Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

OM Power to Flex 6000 installation tutorial needed

Options
Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
There has been different threads on how to install OM2500A amp to Flex-6000 series. Using DDUtil and RCP Port to physical RS-232 port of TRX RS-232 input of 2500A. And even without DDUtil by directly connecting the HW RS-232 port to the smart SDR CAT port.
I have tried both but with no luck using a null modem cable as all say it must be. Same 9600 baud all through...
Is there a special sequency one must do it to get the amp to follow during initiation? I mean the order of starting Flex, SDRCAT, DDUtil and so on. Or is the baud rate wrong?
Is there someone out there how have found a reliable and consistent way of get it working? So frustrating it is to have to spend hours getting it working...:( 

Answers

• np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    e mail on the way for ddutil and commander
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    DDUTIL OK any of the A “Auto” OM Power amplifiers work with the Flex 3000,5000,6000 series, Apache Labs ANAN (Any) Requirements: One free com port on your PC. (It can be a USB COM ) One null modem cable with the correct connectors to attach to your computer /OM Transceiver RS232 Port. One Ddutil , or Commander ,program , There are others but these work fine. For this discussion I am using DDUTIL After you download Ddutil : (Send him money It' a great program ) SETUP If you have a Flex 6000 series check Signature The port listed is the CAT port on the Flex. If you are using a ANAN select legacy radio and follow the same setup PORTS RCP,s Here is where you pick the com port on the PC . The program will re direct all the info for you. Be sure to maintain one baud rate and the rest of the info ok. (You may have to go to the PC setup to define the Baud rate of the selected hard port. If you have a ANAN or Flex 3000 ,5000 then your selections are different. For Flex It Is legacy For Anan in options go to DEMO/HPSDR (Check same) If you are running Ham radio delux Logging select HRD Apps Enab (Choose correct version) Super this way Plug cable into computer and Transceiver port (NOT PC port) on OM POWER rear apron The PTT goes from the radio to the OM where it should. Almost there ; On front panel of OM select where you choose what radio you have (I use Elecraft or Kenwood ) Select the correct Baud rate. Now the hard part. Restart First the Flex (WITH THE CAT RUNNING) or the ANAN then Start DDUTIL if setup correctly it will tell you that the program is communicating with the radio CAT . The OM If in AUTO will respond by reading the Frequency Adjust to that Frequency/band . The OM will go anywhere in Manual It's that simple. OM Amplifiers are one great series of amplifiers very very well made great choice of tubes I personally love Tetrodes. They do tune/load a bit different so at least read or look at the web site it has tuning video They can produce BIG BIG Watts They really have the KVA transformers in them that will effortlessly do this all year long. So it is very easy to produce the 1.5KW .At this rate my OM will last forever. I do use mine with 6500 , KX3 , ANAN 200D ,YEP All run my OM at legal .Fully Auto . You do hear comments about Fan noise For me it has absolutely never been a issue And I run electronic audio processing. Like the Big boys should.
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Ddutil and CT-17 level converter. Use ICOM CIV port on OM. Will send exact instructions next week when I get back from vacation.
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Thanks you Ed. I follow the above set-up more or less. I have checked the RS-232 port and it is worlking. After initiating DDutil I see (and hear) that the amp tunes to the Flex. Frequency but then after 2-3 s "communication lost". Perhaps using CI-V protocoll is more consistent....
  • WBB
    WBB Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    If u can't get it working Send me email AK5WB@att.net I will tell u how I have mine hooked up Bill
  • Dave
    Dave Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hi Kari

There is no benefit to using DDUTIL. Just connect directly to the PC Serial port. Set Amplifier to Flexradio. Works great but only for TX on slice A. That will be resolved once Flex creates a CAT port type that exports TX slice frequency.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Is there a possibility to use the OM-Power Remote Control via LAN with Flex6 ? Box has LAN connection. A friend of mine has written a tool to control his Amp (with LAN connector, not OM-Power); using DXlab/Comander and his tool working as bridge. He told me he can use every TRX (he has no Flex) - listed in DxLab/Commander - to use his Amp. I have not tested but will give a try as next.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.