Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Noise Ripples

ka7gzr
ka7gzr Member ✭✭

I have noise ripples that cross every band that I tune the Flex 6700 to. These are represented in the waterfall as swirls that go across at least half of the bandwidth that I am monitoring. They move from right to left in frequency. I can see them as amplitude wise as broadband noise that is just above the noise floor.

Any idea what this?

Comments

• Mickey N4MB
    Mickey N4MB Member
    edited December 2016
    Welcome to being able to see noise graphically! You're likely looking at one or more noise sources. You're going to need to troubleshoot the noise source.  Start by disconnecting the antenna to see if it goes away. If it does, there's a noise source nearby... maybe in your shack. Troubleshooting noise sources is beyond the scope of a message, but the ARRL noise page is a good place to start: http://www.arrl.org/radio-frequency-interference-rfi
  • Paul Christensen, W9AC
    Paul Christensen, W9AC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

Are you seeing the noise with the antenna(s) disconnected?  Please attach a screen capture.

Paul, W9AC

• AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017

http://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/Signal_Identification_Guide

Very interesting waterfall screen captures.They allow offers from users if you find anything interesting on your waterfall.

73 aa0km

• ka7gzr
    ka7gzr Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Here is what I am seeing...image
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hmmm... I used to see these "rolling humps" run through my panadapter all the time with my sdr-1000 and 1500.  I never knew what they were... I thought they had something to do with the radio or power supply or something.

Peter K1PGV
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

As previously stated, interesting what you see and probably can't hear as these are less that 1db above the noise level.

The "whistler" I mentioned above appears as a single, and louder, trace.  These are harmonically related to 50Khz and, if zoomed in, are probably modulated with 60hz harmonics.  That looks like a switching power supply or wall-wart.

Do you see at much lower frequencies?

Do you have a directional antenna (main or hand held) that will identify a direction or is it common mode that is reduced by ferrites at the 6000?

Stan

• Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    That is light compared to the issue I was having. Fortunately I was able to narrow the problem down to the LED lighting in the bathroom. 

http://youtu.be/rDCXPNwajro

It is always best when you find the issue in your control. If my neighbors get LED lights I will have a problem.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.