into a USB port.  This virtual COM port number will be used to tell DDUTIL where to send the frequency information on the amplifier page of DDUTIL.

Run the DDUTIL Setup and select the amplifier page.  On that page there is a section for the Icom PW-1 amplifier.  Enter the COM port number that the USB to Serial Adapter created into the port entry box in the PW-1 section.  I checked both the RTS and DTS boxes.

On the menu system of the OM amplifier select OLD ICOM as the Transceiver interface.  The New ICOM menu selection does not seem to work as well.  This works beautifully and has yet to fail to follow the Flex frequency, accurate to 1 Khz.

My physical connections are as follows:

I have a 50 foot USB repeater cable from my computer to the next room where the OM2500A is on a cart.  That USB repeater cable connects to a Prolific USB to Serial converter.  The serial converter 9 pin serial output connects to a 9 pin serial to 25 pin serial converter cable.  The 25 pin side of that converter cable plugs into the 25 pin port on the Icom CT-17 box, and a 1/8", 2 conductor cable connects the CT-17 to the CI-V input on the OM amplifier.

Sound complicated, but it is dirt simple compared to everything else I tried.  It works.  Good luck.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Very nicely stated. I think your explanation will clear this up for a lot of users. Thank you for taking the time to provide this information to the users.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    It doesn't work with Passive Listener in DDUtil?

http://k5fr.com/DDUtilV3wiki/index.php?title=Ports#Passive_Listener
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016

Yes it does. You probably have a setting incorrect. Be sure you are setting your data speed correctly as the radio/unit will not work if the speed set on the unit is different from the setting on DDutil. I am using passive listener working on my StePPIR box.

JIm, K6QE

• Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    It didn't for me.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016

When I first tried it, I hooked an oscilloscope to the RX and TX lines to be sure data was being sent out. At first I saw no data, until I got the Com ports correct. Started getting data but still didn't work. Finally backed into the problem by using the correct radio and speed. All errors on my part.

Jim, K6QE

• Rashid Yousef Al Sulaiti
    edited April 2020
    Thanks to all of you specially Charles - K5UA

After trying all solutions I found that DDUTIL is NO LONGER required! specially with the latest version of the Flex Smart SDR.

Once I updated the software, I used CAT program to create all necessary ports and its solve all problems.

It was easy, simple & straight forward.

Thanks again for your time & effort.

Rashid, A71AD
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Rashid, can you explain what are the solution / you have done? Have 2 of this amps, 1 at icom and other should go to flex for SO2R

73 Chris
    dl5nam@gmx.de
  • I0JBL - Luc
    I0JBL - Luc Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Rashid gm,  I support the Chris request since we are in the same condition and with the same effort. Can you write please a brief message with your solution.
    73 and DX 
    de Luciano, I0JBL
  • Rashid Yousef Al Sulaiti
    edited February 2016

Dear All,

Greetings from A7…

The Steps are here to connect the OM3500A with Flex 6300, you need to have null modem serial cable / cross over cable with female connector in both end

Connect the Serial cable to the serial socket of PC (PC device manager shown as COM 1) & other end to the port written as Transceiver in the PA.

Now go to PA & SET the transceiver as Kenwood & Bud Rate 9600 and put it in auto.

Install the latest software for Flex 6K series Ver 1.6.21 Smart SDR & CAT and connect the Radio and turn it on the flex will automatically generate virtual serial ports, in my case serial COM 4 & 14

Open the smart SDR CAT and press Add Serial Port and name as VSP COM 5, select the newly added serial port and click edit.

Select Port Type Exciting and select the original hardware COM port of PC namely COM 1in my case and assign as CAT COM to VFO A

Once you complete the above step now you could hear the PA Turing to the Radios frequency and establishing the connection. Now OM3500A will follow the Flex6300 everywhere!

Best 73 de

A71AD Rashid

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Maybe for some of use new: there is  free PDF file for download at OM-Power web called Flex Radio series 6xxx connection manual .

Also user of a older" 2500A or 3500A can order a new  IC with Flex6xxx included as selectable TRX for communication. It's not a big deal to change the circuit; only a screwdriver is needed. No soldering.

73 Chris

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.