Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

No audio from heil pro set and will not key 6400 through vox

DonE
DonE Member ✭✭
I have used a heil pro set since I got the 6400 . I have the trs plug from the pro set  in the mic jack on the back of 6400 and the ts plug in the phone . Worked fine up until a month ago  but suddenly it stop keying the vox sent headset back to Heil to have it checked out got it back don't hear any receive audio and still won't key using vox . Bias is off with +20 db. Any help with what I am missing

Comments

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    The TRS should be in the phones jack as its left and right channel and the TS should be in the mic jack.

Rich

• DonE
    DonE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Rich isn’t that not opposite what the manual says ?
  • henrylance
    henrylance Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Haven’t looked at the manual in a while, but normally the TRS for stereo audio on the head sets. The TS on the headsets is for xmit audio output using VOX or using a separate PTT switch.  The rear, connector is for using a balanced mic input.  A “balanced” mic connector used on the rear is a dual type of balanced connector.  It will take a industry standard XLR ( three ) wires or at the same time a TRS ( three wires ).  Both will give you a “balanced” audio mic input.  The balanced connector on the back is for the mic audio.  It is possible to make up a TR to TRS adapter if you wish.  Now you see why companies are making some extra money on selling all kinds of adapters.

now here’s hoping that the 6400 set is the same as the back of my 6500.
  • Paul_Mills
    Paul_Mills Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    No
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Rear panel of 6400 and 6600 only has 1/4 inch TRS jack for balanced mic input.  It does not have a combo XLR/TRS jack like the 6300/6500/6700 does.

Also be aware that by plugging a TS plug into the phones jack you are shorting out the right audio channel to ground. 

Reverse your jacks as mentioned above and test again.  TRS into phones jack and TS into mic jack.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Joe, the 6400s are different than the 6600s. There are some bad pictures floating around but I am pretty sure the 6400 only has a 1/8 mic plug and the 6600 has that and a 1/4" balanced.

Rich
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Thanks for the correction Rich.  Yes, the manual does say 1/4 balanced mic input only available on the 6600 model. 
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    It was a last minute decision at Flex  and some of the pictures on the site were even wrong. So there has been a lot of confusion about that.
  • DonE
    DonE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Thanks for your help. The flex reference manual is wrong . I had used the headset since I bought the 6400 over 2 years ago and I had to send my headset to heil for repair and just simple went brain dead as to which I had plugged where and was going by the manual . You were  right the TS plug is mic and TRS is Phones . Thanks again
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited February 2020
    Hi Don

Can you tell me what manual you are looking at that is incorrect so I can get it addressed please.

The 6400 series only has 1/8" TRS.

The 6600 has 1/8" TRS and 1/4" balanced.

Mike

• DonE
    DonE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Mike Flex 6400/6600 hardware Reference manual ver. 2.1.3 29 January 2018 on page 27 item 7.20 . The manual says it excepts 1/8 trs but it will also except a ts mono plug which i am using with the heil headset. I may have been incorrect in saying the manual was wrong but when it stated it would take a TRS i assumed it would not work with a TS mono which in fact it does . 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2020
    Make sure that you do not have DAX enabled at the same time as VOX.  They are currently not interacting well with one another.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.