noise burst on transmit

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered

RE: original post:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/noise_burst_at_beginning_of_transmission

I do not believe this was fixed in the last release or two.   It appears that the tx audio buffer is filling while in receive, and a few hundred milliseconds of that buffer is being sent at the initial time of transmission. It appears that the tx audio buffer needs to be gated and/or delayed a few hundred milliseconds once PTT is activated.

For example, if I am listening to a QSO with the speakers, and they are obviously loud enough to open the audio gating of my tx audio chain, when I first key up, stations are reporting a noise burst at the beginning of my transmission. Using a headset is NOT a solution..........

Eric

K2CB

Photo of K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 274 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9302 Posts
  • 3605 Reply Likes
Eric - I have added your report to our bug tracker so we can investigate this further.  Thanks for the report.

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 274 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
Has this been properly addressed in version 1.4?

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 274 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
Will this be corrected in V1.4?

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 274 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
?????
Photo of Lee

Lee

• 84 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes

Maybe re-read Tim's post??

Lee

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 274 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
I did read his post. That was all I heard. I've heard nothing further on the matter. Here or on the trouble ticket that I submitted months ago. I was hoping for an updated answer from flex regarding this issue.
Photo of np2g

np2g

• 271 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
YEP the transmit buffer fills up . As a interim you may want to use a downward ex pander or level clipping.

You also could use your head set instead of the speakers

I usually must adjust -36db threshold to defeat this effect.

Until its addressed .

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 274 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
Has this issue been corrected in the upcoming 1.4 release?
Photo of Ed.G

Ed.G, Software Engineer

• 103 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Official Response
Yes, I believe we fixed this issue in 1.4.

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 274 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
Thank you for the reply, Ed.
Photo of Ben Morris

Ben Morris

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I am having this issue in a new radio I received yesterday. I'm also running 1.4.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9294 Posts
  • 3605 Reply Likes
Do you have the DEXP enabled and configured?

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 274 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes

The downward expander should be irrelevant. A downward expander, or some sort of external processor with limiting or gating, is only masking the real problem. The radio should be gating the tx audio path until which time PTT is asserted, with some sort of buffer delay calculated in to compensate for the tx audio path's A/D delay.  I have not had a chance yet, but I hope to install V1.4 this evening and test this. I sure hope it has fixed the issue, as the release notes indicate.

Photo of Ed.G

Ed.G, Software Engineer

• 103 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
There are two issues here, one as K2CB mentions is the TX gating which we included in v1.4. If this is still a problem then we can re-open the issue to look at it.

The other, as Tim mentions, is the DEXP. If noise on keying is over the DEXP threshold it will open the DEXP temporarily and let through background noise until the decay time is over. This can look like a burst of noise but is different than the TX audio path gating. 
Photo of Ben Morris

Ben Morris

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Ed, you are correct on your assumption. It must be radio fan noise I am picking up. If I disable DEX, the noise is there but doesn't appear as a burst. I can get rid of it all the way by turning DEX all the up. However, the mic becomes more critical on direction it is spoken into. I am using a Heil Goldline GM5.
Photo of Howard Koenig

Howard Koenig

• 24 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I am also experiencing this burst.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9302 Posts
  • 3605 Reply Likes
We have several issues in our bug tracker related to this particular issue to investigate further.  Thanks for the report.

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 274 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes

Completely deleted prior versions of SDSR. Reset radio defaults twice, once before loading 1.4, once after. 

The noise burst issue still exists in V1.4

Eric

K2CB

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 274 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
Any chance of this finally being corrected in version 1.5?

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 274 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
Was this fixed in the V1 .5 release?

Unless I missed it, I did not see anything in the release notes.

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 274 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes

Will this FINALLY be fixed in V1.6?

Photo of Cal Spreitzer

Cal Spreitzer

• 451 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
It does not appear this issue has been fixed.  I'm using V1.6.21.159 and the burst is still seen and heard when using the stock Flex FHM-1 front panel mic in SSB mode.

N3CAL

Photo of Doug K0DV

Doug K0DV

• 155 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
I have this problem with a new Maestro using 2.1.9 version software... noise burst on transmit.  Dudley has had me increase the TX delay, and that help just a little.  But the TX delay coupled with the remote internet delay is killing me.  Because of the timing delay, working DX in a pile up is more than difficult.  I have filled out a ticket but have not heard anything in several weeks. The noise is heard using the stock Flex mic FMH-1.  The noise is worse when I feed a USB mic into the line-in input on the back of the Maestro.

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 274 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
Will this ever be addressed?
Photo of David Holmgren

David Holmgren

• 46 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
I transmit noise when I key the mike with my new 6400.  I'm running the latest version of Smart SDR.  Looks like from the previous posts this has been an on going problem for years.  Is there any fix or ideas to try.  David K9RUF 
Photo of Lee

Lee

• 84 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
How did you discover this??
No one I have talked to on my 6300, 6500 or now 6400 has ever complained I have noide when I key the Mic.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4241 Posts
  • 1355 Reply Likes
If you are using a standard Mic input, this can be greatly reduced with proper adjustment of the DEXP (Downward Expander)   It will prevent random noise being fed into the audio chain while in RX mode that is dumped into the transmit buffer when you first key the mic. 

If you are using audio from your PC on remote, it is more difficult, because DEXP doesn't function in PC Audio mode.

Ken - NM9P

Photo of Lee

Lee

• 84 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
What?? Why would RX mode noise ever get put in the TX buffer.
That's a bug for sure.

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 274 Posts
  • 107 Reply Likes

Seriously folks, this is a design flaw that needs to be corrected.

It was first reported over three years ago already.   Any suggestion to use a noise gate, lower the mic gain, or place speakers further away, is not the correct fix.

The tx audio path (and/or following buffer) should be gated prior to assertion of ptt. Just like any other ham radio transceiver. The other brand SDR radios do not suffer from this condition.

How about an official answer from Flex - will it EVER be corrected in software, or is it a hardware design issue? 

If it is indeed a hardware issue, that which carried over to the 6400/6600 series, then shame on Flex!

If we had some sort of schematic, we might be able to answer the question ourselves...........

Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4241 Posts
  • 1355 Reply Likes
It isn’t RX noise, it is mic noise gathered while receiving. The slight latency between tx and RX gives just enough time for a slight noise burst in some cases. But, as I said, DEXP helps a lot. Also, being careful with mic gain settings helps..

It also got better when they implemented the changes in RX filter latency.
Photo of Lee

Lee

• 84 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
We DON'T want a work around we want it FIXED.....
Photo of David Holmgren

David Holmgren

• 46 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
The DEXP is kind of nice.  You know sometime with some hams you hear a dull roar of background noise when the ham stop speaking the their mic is still keyed?  The DEXP takes care of that.  I tend to agree with you too that something as basic as this should be fixed. 
(Edited)
Photo of David Holmgren

David Holmgren

• 46 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
...Well I’m in my 30 day trial so this may make me sent it back. Can’t believe this has been going on this long with no resolution. When I first experienced it I kept wonder what I did with this new radio not being familiar with it. I was even thinking this was something wrong with just my radio. Everything else is great with the radio but transmitting is as important as a great SDR receiver otherwise it will end up being on my desk as an SDR receiver while I use another radio that works reliably.

Get Outlook for iOS
Photo of David Holmgren

David Holmgren

• 46 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
OK got home and tried the DEXP and it's basically an audio gate that will turn off or gate the audio going into the radio.  I found the sensitivity and delay slider.  It seems to work pretty good but make me sound like I'm using VOX, cutting off the first part of my speech.  Not a big fan of that...
My problem with audio can't be helped with DEXP.  I think my radio may be defective if you watch the short video clip of what I'm experiencing.  The audio you hear of me is coming through the speaker of my KX-3.
If there's a fix for what the radio is doing on this clip please let me know.  David K9RUF
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fgm7kqxjhh11mjl/IMG_4380.MOV?dl=0
(Edited)
Photo of David Holmgren

David Holmgren

• 46 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Well here's an update to the above post.  First off the DEXP is more than a gate.  It appears to reduce mic gain and at the same time the sensitivity as to when your voice is heard.  Interesting.  Now as far as the noise goes the last time I experienced something strange with the Flex I unplugged the power in the back from the Anderson Power Pole vs. just cycling power from the front power switch.  After doing that this morning the noise problem seems to be gone.  So far so go.  I'll put the radio through its paces today see if it behaves.  David K9RUF
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4241 Posts
  • 1355 Reply Likes
DEXP is like a soft gate, not a hard switch. Adjusting it is like adjusting AGC-T., only backwards... using headphones and MON, key the mic with no audio. The slowly turn it from left to right until the background noise quits. If you want, go a little further if your local shack noise varies. But don’t go too far, or you will get a more abrupt gating effect.

RE: the power-off reset.... yes, this is often the first recommendation when things are acting strangely. Occasionally a power glitch, windows update, or DPC’s can foul things, requiring a reset. I always reboot both computer and rig after a firmware update, or before a major operating event like a contest or DX hunt....

Good luck. Glad things are working better. It is a great little rig!
(Edited)
Photo of David Holmgren

David Holmgren

• 46 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Well darn it the noise burst came back :(  Opened a support ticket...
Photo of Lee

Lee

• 84 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
ALL of us should open a support ticket right away!
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 4251 Posts
  • 1020 Reply Likes
Is the noise burst transmitting were people mention it on air. I don't think I have ever seen that here.

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 274 Posts
  • 107 Reply Likes
What?

Yes, people are hearing it on the air. That is the whole issue. The operator sitting behind the mic doesn't even know there's an issue unless the receiving party mentions it.

Most appliance operators will not even notice it. But skilled listeners will mention it every time.

Quite embarrassing for a $4300 6500, no less a $7500 6700.
(Edited)
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 4251 Posts
  • 1020 Reply Likes
I see, I talk to people who are very critical about audio mostly because that is what we do when we get together on air. I will ask them to listen to me today and see what they hear.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 4251 Posts
  • 1020 Reply Likes
I was just talking to Dave W2OX. I did not hear anything on him and he said I was clean as well. But there is a problem that still can be corrected buy Flex. For the most part people are not having this problem, at least with the Flex radios I have talked to.

In my case I use a headset so this problem never happens. And it is clear that this problem can be corrected with with better operation of the radio. Such as turning speakers very low, use DEXP, close talk mics. Use headsets.
Photo of Doug K0DV

Doug K0DV

• 155 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
I submitted a ticket about this same issue when operating my Maestro remotely.  Dudley had me add TX latency, but no amount of latency corrected the problem. We had a QSO on 20 meters so he could hear the noise himself. Just received an email from the new Dudley, Mr. Neal Campbell... they are on the case.
Photo of Lee

Lee

• 84 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Thanks for the update...Is Dudley gone from Flex??
I really like him!
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1685 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes
I like Dudley too, but having a spare Dudley, I like even better. Dudley might like it too.

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

Photo of Doug K0DV

Doug K0DV

• 155 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Dudley is retiring at the end of the month. His conscientious work will be missed.

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 274 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
Correction - it's been four years since this was initially reported and acknowledged.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexr...
Photo of David Holmgren

David Holmgren

• 46 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Eric,

Just so we are talking about the same noise.  You said: "The operator sitting behind the mic doesn't even know there's an issue unless the receiving party mentions it."
If you watch my video you will see on the screen the broadband noise on your screen or at least I do on the 6400M.  It's constant and replaces the mic audio.  The receiving party will hear nothing but white noise.  Is this the problem that you have been experiencing for 4 years or is it different? David K9RUF.

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 274 Posts
  • 107 Reply Likes
You appear to be experiencing a different issue.

This thread concerns the TX audio buffer as described in the original posting.
Photo of David Holmgren

David Holmgren

• 46 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Well still good news so I am cautiously optimistic.  The noise burst has not occurred since yesterday morning.  Putting the radio through its paces and it's holding up.