Old Maestro vs New, raspy CW sidetone?

• Question
  • Updated 1 week ago
I have the old "original" Maestro... does the revamped "new" Maestro have a better sounding sidetone on CW? The raspiness is pretty bad on my Maestro. Wish there were a fix...
Photo of Lasse Moell

Lasse Moell

• 111 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Duane, AC5AA

Duane, AC5AA

• 443 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
I don't know how "raspy" your version A Maestro is, but I just got a new one a few weeks ago, and it still has a raspy tone.  Don't know how it compares, however.
Photo of Brian Hemmis

Brian Hemmis

• 16 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
They are essentially the same.
Photo of Russ Ravella

Russ Ravella

• 37 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
I was pretty unhappy with the sound of my new Maestro CW side tone when I got it new the end of last year. That should make it a "Version B".  I asked FRS about it and was told they were aware of the problem, had worked a great deal on it, that it is MUCH better now than it was but they've concluded there's no more they can do so don't expect it to ever improve.  The responder said, "... it's not one of my favorite Maestro features...".  I completely agree.
Photo of Steven Linley

Steven Linley

• 359 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Has anyone looked at the waveform (the side tone)? I am going to compare the 6600's sidetone to the Maestro's.
I have an "A", which I bought used. I am really happy with it except the sidetone is a bit raspy. I'm accustom to it now.
Photo of Lasse Moell

Lasse Moell

• 111 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
A bit raspy is a an understatement :) I'll see if I can capture the sound. Thanks for the information on the newer h/w.