Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Noob Alert. Crash-n-burn(s) Likely.

My 6500 arrived today!

I'm a 100% complete Noob when it comes to SDR, except for what I've read on here for the past few weeks. 

What a great bunch!

I now have plugged it in.  So get ready.

Lee

Comments

• N2TU
    N2TU Company Adviser ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Welcome!

Lou N2TU
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Welcome to the group Lee.  In case you need it, here's a start up video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo5EXbmMgQE

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Lee,

You will love SDR!   Don't hesitate to ask here.  We'll try to help.  Just remember it is a complex radio/system so take your time, it will come!
  • Mike  W1BFA in Maine
    Mike W1BFA in Maine Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Just in case you didn't read the warning label, be aware this type of radio is extremely habit forming.  It's kinda like moving the radio experience into 3D!  lots of fun but sometimes you end up playing with the toys more than talking to folks.  Mike W1BFA

• Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Read the tutorial that automatically open at start up everyday for the for seeable futrure
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    The Radio Panel; clicking on the blue labels (TX, P/CW, PHNE, RX, EQ) will toggle them on/off, this helps determine which is which. Click on the arrow up to separate the "radio panel" from the panafall. Now there is a blank bar above each one, I hope someday they will contain the words; Transmit, Receive, Phone/CW, Phone, and Equalizer (if you click&drag on these blank bars you can shuffle them into any order you like).
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Welcome to SDR. It is a great place to be. I will never go back and we all will support you as you think you broke as we all have done many rimes when first starting out only to fine you either did or didn’t click the right place Mike NN9DD
  • Lee, N2LC
    Lee, N2LC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Thank you, gentlemen.

I have to say, out of all the forums/groups out there, this one is up near the top.  None of the negatives found most anywhere else, from Ford to Volvo to IC-xxxx.   I'm soaking up information like a waterlogged sponge.

So far the radio is fine, I think I'll go ahead and actually place it here somewhere besides on a pile of envelopes and sticky notes and unanswered qsl cards. 

I keep looking for a sound...  rarely hear it, never had it, until yesterday, and one click was all it took.  Even that preacher dude on 40 meters sounds good.

So far the only hurdle I haven't gotten past by reading is the dreaded port forwarding deal with Smartlink.  I broke my network this morning playing with it and spent 2 or 3 hours chasing that.   Most of the chatter about it is a year or more old, so I'll probably start a new thread on it.  I don't have to figure that one out till after Christmas and the Florida Trip.

Thanks again for the welcome and 73,

Lee
    N2LC

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Lee I am lucky, all I did was creat a Smart Link account and all done, never even considered touching the router, it just worked.

But their are some people on here that are really good at this, so maybe some of them will help. Mr Walker is one of them.
  • Lee, N2LC
    Lee, N2LC Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Excellent, thanks Bill.

Yeah, I got the Red Light.

I need to get busy and get a sketch of my network laid out, because it's a cobbled together hillbilly mess and I get my internet from a hotspot, and so the smart guys are going to have some specific questions that I need to get prepared to answer. 

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Just wondering,what would happen if you set your network to factory default?
  • Lee, N2LC
    Lee, N2LC Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    There would be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Lee, perhaps your best plan is to open a help desk ticket.  Flex is expert at solving Smartlink related issues. 

They will likely want to do a TeamViewer session with you but in a few minutes they can probably determine the issue and get you on a path to success.
  • Lee, N2LC
    Lee, N2LC Member
    edited November 2018
    Yeah, I will, and I'm pretty sure it's in this conglomeration I call a network that the problem lies. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.