Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Noise on 20m.

Eddy
Eddy Member
Hi, What can be the origin of this type of noise on 20m.
This is a screenshot taken two hours after local sunset.
Left and right of the FT8 signals and up to S9 and seem to shift up an down the band.
Terrible if it gets on top of the FT8 signals.

Eddy ON5UQ.

Answers

• KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Has be The Russians ****
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I've seen similar from a variable speed motor drive in an HVAC air handler.
  • Ray Sylvester
    Ray Sylvester Member
    edited September 2019
    looks like a solar panel inverter
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Looks just like what I am getting in my shack. It's on more than 20 meters for me. I think it is coming from my router or modem. Need to shut down everything, put my SDRPlay on a laptop and chase it down.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019

Does this noise repeat itself every 50 to 100 kHz? If it does, it is more than likely from some type of electronic switching device.
  • Eddy
    Eddy Member
    edited September 2019
    Thanks for your reply.
    I get terrible noise from a solar panel installation in my neighbourhood but only during daylight hours.
    This noise disappears as soon as it is dark but the noise of the screenshot remains all night.
    Is it possbile that string inverters or optimisers on each solar panel cause this RF noise during night hours ?

Eddy ON5UQ.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.