Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

No signal on HDMI socket

Hi all,
I have had my 6400M for 3 days now. The unit works as it should until I try to hook up a 49 inch Sony TV to use as an external screen. The TV shows no signal and in the graphics settings on the radio - no external monitor is detected. I have taken to trying a second monitor - a 40 inch Samsung 4K TV, with a different Hdmi cable and get the same result. It appears as if the Flex unit cannot see any external monitor when its plugged in. 
Looking at some previous postings it appears this issue may have effected other units. Will my radio need to be returned?

Comments

• AE2A
    AE2A Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Ian,
    The HDMI port only works when you are using the local front panel on the radio.
    If you are using SmartSDR to run the radio on a local or remote PC, the HDMI port is disabled.
    If you are running in the "local" mode you should see a mirror image of the front panel screen.
    Enabling the HDMI video when connected remotely might be a nice feature for Flex to look at implementing in a future release!
    Mitch Baum - AE2A
  • Ian Tickle
    Ian Tickle Member
    edited September 2018
    Hi Mitch,

I'm getting no output from the HDMI port when running the radio from the front panel - i'm not using SmartSDR on my PC. Incidentally I have tried a third monitor - an Acer 23inch PC monitor capable of displaying 1900 x 1200, and still no signal. The advanced graphics menu still doesn't see this external monitor either. I'm beginning to think my radio is faulty.

Ian
    G4ZJH
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I would just open a help ticket and not wast time with it.
    If there is anything not working correctly ussually a factory reset will set things right.
  • Ian Tickle
    Ian Tickle Member
    edited September 2018
    Thanks to Tim's help I will be returning the radio to Waters & Stanton under warranty to carry out repairs. Hopefully the HDMI internal cable can be sorted and the unit returned to me quickly.

Ian
    G4ZJH
  • AE2A
    AE2A Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Ian,
    That's a good thing. Most likely there is a header cable that has become dislodged or disconnected. But rather than you opening the case up to fix it, it's better if factory service completes the repairs. If it's something more complex, then it's all covered under warranty.
    Tim has been excellent in his help to expedite the repairs! When you get it back and working, its a wonderful experience!
    73 de AE2A (Mitch)
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I presume your talking about Tim at Flex... By the way,,, even when you are in remote operation, the HDMI output to the TV set is active,, I know this as I am seeing this right now... I assume you already when into the Advanced Menu settings of Monitor, opened up the APP that controls all aspects of the external monitor.. 

Robert
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Good that you have been looked after Ian,,It won't be long.
  • Ian Tickle
    Ian Tickle Member
    edited September 2018
    After 2 weeks away for repair (Waters and Stanton sent it on to Germany to be fixed) I received my 6400M on Monday. After being away working, I finally got home tonight, unpacked the radio and hooked it back up....to find still no output on my HDMI port. I have used 2 different leads, a Sony HD TV, a Samsung 4K set, and an Acer HDMI computer monitor - all refuse to display a signal. I went into the advance graphics menu again, changed screen resolution in case this was the issue - still no output. The menu still does not detect an external monitor when plugged in. One of the reasons for getting this radio was so I could display onto a larger HDMI monitor. 

Where do I go now?

Ian G4ZJH.
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Just out of curiosity have you been using the same cable on all 3 monitors?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Contact Flex again and tell them it's still not working, It must have worked back at the shop.
  • Ian Tickle
    Ian Tickle Member
    edited September 2018
    I have used two different cables on three different monitors and still no image. All these cables and monitors work fine when connected to other pc’s and other devices supplying an HDMI signal.
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I presume you have gone in to the menu options and have set the HDMI output to the correct parameters??? 
  • Ian Tickle
    Ian Tickle Member
    edited October 2018
    Could you explain what you mean? I have altered the resolution settings under advanced display settings with no success. On the drop-down menu for monitors, only the internal monitor is available - the unit is simply not seeing an external monitor connected to the radio.

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Ok this is a stretch because I do not have an M series radio but I use HDMI a lot for computers at work and home.

*Some* hdmi circuits seem to sense if they have a connection and if not they power down.  We'd had this issue with computers at work.   People try to plug in an HDMI monitor long after the PC has been booted and they get nothing.   They leave the cable in, monitor turned on and restart the PC and video appears.

Again I have no idea if it could be something like this but I would suggest connecting a cable, turn on your monitor, make sure it is in hdmi mode, then boot the radio.

• Ian Tickle
    Ian Tickle Member
    edited September 2018
    Just tried another HDMI cable - this one with a good quality HDMI 2.0 spec. Still no monitor or TV detected. I will contact my UK stockist Monday, to see what repairs were done, and tests carried out when they had it.

Ian.
  • Ian Tickle
    Ian Tickle Member
    edited September 2018
    I'm afraid to say I have already tried this, both 2 different cables and monitors - still no image appears.
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

Ian –

I wouldn’t be happy either, but it may well be that the problem is an intermittent internal connection.  Given your patience and all the testing you’ve done, and the return to you of a radio that you still can’t connect to an external monitor (and that is a big reason why I also selected the M model!), you might consider using the 30 day “satisfaction or money back” guarantee if all else fails.  Assuming you’re still within the 30 day return window and it applies to overseas sales.  I’d contact Flex again to discuss all your  options ASAP.

Howard

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Ok if the drop down menu is not seeing your monitor I think Flex would be next in line to answer!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.