Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

No sound remote audio after conversion from 8.1 to win 10

DV
DV Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Just converted a one year old Windows 8.1 Asus laptop to Windows 10.  Conversion went very well, accept now I do not get any sound from the SmartSDR when I click the Remote button. This worked fine in win 8.1. I have the latest SmartSDR software version. I did use this laptop for LAN (and WAN) remoting but now I'm not sure what to do. Anyone have a similar problem with a solution? 

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015

Yep, I did. Uninstalled SmartSDR EVERYWHERE. Reinstalled and everything worked perfectly. This happened only on one of my three computers. It was a Dell 8700. I have two Dell 8500's and no problem at all that I can detect with those two. Have no idea what the difference is.  

Jim, K6QE

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I had trouble with DaX and Cat.....

I know you know this but......  Check the sound panel and verify the proper default device is selected.  Does device test work?  
    On DaX panel, is the DaX enabled for Rcv (Xmt)? Does Audio show up in DaX?  At first my DaX channels were grayed out as in not-available.  A reinstall from the Flex installation area of DaX using admin rights cured that.
    For Remote, the default device should appear when mouse hovers over the menu item. 

Hope you get it fixed up.  It took me an hour or so to figure it out and I was a bit apprehensive about having done the upgrade.  Now that it's all working, I am glad I made the leap.

GL,
    Tim

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    " I am glad I made the leap."
    Hey Tim, if you don't mind me asking, why? Is there something about Win10 that you needed?

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Ditto

I keep on looking at W10 and so far I have not seen any compelling reason to downgrade my working systems from good old reliable W7 to buggy W10?

So I too would like to understand if there is any benefit whatsoever to downgrading to W10?
  • Keith Faulkner
    edited August 2015
    I had the same problem with no remote audio after Windows 10 upgrade on 2 PCs. One of these was a 9 month old, $1500 Microsoft Surface Pro 3 tablet. Completely removing any trace of smartSDR and all its drivers fixed them both and working fine ever since. This link https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204975589-How-to-do-a-Complete-uninstall-of-SmartSDR-for-Windows-from-your-PC explains how to remove EVERYTHING for a fresh start. Just removing the program and re-installing is not sufficient.

Cheers ... Keith G4EQZ
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    re: "Downgrading to Windows 10", I had a Flex 5000 and PoweSDR where it had features that have yet to materialize in SmartSDR and I "downgraded" to a 6300. **** Kettle black.
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    When I first switch the laptop to Win 10, my remote also did not work.. My problem was that the default sound device had become muted during the upgrade process.  Got the default device working properly and then SSDR remote worked also.

AL, K0VM
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015

Having used Windows 10 for a while, it is nothing more than a buggy Windows 7 with a lot of extra worthless **** added. Also I have to do things differently on 10 than 7 to do the things that were very easy on 7. What's the point, Microsoft?

Jim, K6QE

• DV
    DV Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    I have to take the side of Windows 10. It's really much better than win 8.1 and win 7. Although, I still need to fix the no audio on remote issue, described above, I have noticed on my 2014 Asus I-7  laptop that the OS is considerably faster.  The upgrade went well.  (I didn't have to load any new drivers and all my non Microsoft programs and data were still there and working well.)  Once you upgrade, you have 30 days to do downgrade back to win 8.1 or 7. There are several videos on YouTube showing you the new features.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    okay....  Well if going to W10 from W7 is considered a downgrade, there is no point in the user so doing.

My experience - W10 upgrade went smoothly and only 1 minor problem. Previous MS OS releases did more "damage" to the existing PC environment, ie. users had to be re-added to the system and the desktop environment redone from scratch. Also existing apps had to be reinstalled.  With W10 (and W12 moving forward) the upgrade in OS will be less destructive.  
    There are some nice added features, for me it's the task bar menu going across all (two) monitors. The start menu looks better and is easier to read IMO.

Buggy?  So far I haven't experienced any bugs.  The Flex Control does seem to have the occasional start up problem, but I've only seen this once. The 'puter and radio are left on 24/7. In other thread FRS is aggressively looking at this.  To me it's a minor annoyance.

We can assume the OS architecture is a bit more bullet proof from malware / virus. Granted, the new biz model of advertising / data collection is counter to this concept.  As pointed out on other threads here, one can change the privacy settings. (thanks to those who gave the excellent help/advise!)  There are some extra "apps" placed on the system that may or may not be useful. Xbox for example among other will be removed - not interested.  There is a site tracker / marketing app (name starts with a W) that was really obnoxious and attached to Chrome browser making internet surfing tedious at best.  That was removed (forgot the name of it already, thank Heaven!). Speaking of the new biz model MS seems to be heading in the direction of Android / Google using targeted ads to help the cost of development.

So far, several W10 updates have been automatically applied and plenty of warning about the reboot given.  No harm done.

[bonus section]  I realize some will object to leaving a 'puter and SDR running 24/7 as a waste of energy.  The flip side is my bro', who worked for a time as a FE, said the places he did repair work was where the CNC equipment was power cycled.  Discussions with mfg. Engineers at work (we run several "small' SMT lines') and they said with the new lead-less solder there is more mechanical stress placed on PCB / component connections when thermal cycling.  Take it for what it's worth.  If one really wants to save energy go Vegan or as close as you can.

Bye,
    k3Tim

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Other than the task bar menu, any compelling features?

BTW. I always leave all computers running 24/7 plus the 6700
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

There are no "compelling features".  I run win 7 for SmartSDR, supporting
    programs, logger, digital modes and everything else. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    On the other hand, I got a surface pro 3 about a year ago for portable use.
    It came with Win 8 or 8.1.  I considered it an experiment and intended to use
    it when SSDR version 2.0 was released.  I've been in the MS insider program
    and adopted windows 10 for that machine.  It seems to work fine.  I would
    leave windows 7 machines unscathed, but go to 10 from 8.1, if that is not your
    good-working, primary machine. Win 10 boots quickly and runs smoothly, but
    at almost every turn it wants to be invasive. Eventually, without due diligence,
    you'll be running on their "cloud".  (I love the marketing.  What if it were called
    the "pit"?)  Be careful if you install it, it has serious issues for real-time
    applications. It will grab your machine to help you with an "improved user
    experience".  It appears that you can disable their helpful functions at
    installation, but you may become vulnerable in future "upgrades".   It
    may be "free", but it might not be without cost.

Ned,  K1NJ

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Compelling ?  Yes, 'we' are comfortable on the cutting edge as evidenced in our selection of SDR.  Why not the 'puter to go with it.

There was no 'compelling' reason to drop spark over CW back in the day but eventually the nanny state said so.  Some hams actually dropped out of the hobby due to that.  Reading some old articles back from that era show parallels today wrt peoples thought process.  Luckily the choice is still up to the in-duh- vidual.

Best,
    Tim

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    "We can assume the os architecture is a bit more bulletproof..." I wouldn't make that assumption at all, if for no other reason than its a dot zero release of a Microsoft product. Rather than trying to paraphrase or quote Peter, lets ask him. Peter, if you would, what exactly does win10 bring to the user?
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Agree - Peter's opinion is valued (he is sharp guy and has my respect / attention to all his posts (for whatever that's worth!).
  • DV
    DV Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Just completed a reinstall of SmartSDR.  Completely uninstalled FlexVSP, DAX and SmartSDR as per Tim's instructions.  When through the registry and removed all SmartSDR references. No joy in Mudville today!  Still no audio when remote is enabled. Anyone know whether DAX has to be installed properly to get remote audio?  I do get a DAX error when SmartSDR starts and DAX 1 shows "driver error".  However, I didn't think that DAX had anything to do with SmartSDR's remote audio function.  ???
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    DAX is not required for remote audio.with SSDR 1.4.16

The DAX error and lack of remote audio could, however, be the result of a shared system problem..

If you test your default audio device independently of SSDR, does it work?

AL, K0VM
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Remote audio only interacts with your PC sound card.  Update those drivers.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015

Doesn't it interact with other sound devices, like a Bluetooth speaker, for example, depending on the default audio device selected?

Jim

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Yes, the default sound devices.  And a bluetooth sound device is for all practical purposes is a PC sound card (device).
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    If the sound card otherwise works is the fault with Flex?
  • DV
    DV Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Okay, apparently the problem of no remote sound on Win 10 upgrade stemmed from the sound card driver, as Tim pointed out.  When I went to the sound driver and checked for an update it said I was using the latest one, dated June 2015, however when I went to the ASUS web site and chatted with tech support they gave me a link to the very latest driver, downloaded that and had my remote sound back.  Strange though, mic built into the laptop showed audio coming into it, but that did not work for TX.  Had to use a USB mic and all was well.  It's okay anyway, because the USB mic clips on and is a "real" microphone. Thanks for the tip Tim.
  • wn
    wn Member
    edited October 2015
    My win book 700 running windows 8.1 doesn't have audio in it on remote. I have control of the  6300 OK, but just no audio

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.