Noise

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
For the past week I have been getting sporadic noise on 17 and 20 meters (20 The worst).  It lasts anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or more. It is consistent at about s7.

If I happen to receive a signal stronger than S7 I can hear it.

It doesn't vary - it is flat across the spectrum.  I can see spikes that I am sure are signals if they could override the noise.

Just now, while typing this post the noise went away and  the noise level on 20 is about s4 For a certainty it will come back.

We have underground utilities in my community.
I am running a flex 6500 barefoot into a hex beam.

I will appreciate any advice or solution.
Photo of Gene - K3GC

Gene - K3GC

• 224 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of WH6HI - Pat

WH6HI - Pat

• 284 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Most likely the Solar Flares this past week....
Photo of Gene - K3GC

Gene - K3GC

• 224 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Would that account for it lasting from a few minutes to an hour or more?
Photo of Mark WS7M

Mark WS7M

• 405 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
If you can catch a screenshot that is always helpful.

I currently have this beast on 40m and other places.  It is some neighbor with some new toy:

Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2910 Posts
  • 632 Reply Likes
Does the WNB work on that noise?
Photo of Gene - K3GC

Gene - K3GC

• 224 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Doesn't touch it.
Photo of WH6HI - Pat

WH6HI - Pat

• 284 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Does this noise repeat every 200 KHz or so.  If it does it may be someones switching PS.  In my case I have something similar and located it and it is a LED street light that the Switching PS is radiating the noise. 
Photo of Gene - K3GC

Gene - K3GC

• 224 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
It's steady across the band
Photo of Gene - K3GC

Gene - K3GC

• 224 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
screen shot with S7 noise across the 20m band

Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2907 Posts
  • 630 Reply Likes
I am surprised there is no setting with the WNB that does not help..It looks like electrical noise...
Photo of Roy - W5TKZ

Roy - W5TKZ

• 123 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Gene,
Have you tried to find the beam heading for strongest signal with your beam? Maybe one of your neighbors has an air conditioner or other appliance that is acting up. In any case, tracking noise is a step by step process that only you working with your equipment can do. Those of us on the outside can only suggest where you might look.

Good luck

Roy - W5TKZ 
Photo of Stan - VA7NF

Stan - VA7NF

• 417 Posts
  • 95 Reply Likes
Just finished Phase 1 of reducing noise at a friend's shack which matched your description.
It was S9+5 flat, no spikes, from 160 to above 80 (didn't need to go any higher).
Turned out to be 2-4 bulb LED fixtures in the living room.  Went down to S5 when turned off.

Standard hunting - Start with the radio on battery and shut down the whole house power by the master switch and if that drops the noise turn on one circuit at a time. 

I normally use a short wave battery radio (Grundig satteliit 750) with an external BNC antenna connection, with a sniffer antenna (10 turn tight loop on a short coax).  

Happy hunting.
Photo of WQ2H - Jim Poulette

WQ2H - Jim Poulette

• 98 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
I agree - don't underestimate the interference potential of LED bulbs or appliances in your QTH. Also, I know here we have a utility transformer up on a pole about 200 yards away that makes noise when heavily loaded. It's usually OK, but temperatures here in New England have been in the 90s - so it's screaming this week.

My set-up is the old HT on 130mHz using a small Yagi - doesn't work so well inside the house, but you'll usually find what you're looking for right through the walls. You'd be surprised what you'll find walking your average distribution line.

Good luck
Jim, WQ2H
Photo of Stan - VA7NF

Stan - VA7NF

• 417 Posts
  • 95 Reply Likes
Jim,
The power companies are normally very responsive on noise complaints, it is good business to fix a noise problem before the transformer explodes.  Also power line noise represents lost power, thus reduced profits.
Photo of Rick  WN2C

Rick WN2C

• 272 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Why do you need +16 db of pre-amp on 40 meters? It appears to me that in the pass band there is no signal and only an s3 noise level.