Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

no rf power or swr on meter

Salty Z
Salty Z Member ✭✭
flex 6300 using WJST-X; receive ok;signals on waterfall on both SSDR and WSJT; set up with dax as recommended; green button for cat; red for ptt; see a single line across the spectrum with transmit but no indication of anything on rf or swr meter; atu say sucess for tuning; not seeing a transmit signal on psk reporter; version 2.0.117 ssdr

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    Dyou have wsjtx set up for that dax audio on tx
  • KC7ES
    KC7ES Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Make sure radio is set to DUSB mode
  • Salty Z
    Salty Z Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    yes using dax for both audio tx and rx
    where do I set for DUSB mode?
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Stop and restart DAX
  • KC7ES
    KC7ES Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    On the panadapter, click USB under your S meter then choose DIGU.
  • Salty Z
    Salty Z Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    yes thanks did that before
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    This too. 

Also if you're using TCP for CAT, sometimes it loses connection between WSJT-X and the radio. You need to restart WSJT-X in that case.
  • Salty Z
    Salty Z Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    thanks is there any to see if this connection is actually lost?
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    If you change bands on wsjtx and it doesn't change on the radio then connection is lost. This is a problem with hamlib most likely. 
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Just to make sure your audio is getting from WSJT-X to the rig...

In your transmit panel, next to the mic level controls, etc. do you have the DAX Button turned ON?
    In the Transmit panel, are you seeing any deflection on the TX Audio level meter?
    In the DAX Control Panel, are you seeing any deflection of the meter in DAX TX Audio?

You might need to check the appropriate sliders for those inputs....

Ken - NM9P

• Salty Z
    Salty Z Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    dax button on; no deflection on tx audio meter or the dax control panel
    tried keying with mike and no change
    test cat and ptt green and red in WJST-X
    did see 5 contacts in pskrept but no deflection on any meter and no qso in wsjt-x
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Another thing to check - Transmit bandwidth setting. I’ve occasionally seen it where the audio passband gets so restricted, almost nithing passes.
  • Salty Z
    Salty Z Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

it is strange I did see that about 5 monitors heard my signal but it is not consistent; power is up to 50%; still no qso's

I assume that the tx bandwidth refers to the filter which is at 3k

when I enable tx in wsjt-x I see a elevation of the spectrum signal but still absolutely nothing on the meters

tried the mic and see that a signals shows on the level meter and on the spectrum but nothing on the rf or swr meters

thanks to all for your suggestions

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    check the transmit low-cut and high-cut filter settings on the Transmit control panel. I use low-cut =0 and high-cut=3000. Also check the power output slider on the right hand side of the WSJT-Xscreen. In your WSJT-x File>settings>audio panel, what two audio devices have you selected for receive and transmit audio?
  • Salty Z
    Salty Z Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017

not currently at pc but power slider in WSJT-X is at max setting

audio is dax rx1 in and dax tx out

on dax control panel both lights are blue and say streaming; rx shows a signal but never saw a signal on tx

will check the filter setting later at home

thanks

• Salty Z
    Salty Z Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Set transmit filter as suggested; had a few contacts on 20m but nothing on the dax control panel meter for tx; now for the last 2 hours nothing more showing on psk reporter
  • Salty Z
    Salty Z Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I am now thinking that there is a problem with the transmit section of the 6300. I can see up to 10 contacts when first starting WJST-X in psk reporter but then after this first transmission I cannot transmit anything even upping the rf power as high as 80. No signal indication on the rf power, swr or the  dax tx again with the gain  at max and the power slider in WJST-X at max as well. These meters have NEVER shown a signal.
    Agree that is time to open a ticket?
    Greg
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    If you can transmit on other modes I think you have come to the wrong conclusion. If you are unable to transmit on other modes you may be correct. Ensure the xmit level on the right side of wjst-x window is not set to zero. If so adjust properly and try again. Same goes for Dax xmit level in your pc's sound control panel.
  • Salty Z
    Salty Z Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017

This is what happened today. 40m FT8 40%RF power; had 5 contacts seen on psk reporter, avg 800 miles away. For another hour attempted to transmit again with not one contact seen on psk resporter. Did try JT9 and no contacts either.
    Then used ssb phone 40m and saw my transmit signal on the spectrum, no indication on the rf power and could not raise a CQ.
    i think that something must be wrong with the tx section since it is acting intermiitently and only at beginning of a FT8 session. 
    Do not have another HF receiver to verify the signal

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I would recommend that you locate an external watt meter and a dummy load or to test with someone local to you.  Without some test mechanism you can trust, you can spend a lot of time chasing your tail.

Mike

• Ernest
    Ernest Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Things that you may need to consider:
    1.On FT8 setup click  (FILE) ->Settings->Frequencies
       a) The USA is in Region 2 and the "Frequency Calibration" may need to be calibrated. My Flex-               6700 was off by 1,00Hz: 
       b) I found that it was hard to make contact until I move 1Hz up with the Radio VFO or by 
           adjusting the FT8->Tx 1Hz lower.
    That solved my problems
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Whooo.... no need and there must be something else to your problem with a 1hz error.  I would like to understand that more on why a 1 hz error made the difference. 

To the best of my knowledge, as long as your RX or TX is in the 3khz audio passband the actual VFO reading does not matter.  

The radio has actual calibration in it with SmartSDR. 

Even being off frequency by that much will not affect the ability to complete a QSO.  Time drift will if you clock is not set correctly. 
  • Ernest
    Ernest Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Michael,
    With the corrections to FT8 freq adjustment of 1 Hz is making it possible to make more connections. I don't know what changed or happened; since this happened after the last hurricane. One of my home computer was charred who knows what else? But, I am glad that I am back to normal. The  Rx is set to 3kHz

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Ernest.... I'm not sure I understand how this has impacted FT8. 

When I call you on FT8, you have no idea what frequency I am on.  I don't send you that frequency in my transmission.   

As a known example, my friend's TS480 is way out of frequency alignment (at least 300hz on 160m).   He knows the approximate value and just ensure FT8 audio is in his audio passband.  He's made hundreds of QSO's like this.  His VFO is no where close to what he is actually transmitting on.   

I hope I understand what you are explaining with your 1hz error.  At least, that is how I am interpreting it.

Mike
  • jean claude
    jean claude Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Have the same issue.
    80 watts maximum with a low swr at 1.3 
    F6eju
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Are you able to test into a dummy load and a watt meter?  Make sure you have audio out showing on WSJT, DAX and the radio on the Audio Level meter.  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.