Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Ok I have seen the Alpha release of 1.4

Dale KB5VE
Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I was invited to see what the latest alpha looked like. I can assure you they are very very very close to locking this down. I will not get into the features other than to say it looks good plays good. I was allowed to get on remote over the lan. Could not work a long time but what I did worked well, made a few contacts and very little adjusting. I have a I5 hp notebook, not very powerful seemed to work ok even when I went outside by the pool. Did not carry a headset but talked with the mic in the computer . Look at the picture Gerald posted on one of his comments looks just like what I saw. I believe I was called because I have been tapping my toe waiting and a lot of people on here know me. Folks 1.4 is working and it has lan which is working very well. The hardest thing I ever did was uninstalling the release, I was not asked to but it was the right thing to do. I am now setting onmy hands waiting just like all of you. So some of you are very upset and I can understand but I will say this the release is very close and it is worth the wait as least for me it is. That is all I know and let's hope it comes soon.

Comments

• Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Dale thanks for the update. I have no doubt that 1.4 will be another great release and worth the wait.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    We have to laugh at ourselves getting all antsy over a radio software release.  The title of your message sounds like when Moses went up on the mount and talked to God, then came back and told everyone about it.

I never had any doubt that 1.4 would kick ****, nor do I have doubt that future releases will be just as exciting.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Very much looking forward to LAN capability.  This spring, I'll be able to sit out by the BBQ Smoker and play Radio at the same time!  How fun!
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Didn't Moses break the first set of tablets when he came down the mountain after talking to God and saw that the people were whining?

Hi Hi....
  • Bill Roberts
    Bill Roberts Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Ah, no.  They were doing a lot worse than whining.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    They were sitting by the pool, eating BB-Q from the fatted calf and consuming copious quantities of alcohol.

:-)

But seriously Dale thanks for the update / welcome news.  Of course, in the meantime we had good DX to chase and 10 meters was alive and kicking today.

k3Tim
  • Mike W9OJ
    Mike W9OJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    He broke one of the tablets. There were originally 15 commandments.
  • Dan Zimmerman
    Dan Zimmerman Member
    edited September 2016
    Good things come to those who wait....However having made that statement, I think I have had a couple of birthdays waiting at large intersection stop lights... :>)
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Dale.  I envy you.  (but not to to the point of needing repentance!  ha ha.)

Howard,
    When Moses came down the mountain he discovered that the crowds had lost faith, had become convinced that Moses had died on the mountain, coerced his brother Aaron into making a golden calf and claimed that "This is the God that delivered us from Eqypt,"  They had begun an orgiastic pagan celebration of sacrifice to the "god" of their own making,

I suppose in this case, perhaps we could consider that the "Let's-go-back-to-Egypt Committee" has grown impatient, convinced themselves that the next release will never happen, and have returned to knob radios or run to the internet and purchased ANON or ELAD rigs! 

The sad thing about giving up too soon is that often you miss a great play after you have departed!

(Sorry if this offends anyone.  I don't mean any offense.  Just having a little fun with the metaphors...)

Ken - NM9P
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017

Guys I can assure you I have no relationship to Moses. And I can assure you I was not talking to GOD on a Flex radio. but I was tickled that I was asked to take a look at the new release and see that we are getting a good release in the future. But if you all want me to go to the Highest mountain in my area and throw a Flex 6500 manual on all the icom,yaesu and kenwood lovers and see if it explodes like the ten commandments did, I am no Charlston Heston

but I will do my best.

• Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I do have I had a DREAM speech!
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Finally a Thread with a Sense of Humor
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I am, however, not quite sure how to apply the analogy of the orgiastic pagan celebration to ham radio....  perhaps the latest DXpedition?
  • Brent Parker
    Brent Parker Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017

Great thread!   Funny!

I'm going to Orlando's hamcation and very much looking forward to seeing the demo of 1.4. I get on the 14.239 net on Sundays, and watch Dudley's remote via Livestream, so have had a little peak ot 1.4 and some of the new buttons (Remote), but looking forward to actually seeing it.

Brent  W8XG (formerly NB4AP)

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @ Mike W9OJ

Actually, 613 were given to Moses on Mount Sinai.
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thank you Brent over my 46 years in a very pressure packed business I have always relied on humor to ease the tension. At one time I had some of my team members who were close to losing very good jobs, all because they were too focused on the negative. I had tried all the standard motivators even the big written warning. And none worked. I knew these were good bright employees but their focus was tunnel vision and was all negative. I walked in one day popped a vhs tape in and we watch two hours of I love Lucy, Sinefield, and a Rodney Dangerfield monologue. After we had a nice lunch I brought in and while eating I pointed out how much each of the shows related to our project, almost immediately the light hubs went off the negation disappeared and the ideas started flowing. Not only did we solve our issue but pitched in and helped another team with theirs. All because we laughed a little and looked at others bumbling arround in the sitcoms and in doing so I taught them that work without humor was just work but with a little humor could open the brain up to new ideas. The result was two of the three took positions equal to mine eventually, oh what happened to the third? I ended up working for him right before I retired! All three gave me credit for their success because they never were negative again.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I think this whole conversation has gotten hilariously funny. I think the most important part of 1.4 will be the bug fixes. As they haven't enumerated what bugs, reported or not, they've fixed, that will truly be Christmas morning for a 5 year old. Third party software can't fix a broken feature. However third party software can fix being tethered to your shack.  It's nice that it will be part of the control surface, RDP not required, but really, the analogy of Moses and God??????? Me thinks there is a lot of worship going on here. Which, btw, is evident when FRS misses a date. If there was video here I'd suspect there would be pitchforks and torches. Jim Baker, before and after Jessica.
  • MH_Flexer
    MH_Flexer Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    According to Mel Brooks there were more than ten commandments but when he stumbled and broke one of the stones he recovered his poise and restated the 10 commandments,,,,,  LOL HIHI
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Is the net still active because I have not been able to find it. Also what is the livestream address ?
  • Brent Parker
    Brent Parker Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yep. Today it's on 14.327 (usually on 14.329)

Livestream is at   www.livestream.com/wa5qpz
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I think Dale has seen "The Promised Land"... I just hope HE gets to go there!
    < grin > 

• Mike Whatley
    Mike Whatley Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    The original post sounds like Robert Young in an episode of "Father Knows Best" from the 1950s. Like some sort of Radio nanny. Who you are or why you were chosen. Is also irrelevant. As is your boasting about your dubious business acumen. Narcissism runs rampant!

Flex Radio has demonstrated they are not very sophisticated when it comes to communicating their intentions with their user base. Gerald -- letting a ham of no official standing share his alpha experience with the group only furthers the chaos surrounding your software upgrade.

The flex team may have fine engineers but they have poor marketing and communications. This is what you get when the company's message is run by engineers and techies. Confusion!

Cheers ,Mike/ wa4d
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Mike, I believe Dale was attempting to convey that the product is not vaporware and that Flex is well on their way to nailing down a stable and reliable release.

Remember marketing to hams is a difficult line, especially the current SDR market because on one hand your audience are early adopters. This audience requires a slightly different approach than marketing to an established corporate market.

Plenty of large companies leak rumors and offer sneak peeks at future products. So in this case I do not see this as a fault.

Lee
  • Mike Whatley
    Mike Whatley Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Lee the post was pompous and narcissitic. The cheerleading responses like your own aren't based on real information. But speculation and silly conjecture. Vapor ware.? Really? That's among the more ridiculous suggestions I've heard here. Flex radio has been around for a decade. They have product credibility. and "early adopters".???? More like elderly adopters! Oh the angst of 1.4 and the mob feeding! It's fun ! Cheers Mike. (Oh my favorite was Dale's counseling "those who are very upset"!!! What a hoot!). Is he a counselor as well as author of "how to succeed in Business" )
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Maybe I missed something but I'm not confused at all.  The product is highly technical and caters to a narrowly vertical market.  I don't think Madison Avenue would be of any help in promoting SSDR V 1.4.

I'm not sure what it takes to get official standing or why that would help promote the software at all - or why it would even need to be promoted because most of us know pretty much what to expect and have already bought the product.

I appreciate the sneak peak in whatever form it may present itself.
  • Mike Whatley
    Mike Whatley Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Walt. There is little funny about the thread. It's like junior high kids bragging about their new smart device and poor metaphor use including obsequious and slovenly rhetorical drooling by adult men over a minor software release. Ham radio is not a hobby to some here. Rather it is a lifestyle. And an identity. As such this stuff is important ! Irrational exuberance and fawning is common! Cheers, Mike wa4d
  • Mike Whatley
    Mike Whatley Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    It was not a sneak peek beyond "Hey I saw it and you didn't." Laughs. Which is an appropriate review for such a "highly technical" product! Your previous post as a Flex Fan boy who has no doubts about the glorious future of Flex was typical of the propaganda stream by those of you who Profess to "know pretty much what to expect" Thanks for the fun Steve!
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    No problem.  Thanks for the opportunity to amuse you.
  • Mike Whatley
    Mike Whatley Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Jay..... I burst out laughing. You clearly misunderstood. Ham radio is little more than a frivolus hobby of aging white men, a waste of time and money and occasionally fun. Hardly my "lifestyle". Yet you are correct. I hold in low regard, those who adopt Ham radio as a "lifestyle" I'm a more than satisfied Flex product owner. But loyalty? I could care less whether they succeed in the future. Dashing now Jay. Off to the gym to feed my ego and adore myself! (6"1 190lbs!) Cheers, mike wa4d (

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.