Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Notebook or IPad for remote SmartSDR?

W5UN_Dave
W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
edited February 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I need to prepare for using SmartSDR remotely. Is a Notebook with Windows (or Mac Book), or an IPad the best route to go? With either I will need setup help.

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I'm a fan of LogMeIn Ignition on the iPad. Nice thing is that it works on a laptop, too. The K6TU control app for iPad works really well, too (within your LAN).

My main remote use is for JT65 and JT9, both modes lend themselves really well to a touch interface. Smart SDR is surprisingly useful via touch, too.

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Greetings from. Bali Indonesia - my 4th country on this trip (Japan, Thailand, Maylasia and Bali. I have worked W1AW centennial stations SSB from all 4 countries. Even did it from a cab mobile on my way to a dive site in Bali. (If you wish I can send you my writings on inexpensive Mobile data connections while travelling outside of the USA)

I travel extensively and have only carried an iPad for the past 3+ years. Much better battery life , much lighter and much easier to use than a laptop.

My current favorite remote App is "Parallels Access" which I prefer over Logmein ignition because it converts SSDR into an iPad native format. In iPad native format, it works like every other iPad app. I found that ignition kept too much of the PC format so controls were difficult to,use.

Receiving Audio is seamless you just connect DAX to thr "Access Speaker" Have not figured out how to connect the Access Microphone so I use Skype for now on the audio XMT time. DAX has VOX which makes XMT seemless.

Of course, digital modes and CW are much easier as you do not need to concern yourself with the Audio Chain from your remote.

I find good success over 3G and excellent results over 4G and WIFI. In fact, some hotel WIFI is slower than 3G so it actually works better on 3G or 4G

Hope this helps.
  • Reg
    Reg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

KY6LA:

That is really cool.  Let me be sure I understand this correctly.  Somewhere you are running Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac on a Mac computer at your hamshack.  You are remoting into your Mac computer from Indonesia using your iPad which is running Parallels Access for iPad.  Are there any more pieces to this puzzle or is that the whole picture?

Thanks.

Reg

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Running Parallels Access on 2 PC in shack. Primary And backup. Primaruy also controls Steppir and Rotor. Running parallels access on iPad. No using Mac at home.
  • Norbert Meyer
    Norbert Meyer Member
    edited June 2014
    Howard,

thanks for your hints for remote operation with F 6,7K .

I'd installed the Parallels Access App on my Ipad and also had downloaded the program on my PC (Win 7, 64 bit).
    It takes only a few minutes to work remote with the Ipad in PSK with the DM780 from HRD; great.
    Running my Expert 1k controlling it via the DDutil...no problem...also great.

Running cw with the F keys and with the "Send CW" window from N1MM , no problem.
    Of course I miss my cw keyer to connect it with the Ipad...??

I'd installed two Skype instances, one on the PC and the other one of the Ipad to listen to the radio signals...no problem...great!

My questions:

1. I can't connect in CW the Sidetone of the SmartSDR, which I need to control/listen to my own cw signals.

2. I'd tried to run SSB with the Skype instance from the Ipad. I miss the connection from my Skype instance of the Ipad to the DAX-input of Smart SDR. I can see the audio signal on the Skype Audio option when I'm talking with my Ipad...hi.

I feel that I only need the few steps to run remote in all modes.

Any suggestions for this both questions?

As you I'm always travelling around the globe, and to my spouse, which is living in a "remote area"...88 kms away from my home location and I want to use my Flex via remote from her location.

In the next few days I'm on the way to VK - Sydney - and later to Mackay join the DXpedition team toVK9MT,

Norbert
    www.DJ7JC.de

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    These pictures should helpimageimage
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    BTW still in ULUWATU Bali. But I was able to capture the screens on my home computer in La Jolla,CA via Parsllels a Access and upload them via my ipad. Not sure which sound device sidetone uses but if it's the computer speaker audio then should be easy to redirect.
  • Ron - K1RE
    Ron - K1RE Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I, too, am interested in using an iPad for remote into SSDR/6700.  Is there a recent explanation of the methodology with DAX and 1.1.13?  I am currently using Ignition to my station PC (Win 8.1) and, in digital, works well.  Just don't know how to get the audio working in both directions.

Thanks in advance,
    Ron, K1RE
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Did u see the screenshots I posted above? Parallels Access is Better than ignition.
  • Ron - K1RE
    Ron - K1RE Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hadn't seen them - I needed to expand "additional comments."  Will try to use them as a guide.

Thanks.
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    On your recommendation I have purchased an IPad Air and Parallels. I may need to get with you concerning setting up CW and monitoring CW sidetone

Thanks
    Dave, W5UN
    w5un@wt.net
  • Norbert Meyer
    Norbert Meyer Member
    edited June 2014
    Howard,
    DAX Audio running now also from SmartSDR to my Ipad. Thanks for the screenshot. But still looking for the audio channel to be able to listen to the CW Sidetone and to use the Ipad Mice for SSB...still a challenge.
    Norbert
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I will be back in USA next week until April 2 nd. Glad to help. Albeit I am not a fan of CW
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I set my SSB tuning step to 500Hz Which is usually close enough on SSB. So with practice mousing is not that critical. If I need a specific frequency I go to keyboard mode and just type it in.
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Skype works, but has some issues, such as stuttering and QSB. Are there any recommendations for VOIP that works better than Skype? I have Skype AGC turned off.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.