Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Odd Rx behavior

Rod KQ6F
Rod KQ6F Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I recently acquired a 6400 and have been comparing its performance with other SDRs on hand.  One thing I've noticed is how it behaves with atmospheric noise.  My noise level is fairly typical but I hear almost no difference between when I'm connected to my antenna vs dummy load.   On 75M it's about S5 in both cases.  With other SDRs there is a big difference between antenna and dummy load.  I attribute this to Flex AGC and how it works which seems to bring up internal noise with dummy load.  But that doesn't explain why I hear no difference when going to the antenna.  I'm not employing the NR feature but it's almost as if there is one built into the DSP chain that runs all the time.

Don't misunderstand - I'm not complaining.  In fact I love it.  I just don't fully understand what's going on.

Rod

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Rod, did you buy your 6400 new? if not, how old is it? Is it possible a heat sink fell off the ADC chip? The very early 6400 radios had this problem that effected the noise floor a lot.

And are you really hear not difference or are you seeing no difference on the S meter?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.