Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Noise

I have started to have a 5-7 s noise figure on 80/40 meters and a 3 s on 20 meters "with" or "without" the antenna disconnected.  It appears to be noise and not interference.  Does anyone have any clues, hints, ideas, suggestions, etc.?  I have tried to call Flex on different days, but have only gotten the machine.  Thank you for any assistance.

Comments

• KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Get a 30 foot coax with connectors on each end—- Turn radio on and move Coax all around till you locate strongest Noise level -Might be a Wall Wart like cell phone charger Or drill charger cycling on and off Coax acts like magnet to locate noise —
  • Homer1952
    Homer1952 Member
    edited May 2020
    What was the noise S level before the problem arose?  My 6400 is always a ~S5 with no antenna connected.  It is how Flex decided to design the S meter which I have always hated.  There is a lot of discussion on this site about that.

Also, you should power the Flex with a 12VDC battery, completely shut down the house & remove the antenna to see if the noise is inside the home.  Good luck - Bob

• Joseph Rodick
    Joseph Rodick Member
    edited September 2019
    This has just started in the last month or so.  I am now unable to hear weak stations because of it.    I used to have a 1-2 s on 40 meters most of the time when the band was good. 
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    It sound me it’s something you caused your self maybe new wall wart /// Start first buy turning all house breakers off but radio breaker It could be your power supply going bad also Joe
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Why the always 5 S noise. Homer that crazy on Flex part
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Have you tried another radio in place. It seems you are thinking it is a Flex problem
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Good idea
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    What model of Flex?
  • Lasse Moell
    Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    If you have high noise with no antenna attached, it likely to be related to your radio. Now, the S-meter value is direct related to the filter BW, larger BW "more" noise. But you will also see higher noise if you have the preamp off or have attenuator activated. If your settings are just as they always been, but the readings are much higher, I suspect you do have an hardware issue. Also do not forget to check your PSU, especially if it is a switching type. And just to make it certain there is nothing picked up for around, use a 50 ohm dummy load right at the radio, or at least use known good coax to the load.
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

FYI...always best to let people know what flexradio model and version of software of the radio.

SO....not sure what radio you have,
    but
    there has been  a PEN issued for 6400/6600

The PEN addresses two issues

1.  The ADC heatsink which result in high noise level

2. The  Preamp enhancement for dynamic range

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/product-enhancements-pen

one symptom of ADC heat-sink issue...noise...

Paul K3SF

• Joseph Rodick
    Joseph Rodick Member
    edited September 2019
    It appears from reading the link that my A/D converter has got an issue and may need the heatsink or replacement of the PCB.  I have been trying on and off for days to talk to someone at Flex, but every time I call i get only the voice mail.  I will try again tomorrow.  Thank you for the link and the information.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Leave them a message - they have always called me back.

But if you actually think your radio (I think I missed what model you have BTW?) has a fault then jump start the process by opening a Help Ticket.  That is the process that will get you where you want to be.  That includes a PEN upgrade if your radio needs it.  

GL and 73

Steve
    K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    The best and quickest and maybe only way anymore to reach Flex with a radio issue is just email them or open a help ticket. I recently needed help with a DAX issue and within 2 hours or less after doing just that Tim was in contact with me. In less than 4 hours the same day Tim fixed my problem and all is well. Just incredible support from the Flex team.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.