Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

no rf or swr indications when transmitting

KG9DW
KG9DW Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I'm having a weird condition where when keying a mic attached to the front of the 6500 and Smart SDR V1.10.16, I don't show any RF power or an SWR. The panadapter does show my voice.

I unkey and then rekey and everything is fine. This has happened at least twice in the last two weeks and I can't seem to replicate the scenario. Has anyone seen this? Is there something else I should check for to help diagnose?  I don't have an external wattmeter to place inline. 

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017

Perhaps this problem could be better resolved by trying this scenario into a dummy load. RF will bite you in the **** when ever it can.

Jim, Ky6QE

• KG9DW
    KG9DW Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Well I suppose, but I find that it is a bit harder to make contacts using a dummy load. 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    What's your antenna output selected for tx?
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I've seen and reported this problem several times to the Alpha test group. I'm almost certain that this problem is in the software defect tracker.
  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I've had the same thing happen, but it's very intermittent (like it happened once today while working the Rookie Roundup) and it seems to go away just as quickly.  LIke on the next transmission.  However, in my case, I obviously go into transmit mode, but there is no indication on the panadapter, no RF output, no SWR indication, no compression or audio indications either.  It's like the PTT has been activated and I'm in TX mode, but everything else still thinks it's in RX mode.
  • Mike - ZL1MRC
    Mike - ZL1MRC Member
    edited January 2019
    I've seen the same as well,  Has not showed up over the last few weeks as I am now running the latest release.  Been intermittent is does make it very difficult to track down.
  • KG9DW
    KG9DW Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Ant 1
  • KG9DW
    KG9DW Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Has anyone been able to determine if the radio is in fact transmitting and it is just a display glitch? I'll try to catch it in this state and see if the front panel power indicator shows green or red, and if possible take a video. 
  • KG9DW
    KG9DW Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I went ahead and opened a support ticket since I don't seem to be the only one encountering this. 
  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    As far as I've been able to determine, in my case the radio is NOT transmitting when I see the fault.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I have on a couple occasions! 
  • Steve - K6SRS
    Steve - K6SRS Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I'm setting up my new (Flex reburbed) 6500 and have the same problem.  Key the mike and there is an energy spike on the panadapter, but zero activity on the RF Power or SWR sliders.  I talked with Flex at the Yuma HamFest and they said to be sure I had the right microphone selected.  I didn't.  Do now.  Makes no difference.
    Did anyone get this fixed?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    re check all the settings in TX under radio settings, TX inhibit?
  • James Whiteway
    edited February 2018
    Power level, mic gain etc. all effect this as well.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    I recommend updating to the latest version of SmartSDR v1 (1.11.12) and see if the problem still exists.
  • Steve - K6SRS
    Steve - K6SRS Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    In my case it is the Tone switch on the included FHM-1 microphone.  Setting 1 transmits.  Setting 2 is dead.  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.