OM 4000 to a 6700

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I am trying to connect and OM 4000 to a 6700. I have a couple of question

1. Does it need to be an FTDI chipset or will a prolific work.
2. I plug into the radio USB port correct?
3. Do I need to set up any comm courts in cat

Mike
Photo of Mike Hoing

Mike Hoing

• 281 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 797 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
As of right now the USB support on the Flex only supports FTDI, If your plugging directly into the radio then they need to be FTDI chipset.
It will see some Prolific devices but the ones I have tried don't work.

73's
Bret
WX7Y
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1465 Posts
  • 310 Reply Likes

1. Yes. FTDI chipset only. Be careful of knock off Chinese cables found on Amazon as some are not real FTDI chipsets and will not work. DigiKey and Mouser have the real deal. Reason they chose FTDI is the cable chipset has a unique serial number for each cable. That way it can maintain same "port number" within the radio.

2. Plug into the USB port on back of radio. If plugging in more than two devices into radio (FTDI cables or D-Star dongle) you can use a USB hub.

3. In SmartSDR click on settings and USB cables. You will see new CAT Cable, serial number of the cable, and Type. It will initially show invalid. Double click it to open the config menu for the cable. If you click on advance it bring up extra options such as baud rate, parity, and flow control

Here's screenshots of a cable set for serial CAT control. There are different functions it can track for CAT info. For an amplifier I use TX Slice.

More info available at http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/usb-cable-interface-guide-pdf/

Dave wo2x

Photo of Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith

• 26 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Unfortunate this doesn't seem to work correctly. For me anyway my OM4K polls "FT" and the radio answers "?". If I set the Auto-report to enabled and switch TX slices around the radio will respond with FA(tx freq) as expected. But will shortly loose communication when the PA reverts back to polling FT then ?

• 1465 Posts
  • 310 Reply Likes
If you change active tx slice to Slice A instead, does it lose communications?

Try toggling Auto Report also.
(Edited)
Photo of Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith

• 26 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Yes any slice will loose communications. This was working consistently on slice A only when working with the serial port on the computer and a cat port setup on SmartSDR CAT. Now using radio USB port the PA polls "FT" and the radio responds "?". The only way to start it is to click Auto-report but once you settle on a slice A or any other the PA looses communications because the radio stops responding. So disappointing I've waited 3 years for this feature, hope this can be resolved soon.

BTW I am using an FTDI USB2-F-1001-X10 cable purchased direct from FTDI
Photo of Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith

• 26 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
This is what I would expect with TX Slice trigger, for any TX designated slice
and is what I get for slice A only using PC serial port and smartSDR Cat
12:56:35 [RCP1 READ] FT;                            from OM4000A
12:56:35 [RCP1 WRITE] FT0;                        from 6700
12:56:35 [RCP1 READ] FA;                            from OM4000A
12:56:35 [RCP1 WRITE] FA00007166000;    from 6700
repeats at PA polling rate

This is what I get with FTDI USB cable
READ FT OM4000A
WRITE ?  6700
repeat at PA polling rate

As stated above it will read when Auto-report set to Enable but quickly times out as polling returns to FT and ?

• 1465 Posts
  • 310 Reply Likes
Is it forgetting the semicolon?

What radio do you have selected in the OM4000? Been a while since I owned a 2500A

Try selecting Kenwood or Elecraft K3.

Dave wo2x
Photo of Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith

• 26 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Tried all radios, not the PA since it works as expected using the PC serial port

• 1465 Posts
  • 310 Reply Likes
Have you tried selecting advanced for the USB settings in the radio and enabling Auto Poll?
Photo of Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith

• 26 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I should say I don't think it is the PA since it works (Slice A only) using the PC serial port. Both Kenwood or Flex protocols work using the Computer serial port, PA & 6700. It is not missing the semi colon I just forgot to transcribe it here.

• 1465 Posts
  • 310 Reply Likes
Meant to say Auto report, not Auto Poll.
Photo of Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith

• 26 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I don't see a selection called Auto-poll, as I said above I have tried Auto-report. It reports the frequency correctly once when the slice is changed then the PA quickly times-out when the FT starts getting ? responses from the radio as polling continues
Photo of Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith

• 26 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
From logging I see the 6700 is getting FT: It should respond FT0; but sends ?; 
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9197 Posts
  • 3557 Reply Likes
Official Response
The FT command is not currently supported in the 1.10.8 BETA.  It will be supported in the next public release.  However, there is a major caveat.  When using the Kenwood command FT, the underlying assumption is that there is only a VFO-A and VFO-B and hence the command will only respond with the argument of 0 (VFO-A) or 1 (VFO-B) as the transmitter.  The FLEX-6000 can assign the transmitter to VFO-A thru VFO-H.  So if Slice C-H is the transmitter, the FLEX-6000 will respond back with the FT0 (VFO-A).

This will work fine as long as you are emulating a legacy radio by only having Slice A and Slice B active.
Photo of Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith

• 26 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Yes that is the way it works on CAT right now with FA; = FA0; and FB;= FB1; It will be great to have this capability on all the slice receivers when TX is assigned to that slice. Too bad the USB manual stated that FT is supported. Stating that is was not on the beta release would have saved me 4 hours of head scratching.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9197 Posts
  • 3557 Reply Likes
The problem is that the Kenwood CAT command set was not built for nor does it support more than 2 VFOs.  What is needed is the device manufacturer add native FLEX-6000 support.
(Edited)
Photo of Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith

• 26 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
No that isn't a problem. The 6700 only needs to implement the Kenwood protocol as stated in the USB manual and output the freq of the TX slice in response to FT / FA. In fact there should only be an FA response regardless of TX slice. For example:
TX on slice A-H the exchange should look like this:
OM4000 sends: FT:
6700 responds: FT0;
OM4000 sends: FA;
6700 responds: FA00003505000;      for 3.505 Mhz

this repeats at the OM4000 polling rate

I thought that was what the TX Slice trigger was intended for. Regardless of TX slice always output the frequency on FA that's the way the Kenwood protocol could be very useful in conjunction with Flex

Also there should be a CAT implementation that puts out the frequency of the TX slice in response to FA then the Kenwood protocol would work universally for many units.

Please just implement FT and FA as the USB manual states
Photo of Chris DL5NAM

Chris DL5NAM

• 680 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes
Photo of Mike Hoing

Mike Hoing

• 281 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Chris how do you have it infaced for auto band changes. Could you include screen shots of any com port settings and cane settings

I assum you are using the latest software release. Are you plugged into radio? What cables are you using did you make any modifications to pin out

Mike
N9DFD
Photo of Chris DL5NAM

Chris DL5NAM

• 680 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes
Mike, no.

This config runs well since 6 month here. One RS232 cable from Amp true a RS232/USB adapter and plugged into PC USB slot. I never operate without PC; so it's equal where the Amp is connected. I never try the USB at Flex (will give a try). Have a second 3500A, also direct connect to my IC7800.

Yes, it's a new software inside OM-P (only a PIC to change, easy - ask Tibi :-)

(... both PA usable via WAN for remote operation; here placed at basement - not in shack)

Photo of Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith

• 26 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
That is fine if you only want to use slice A to transmit on. It doesn't work for other slices. What we need to remember is the 6000 series radios only have 1 transmitter. So the fact that the Kenwood protocol only support 2 VFO's is not relevant.
When the 'transmit trigger' is set to 'TX slice', the radio should put out the TX freq on Kenwood VFO A or B. The OM4000 sequence goes FT, FA or FT, FB depending on the radio responding FT0 or FT1 if the radio responds FT0 the OM power will respond FA if the radio puts out the freq in response to ether VFO A or VFO B the PA will have the correct frequency. All quite simple and consistent with the Kenwood protocol except for the small bit of logic causing smartSDR TX trigger to ALWAYS output the freq on one of the 2 Kenwood VFOs depending on the FT response being 0 or 1. That is what TX trigger if for!

• 1465 Posts
  • 310 Reply Likes
Actually on the 6500 and 6700 you can have the TX slice set for something other than slice A (FA) or slice B (FB). So if you are using three slices and have TX set for slice C on 40 meters for example but slice A is on 80, the radio will report the 80 meter frequency.

If you don't use more than 2 slices it will work when they fix the FT command in the next release as Tim said. This is NOT a Flex issue but a limitation of the Kenwood CAT command structure.

If you have the cable set for TX slice and have auto poll enabled it should send the freq info to the amp upon freq or band change. That should have the amp see the CAT command, adjust, but will time out again. At least the amp will be tuned though. A workaround until the next release.

Dave wo2x
Photo of Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith

• 26 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
David that is incorrect ! Slice A is receiver slice A. FA is Kenwood VFO A. This is so simple I'm not sure why it is so difficult to understand. My 6700 has up to 8 receiver slices. Any ONE can be designated the TX slice. On the USB menu when the source: = TX slice the radio should report the frequency on FA or FB depending on if FT is 0 or 1. So simple

• 1465 Posts
  • 310 Reply Likes
Maybe we are saying the same thing....

From page 22 of the SmartSDR CAT manual
FT Reads / Sets Transmit VFO (0=A, 1=B)

If the radio is set to TX on VFO C or higher SmartSDR CAT defaults to sending an FA command. The Kenwood FT and FA/FB commands were only designed for two VFO radios. The 6500 and 6700 can have 4 and 8 receivers respectively. Any one of those receive slices can be designated the TX slice. If the TX slice is C or higher then the radio will return FT0 and FAxxxxx for the active slice and frequency. The amp should still work and not disconnect but the amp will think the radio is set to TX on slice A instead of the actual TX slice (if C or higher).

As Tim stated the FT command is not working with the USB cable in the 1.10.8 public release but should be fixed in the next public release

Dave
(Edited)
Photo of Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith

• 26 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hooray ! yes correct and BTW the amp has no knowledge of slices only VFO A and VFO B it is using the Kenwood protocol. All it needs is a TX frequency and there is only one a time ever.

• 1465 Posts
  • 310 Reply Likes
Once they fix the FT0 command in the next public release it will respond to the poll.

Set the cable to report TX slice freq and also enable Auto Report for the cable so it will send freq updates on band/VFO changes.

Dave
Photo of Charles - K5UA

Charles - K5UA

• 319 Posts
  • 89 Reply Likes
Ddutil + USB Cable to USB Serial Converter + CT-17 + CI-V port on the OM.  Boom. Done.