Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

off the subject but accurate time for computer time

Len
Len Member
edited January 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
was wondering if anybody could suggest a program to keep computer clock accurate for use with J65

Thanks

Len WA7ZXZ

Answers

• SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited February 2017
    Windows has built-in NTP which is usually accurate to within 1mS. You just need to enable it.
  • Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited March 2018
    for something a step above the NTP built in to Windows try this http://www.timesynctool.com/ it's what I'm using for WSPR and other timed modes.

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I use Dimension 4 and have used Meinberg. I prefer the former as it is more configurable but both work very well.
  • Len
    Len Member
    edited July 2015
    thanks everyone   and nice to hear from you again Guy  hope all is well

Len
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Dimension 4 works very well and is simple to setup

AL, K0VM
  • Stuart Woodcock
    edited March 2015
    Meinberg user here for JT modes, pretty much set and forget.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I thought this was a really good question. I used to use Dimension 4 back in the 80's and early 90's before Windows had an NTP function. I saw on the Thinking Mans (Dimension 4) site they didn't reference NTP, which I am familiar with, rather SNTP (simplified network time protocol, which I never heard of). In googling the difference I found the following (from the Meinberg site)

"While a full featured NTP server or -client reaches a very high level of accuracy and avoids abrupt timesteps as much as possible by using different mathematical and statistical methods and smooth clock speed adjustments, SNTP can only be recommended for simple applications, where the requirements for accuracy and reliability are not too demanding."

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    All's well Len, tnx fer asking.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I used to use Meinberg, but could not find an easy way to configure it or even tell if it was working. Dimension 4 ticks all the boxes in that regard. The former also sets up a user account, which contained approx 120Mb of stuff after two months' of use.
    SNTP is, I strongly suspect, more than adequate for ham use.
  • Paul_Mills
    Paul_Mills Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
  • Duane  N9DG
    Duane N9DG Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Yes, and it is too bad that they don't make it easier to configure. I have been holding Windows XP and later version OS machines to within 1 sec with just a few registry tweaks for years now.

Never actually tried to see just how close the built-in w32time NTP service in Windows could keep a machine's clock. Chances are there is no need for any 3rd party NTP programs at all for what we normally do as amateurs.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    While I've never done the protocol that audibly sounds like a choir or very ethereal music that is used for EME and other sub noise floor communications, I suspect that requires very accurate time, perhaps sub ms. Again, never used it. But that aside, I agree Dimension 4 (or what comes with Windows) is likely more than adequate for ham use. I just use the WIndows timer using under the tab internet time and select nime-a.nist.gov. NIST, for those unfamiliar with it is National Institute for Science and Technology and they actually have an atomic clock and sponsor WWV, WWVH. An interesting question though, for those with the GPS feature, can SSDR set the system clock? GPS require incredibly accurate clocks and they transmit the time to the gps receiver which uses the exact time from multiple birds to 'triangulate' it's (the receivers) location in spacetime.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @ Paul
    Looks like one has to d/l a separate program to configure Meinberg with a GUI. Thanks for the info.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    The NTP runs as a service.  There is a separate management console that only runs when you are curious about the hosts you are chiming off of and their stratum level.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.